Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
The info provided is not really for you, but for other readers of the forum who may stumble upon this thread. Its a community after all...
No, my info was only only licensed to Matt, for his enjoyment only. Any rebroadcast or reuse without my express written permission is prohibited by Major League Baseball.

05-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
No, my info was only only licensed to Matt, for his enjoyment only. Any rebroadcast or reuse without my express written permission is prohibited by Major League Baseball.

Fair enough

(though in my case its NBA)
05-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Once again this forum continues to impress. Its nice to see a civilized discussion of the pros and cons of the old K 300/4. Im still using a K10 so from a technological standpoint Im pretty out of step. I have found stopped down the K 300/4, like most lenses, performs much better. Has anyone out there used it with a K5? I suspect many of its issues would be less pronounced shooting at higher ISO and f 16. Currently saving for a K5 and hope to put this theory to the test soon.

Tom G
05-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Tom. Not a K5 but the night heron I posted somewhere back in this thread was a K7 at 1600 ISO (and 1/40th) stopped down th f5.6 or maybe a half stop more

05-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #50
Pentaxian

For what its worth I am a new owner of an old copy of this lens and have had occasion to use it a couple times. I bought it mainly to use with the 1.7X autofocus adapter. The lens can be prone to PF but it can produce also. Not that my shots are great examples of that but with what I have so far I think I can make it work. I came across a Tamron adaptall-2 300mm f2.8 just 2 days after pulling the trigger on the K 300 f4 so I don't know now if I am going to keep it but anyhow here are a couple from the K 300mm:

06-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

yes you can see a little color, but it is not ruined.

as for the past discussion, nothing has changed. many of the same people posting for and against.

as I said in an earlier post, those in the K300/4 club have figured the lens out and like it, those not in the club have not figured the lens out, and hate it.
I guess we are on a kind of consensus here- the pink hue in the blue background in your picture is exactly what was unacceptable for me. I would say we all have 'figured the lens out' it is just different levels of tolerance. For me it was two many missed pictures (or hours in photoshop fixing them) so I got an alternative - actually 2: a Tokina 80-400 and a Tamron SP 400mm.
06-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Lowell Goudge: as I said in an earlier post, those in the K300/4 club have figured the lens out and like it, those not in the club have not figured the lens out, and hate it.
I'm recently back from vacation & reading through some old threads--came across this. I find your claim that you acquired estoteric knowledge with the lens, unfounded. There are other possibilities beyond the conclusion you draw out of the polarization of opinions concerning this lens. For example, as Rfortson has suggested, sample variation may play a role. Also, as others have suggested, different people have different levels of tolerance for different things.

I can only speak for myself: I found a better option in the Pentax lineup, one which was less costly---win/win.