Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #1

Pentax F 28/70 f4 FA/AL and Sigma UC 28/70 f3.54.5 AF

Hi,

I have a chance to buy in very good conditions oe of these zooms or both for 100 euros with polarizing filter included.

I should like to try them (one or both) on my K5. Has anyone used them now and can tell me the difference? Is it worth to buy both or only one, and if so, which?

Is the price right?

I read the reviews but honestly cannot decide.

Thank you.

05-21-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax FA 28-70mm f4 is a very good lens. I don't know the prices in Europe; in the US it sells for $80-150, depending on condition and the place you get it from. So, the price might be right. But the lens is known for being prone to lens separation--so check that aspect, to make sure your copy isn't affected. Read some reviews here (which also say more about separation):
SMC Pentax-FA 28-70mm F4 AL Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

The Sigma is an average lens. I'd advise you to skip it. Not worth 100 Euros.
05-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
The Pentax FA 28-70mm f4 is a very good lens. I don't know the prices in Europe; in the US it sells for $80-150, depending on condition and the place you get it from. So, the price might be right. But the lens is known for being prone to lens separation--so check that aspect, to make sure your copy isn't affected. Read some reviews here (which also say more about separation):
SMC Pentax-FA 28-70mm F4 AL Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Can you tell me the symptoms of lens separation, please? How can I see if it's happening. It's important because I can try the lens before buying.
05-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/52385-pentax-m...ain-glass.html

The Zeiss Ikon Contax Camera Repair Website - Overhauling A Contax IIA/IIIA - Lenses (SCROLL DOWN)

lens element separation- how to tell? - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum

Also, google "lens element separation" for more relevant links.

05-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Bought the Sigma which is the autofocus version.
Now I'll try it.
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote

I personally think a good copy of the FA would be better than that sigma model even if it had lens separation. That particular sigma was one of the finest paper weights to ever grace my desk.
05-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #7

I bought mine at KEH for around $100(EX+ condition) with a Nikon L37A UV filter. Works very well for me but it doesn't feel sturdy. Hold on to it carefully. If you dropped the lens or camera then this lens might be gone. I don't notice any lens separation and I don't know what's that. ^_^