Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Happy shooting with kit's lens

I am anxiously waiting for my addition of inexpensive flash and
tripod for assisting my use with DA 18-55.

Thoughts on Dynatran AT CF992 ($81) and Eyetek Digital DS328AZ ($48) flash
will be documented

Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner

And I went out this weekend shooting in daylight outdoor which I find
the kit's lens to perform the best. I am happy with the shooting in
the emotions captured in visiting Palo Alto & Caminol Medical group,
a recently established medical facility

My positive thoughts on DA 18-55.

Thoughts on Pentax DA 18-55 - Hin's Tech Corner

And once I have my flash and tripod coming in, I would put my kit's
lens into the wider angle use more often in the 18-35mm range as
currently, I don't have any wide angle lens in my gear.

C&C welcome especially metering on backlit shots. When I post process to tune up the lighting, in couple of the flower sculpture shots, I get blown lighting in the left.

Thanks,
Hin
Hin

11-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice shots, Hin. I took the 18-55mm to Singapore and Sydney and got some really fantastic shots with it. Sure, it's not an F2.8... but having the 18mm wide angle is very very useful at times, as well as the ability to zoom out. Quality is not bad once you learn how to use the 18-55mm.

#6 and #7: I personally try to keep my shadow or my reflection out of the picture. I know it's tough though with the sun bearing down on one angle. Still love the pictures Bright colors and contrast. The pictures are very lively.
11-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm happy with kit lens too. It's my widest, and most used lens... thouhg I'm thinking about getting something either wider or faster, we'll see...
anyway, some nice pics here, really nice
11-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I really admire how you strive to do more with less ($$$). A man after my own heart.

11-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey Hin, good stuff as always. Like Mike, I salute you for trying to make do with what you have.

The Pentax kit lens, in my opinion, is one of the more underrated lenses by people who don't know much about Pentax.

Of course, here in this forum, we all know about this hidden gem. It's no diamond, but it's also no cubic zirconia in terms of overall quality.
11-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kind words

Thanks guys and I am convincing myself not to ditch the kit's lens. Instead of getting the ultimate replacement as in Tamron 28-75, Sigma 17-70 or Pentax 28-105 f/3.2, I try to stay longer with the kit's lens with addition of inexpensive tripod and flash. The focal length in the kit's is very useful for street photography. And I think that is one of the reason why the 16-45 and the 16-50 zoom are so popular.

I am hanging in with my kit's lens. As Vinzer has put it elegantly

"Of course, here in this forum, we all know about this hidden gem. It's no diamond, but it's also no cubic zirconia in terms of overall quality."

Hin
11-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Cool.

We're hanging in there too... that is... until the 18-250mm is released.

11-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that a Chihuly glass tower in some of those shots? My favorite in this series is #6.
11-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure about the glass flower sculpture

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Is that a Chihuly glass tower in some of those shots? My favorite in this series is #6.
I am not sure about the flower glass sculpture that is a centerpiece in that medical facility. It has two similar pieces with one on main floor and another similar on 2nd/3rd floor. Very pretty when the sunlight shines through the glass with skyline on roof top of the building. I do have problems metering the glass structure as I get many shadows underexposed in the shots and when I 'pp' the light in the windows get overexposed in the post processing. Will a filled flash with the internal flash help in such shooting. I should have tried both the built-in flash for filled flash and auto-bracketing

And I should have a different shot with the FA 50 f/1.4 that I bring along in my bag. But I refrain from using the FA 50 f/1.4 as that day outing is all dedicated to the kit's lens. I felt bad in not using my kit's lens more often once I get the FA 50 f/1.4.

Thanks,
Hin
11-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Selected this picture for HinTheMan Logo

I have currently picked this picture as my future business icon or logo

I like what it represents. It somewhat shows the intensity in me chasing my passion seen through me chasing and shooting into my shadow instead of running away from it.

My future business or any type of endeavor if I ever get it started

HinTheMan - Home

Your thoughts welcome,
Hin
11-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They are in deed very good images. The kit lens is definitely versatile. it is also small, convinient to carry around.
11-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
They are in deed very good images. The kit lens is definitely versatile. it is also small, convinient to carry around.
Thank you for your kind comments. I have selected one of the my snapshot picture for icon of new business that is in the planning stage. I like this photo where I shoot into my own shadow showing the intensity and joy that I have when I capture my image in the viewfinder.

I don't know if I ever will start as a freelance photographer. I am certainly not trained at all as a professional but I like to dream big

Comments to tell me many reasons NOT to dream as a freelance photographer is welcome. I especially like to hear if professional photographer would have a harder time in being successful in caring for one's family. I mean it in a sense of time spending with family while making a living as a single earner in the family supporting a tireless wife and 2 boys. I am asking if a hobby turning into a career is a viable dream that I should try and that if I want to spend more time with family, do the profession in photography and the related have a better chance to achieve a well balance of life, work and passion. I am currently working as a software engineer with some background and interest in art in general. I especially love visual art as in movie, animation, gadgets, magazines, nature and design.

business site under construction:
HinTheMan - Home

Warmest,
Hin (a dreamer)