Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thrift store moron

Just got back from hitting the thrifts in the big city. (Des Moines, ha!) One thrift had probably a dozen lenses dirt cheap. (Mostly minolta mount) One was an old PK Focal 28mm f2.8 for $6.50. Thing is, the person that priced it stuck the price tag directly on the rear element!

I know it was a cheap and probably so-so lens at best, but still... MORON!!!!!

I didn't buy it. If it were a better lens I'd have probably chanced it, though.

Some people are just too dumb to live.

On the upside, at least I scored some good jazz LPs on the cheap.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

05-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
05-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should have bought it, and deposited your 6.50 directly into his mouth.

"Isn't that where it goes?"
05-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
You should have bought it, and deposited your 6.50 directly into his mouth
Ha!!! Nice.

If it were a Pentax Limited or a Bigma or something like that, I'd have probably had a massive stroke.

05-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Ha!!! Nice.

If it were a Pentax Limited or a Bigma or something like that, I'd have probably had a massive stroke.

If it were a Limited for 6.50 I would buy it and get the rear element professionally degooped. Would adhesive lift multi-coatings?
05-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
If it were a Limited for 6.50 I would buy it and get the rear element professionally degooped. Would adhesive lift multi-coatings?
I'm thinking: sponge it with distilled water, keep the price tag wet, and it should all be removable without trauma.
05-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A local pawn shop has a lot of old film gear, with random and often excessive pricing, arranged in the least practical way for determining from outside the case if you might be interested. And they often put the stickers on the front or rear element, or so tight over the aperture or focal ring that one cant move them. Plus they make you wait for a "sales associate" who knows nothing. I've found some minor bargains there, but the idiocy makes me almost not want to go back.
05-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The glass is pretty resilient, I would have no problems buying the lens.

05-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
The glass is pretty resilient, I would have no problems buying the lens.
In the photo shop I used to work in, whenever someone asked about how fragile lenses were, this one fellow would grab one of the lenses from the junk drawer and hand it to the customer who asked and ask them to scratch it. He'd sometimes offer them a small pocket knife or scissors. Most of the time they couldn't produce a scratch very quickly (sometimes they could, which is why the lens came from the junk drawer). Usually they'd have to find the sharpest edge on the scissors and press VERY hard to get a visible scratch.
05-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
In the photo shop I used to work in, whenever someone asked about how fragile lenses were, this one fellow would grab one of the lenses from the junk drawer and hand it to the customer who asked and ask them to scratch it. He'd sometimes offer them a small pocket knife or scissors. Most of the time they couldn't produce a scratch very quickly (sometimes they could, which is why the lens came from the junk drawer). Usually they'd have to find the sharpest edge on the scissors and press VERY hard to get a visible scratch.
It depends on the lens. On some vintage glass, the coatings are EXTREMELY fragile and great care has to be taken to avoid damage. There is also the issue of hazing due to over-aggressive cleaning. Hmmm...can't get that smudge off...where did I leave my emery paper...

Steve
05-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It depends on the lens. On some vintage glass, the coatings are EXTREMELY fragile and great care has to be taken to avoid damage. There is also the issue of hazing due to over-aggressive cleaning. Hmmm...can't get that smudge off...where did I leave my emery paper...

Steve
Absolutely... which is he used junk-bin lenses

Usually when cleaning damages the coatings it's because of particles trapped in the cleaning cloth, or use of a cleaner that's a solvent for the coating (Windex will take some early coatings right off the lens, for instance).
05-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Every country has them and I often wonder; Who breeds these On-Cells. But what really worries me, any of these One-Cells could be in control of a motor vehicle and driving along the same road I am on.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
05-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #13

A bit of Ronsonol should clean that off.
05-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by midori Quote
A bit of Ronsonol should clean that off.
True, I would have bought it.
06-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Last visit to the store I mentioned above, a guy was carefully lining all the lenses up in rows. Face down. Impossible to see what lens each was. Ugh.