Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Zenitar 16mm all M-42 mounts?

I am interested in this lens and am wondering if all of these are actually M-42 mounts but some are made with special mounts to look like factory mounts for different cameras?
I'm asking this since, what if I see a version with a different mount, can I just remove that mount and get an M-42 to K adapter?
I say this 'coz i see same mounts for this for Nikon or Canon and they all seem to look like they have just been M-42 with appropriate fitted mounts?
I might be wrong, this being the reason for the query.

05-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What are the markings on the camera to look for to distinguish it from M42 with just a fitted adapter or one with a specially made mount?
Is there a difference in the markings of the M42 version and the K mount version or the Nikon version with the Canon version?
05-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I can't speak of other mounts, but my Pentax-mount Zen16 is inscribed MC Zenitar-K2.
05-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I can't speak of other mounts, but my Pentax-mount Zen16 is inscribed MC Zenitar-K2.
My K-mount Zenitar is definitely not an adapted M42!

One note of caution regarding the M42 version. It lacks the A/M switch and as such will not stop down for exposure or metering on K-mount cameras. While it is possible to remedy this with a little surgery to make the lens aperture fully manual on a full time basis, it is probably better to just buy the K-mount version in the first place.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-21-2011 at 06:41 PM.
05-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I say this 'coz i see same mounts for this for Nikon or Canon and they all seem to look like they have just been M-42 with appropriate fitted mounts?
I might be wrong, this being the reason for the query.
The Zenitar 16/2.8 comes three ways:
  • Zenitar-M2 M42 version
  • Zenitar-K2 K-mount (non-A) version
  • Zenitar-N2 Nikon mount
All versions are prominently labeled as such. There is a native EOS mount Zenitar, but it is not common and I don't believe that it is a factory product. All other "mounts" are based on adapted M42 lenses.

Steve
05-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Zenitar 16/2.8 comes three ways:
  • Zenitar-M2 M42 version
  • Zenitar-K2 K-mount (non-A) version
  • Zenitar-N2 Nikon mount
All versions are prominently labeled as such. There is a native EOS mount Zenitar, but it is not common and I don't believe that it is a factory product. All other "mounts" are based on adapted M42 lenses.

Steve
Yes Steve, this is the reason why I asked this, I seem to have stumbled upon these variants looking at the photos.
Those adapted for Canon with Canon EF mounts look like they are M42 and the lens marking confirm these as such with M2 inscribed on them.
This auction is listed for Nikon but the lens marking is K2 which I suspect is for Pentax..or are they interchangeable?

This listing says it is for Canon EF mount but when you look at the lens markings, it is M2 and the "factory mount" seems to be just an M42 to EF adapter slapped onto a native M42 Zenitar lens. ~FishEye~ Zenitar-Canon EOS bayonet f/2.8/16mm. ~NEW ~ | eBay
Scroll down to the provided photos and you'll see what I mean. It would seem that the adapter is screwed onto the lens..and I don't see any aperture lever like the K-mount or the Nikon mount.

Are my observations correct or I'm missing something?
As I would love to get the K-mount Zen16, I would like to see if my suspicions are correct and I might just get an M42 for less money if I see at a pawnshop or craigslist.
Knowing the exact lens marking would mean that I can take out or unscrew the "factory mount' adapter.

Last edited by GerryL; 05-22-2011 at 09:31 AM.
05-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Yes Steve, this is the reason why I asked this, I seem to have stumbled upon these variants looking at the photos.
Those adapted for Canon with Canon EF mounts look like they are M42 and the lens marking confirm these as such with M2 inscribed on them.
This auction is listed for Nikon but the lens marking is K2 which I suspect is for Pentax..or are they interchangeable? Zenitar 16 mm F/2.8 Lens For Nikon | eBay
This lens in the photo is clearly a K-mount. It even has the K-mount "pearl" on the lens barrel. These are not compatible to Nikon.

This listing says it is for Canon EF mount but when you look at the lens markings, it is M2 and the "factory mount" seems to be just an M42 to EF adapter slapped onto a native M42 Zenitar lens. ~FishEye~ Zenitar-Canon EOS bayonet f/2.8/16mm. ~NEW ~ | eBay
Scroll down to the provided photos and you'll see what I mean. It would seem that the adapter is screwed onto the lens..and I don't see any aperture lever like the K-mount or the Nikon mount.

Are my observations correct or I'm missing something?
You are correct that the lens is marked as the M42 model, but the mount is not an adapter to M42. Note that there is no M42 pin visible. You can also see that the mount is attached to the body with screws. It appears to be a non-coupled EOS mount without focus confirm. Creating and attaching such would not be difficult for even a small machine shop, but the lens is left with a fully manual aperture. It is my understanding that modifying M42 Russian lenses to non-coupled EOS mount is a bit of a cottage industry in Russia.

As I would love to get the K-mount Zen16, I would like to see if my suspicions are correct and I might just get an M42 for less money if I see at a pawnshop or craigslist.
Knowing the exact lens marking would mean that I can take out or unscrew the "factory mount' adapter.
You are correct in your observation that most of the Zenitar's being sold as compatible for a particular mount are the M42 version with the appropriate spin-on adapter. Remove the adapter on one of these lenses to expose the M42 threads and it can easily be adapted to another compatible mount (i.e. any mount with the same or longer registration distance as M42). However; in the case of the EOS lens above, you would have to remove the EOS mount and replace it with the mount base from a K-mount Zenitar, assuming you could find such a part.

It might just be easier to buy an M42 Zenitar and a genuine Pentax M42 adapter. As I noted above, the M42 version is not compatible with a K-mount SLR without a little minor surgery. If you don't mind having to manually stop down for every shot after focusing (counting the clicks, as it were) then the M42 version might be for you. Otherwise, I would wait until you find a K-mount version that you can afford.

So the short story is that if you come across a Zenitar in a pawn shop and it is marked M2 and has an easily removable spin-on adapter, it can be adapted to fit a K-mount. If the lens is marked K2, it is a native K-mount and will work on any K-mount camera. If the lens is marked N2, it is Nikon mount and cannot be adapted to work with a Pentax camera. If it is marked M2 and is not screw mount and the bayonet mount does not easily spin off, it is an M42 version that has been permanently modified to another mount and cannot be adapted to Pentax K.

Steve

BTW...price new for the M2 vs. the K2 version is the same. Both are available for about $220 USD. I also noticed that apparently there are Leica R modified Zenitars floating around as well. Again, these are m42 lenses that have been refitted with replacement mounts.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-21-2011 at 09:05 PM.
05-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, very enlightening and informative. There are actually some being sold on eBay for $187 with free shipping.
I'll see what I can find and I already sent a message to the seller about the questionable Nikon mount he was selling that is actually for Pentax.
Thanks again!
Now I really know what to look for!