Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Here are two of my favorite shots with the SMC 300 f/4, both taken on the K100D:
a) I think Sheryl Crow is beautiful!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I took a SMC 6 x 7 165mm 2.8, coupled it to a 2x tele, and started shooting. The lens was awesome, producing great images with stunning bokeh
b) Jewelltrail, I am just wondering a little more about your setup. Which 2X converter and whats the configuration? i.e. camera, teleconverter, adapter, lens. Do you have some sample images to display?

05-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what I notice different between preset tak's and later SMC taks or K mounts is that the presets have more pronounced longitudinal CA as opposed to latteral CA, although they exhibit both to some extent, the typical effect you get with the presets is that foreground OOF subjects have a purple halo, and backgrouns OOF subjects have a green one. This is most obvious in your Immature Night Heron shot.

I don't have the 300 Tak preset,m, but I have a 200 F3.5 that exhibits the same thing
That is the ONLY setting out of an entire day of shooting with it that exhibited ANY CA. It is such a miniscule amount in such a difficult situation that Im actually impressed. From what I've seen this shot would have been likely ruined if taken with the SMC 300 f4 (not to mention many other lenses!)
05-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Yeatzee - No question the Tak is a fine lens but the SMC K 300/4 isn't exactly chopped liver:

Tom G
Of course not

Though those examples look way over-sharpened to my eye
05-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
That is the ONLY setting out of an entire day of shooting with it that exhibited ANY CA. It is such a miniscule amount in such a difficult situation that Im actually impressed. From what I've seen this shot would have been likely ruined if taken with the SMC 300 f4 (not to mention many other lenses!)
I'm not disagreeing, I feel much the same way, where my 200/3.5 preset has much better control of CA than the SMC-Tak 200/4. I have them both and shot with both on alternate days, at the same place. I like the preset better, even though it is quite a bit heavier

the tele presets have a character all thier own, but unless I trip over a 3004/ preset, I doubt I will buy one, because my other long lens combo, the SIGMA APO 70-200F2.8EX (non DG Non Macro) is every bit as good with the 1.4x and I get AF. I use the K300/4 exclusively with the AF adaptor to get a 500mm AF lens. I have found it to be an excellent pairing with the K7, although the upside down chickadee was done with the *istD many many years ago

05-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks Lowell,

We are charter members of the K 300/4 club. I thought that PF was bokeh. No question the K 300/4 is prone to PF and CAs. In the first image I think it works to my advantage in the out of focus areas. You do need to remain aware of the background with this particular lens. That being said the same is true of all lenses but perhaps a bit more so with this one.

Cheers

Tom G
I think in the end, there will be those who love the lens, and those who hate it, the difference is, those who hate it, never figured it out, those who love it have.

I think the K 300/4 club is fill of the latter
05-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
8540Tomg: I have found if you work with a lens long enough you find its strengths and move on from there.
Agreed, but there is a time when you are trying the lens out. It did not take me long to realize this was not a lens I wanted to work with--too many compromises. After 2 weeks, I moved on to something better. I agree all lenses have tradeoffs, but there were far too many with this lens--perhaps I had a real bad copy? This is the only lens I ever felt this way about. Keep in mind, I wanted to to shoot more than birds.

On the other hand, I loved my Pentax 330mm 5.6--made from a medium format & tele. That lens, uinder $100 btw, had few compromises. I'll post some shots since someone here has requested them.

QuoteQuote:
8540TomgIt seems pointless to me to complain about what a lens can't do as they all have some drawbacks.
Do I sound like I am complaining? I am here to assist the OP: they deserve to hear the good & bad, before acquiring the lens. I surely would want someone to inform me of these things, before I bought into a lens, and invested the time. I do not see it as pointless at all.
05-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed, but there is a time when you are trying the lens out. It did not take me long to realize this was not a lens I wanted to work with--too many compromises. After 2 weeks, I moved on to something better. I agree all lenses have tradeoffs, but there were far too many with this lens--perhaps I had a real bad copy? This is the only lens I ever felt this way about. Keep in mind, I wanted to to shoot more than birds.
to me, someone picking up a lens and deciding after 2 weeks it was not for them has not properly considered the things from the onset.

When I look at any lens, and when I review a lens, many of the things I consider are specification related, but not optical specs, the physical specs of the lens. MFD, and focus throw are at the top of the list.

Why, because especially when manually focusing you need to consider just how far the focus throw is, and how close you can get to a subject.

the K300/4 has what I consider the limit for close focusing as an acceptable lens at about 13 feet. I can generally get closer to subjects than that, so it is a limiting factor. FOcus throw at 270 degrees makes it slow to focus without a little forethought, but that is all it takes.

I have used this lens for about 20 years so, perhaps, I have adapted my shooting style to it, but 2 weeks is not long enough unless you are shooting for 8 hours a day to understand all the ways any lens, I repeat, ANY LENS works.

the biggest negative that I see with the 300/4 is lack of a tripod mount, because it is just too heavy to mount on a camera and support from the body tripod socket. but that is easy to solve, or at least it was for me.

05-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve owned the K300/4 for two years now and I'm still trying various ways of shooting with it. I agree the lens has some issues but overall it’s a joy to use on film. It’s not as good as the K200/2.5, but not many old MF telephoto lenses are.

My plan with this lens is that it will be my longest FL lens that I can hand hold and walk around with, without having to use a tripod. So for me the film selection is most important, as I don’t have the luxury of changing the ISO speed mid roll when the lighting changes. I’m pretty well only using Fuji Provia 400 Reversal film now with this lens and I can get decent shutter speeds and DOF. I also use my K T6-2X rear converter with this lens.

The APS-C sensor brings seems to bring the worst out in some of these old Pentax MF telephoto lenses, so remember these lenses were designed for film so it’s not really a lens fault but more of a sensor issue. Just be thankful that Pentax allows you to use a 35 year old K300/4 on a new DSLR. The alternative is spending 5 to 10 times more for a newer 300mm lens.

Phil.
05-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
a) I think Sheryl Crow is beautiful!!

b) Jewelltrail, I am just wondering a little more about your setup. Which 2X converter and whats the configuration? i.e. camera, teleconverter, adapter, lens. Do you have some sample images to display?
I used a Tamron BBAR SP 2x MC7 converter with a 67 to K-Mount converter. Here are some shots--no crops.

05-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

to me, someone picking up a lens and deciding after 2 weeks it was not for them has not properly considered the things from the onset.

When I look at any lens, and when I review a lens, many of the things I consider are specification related, but not optical specs, the physical specs of the lens. MFD, and focus throw are at the top of the list.

Why, because especially when manually focusing you need to consider just how far the focus throw is, and how close you can get to a subject.

the K300/4 has what I consider the limit for close focusing as an acceptable lens at about 13 feet. I can generally get closer to subjects than that, so it is a limiting factor. FOcus throw at 270 degrees makes it slow to focus without a little forethought, but that is all it takes.

I have used this lens for about 20 years so, perhaps, I have adapted my shooting style to it, but 2 weeks is not long enough unless you are shooting for 8 hours a day to understand all the ways any lens, I repeat, ANY LENS works.

the biggest negative that I see with the 300/4 is lack of a tripod mount, because it is just too heavy to mount on a camera and support from the body tripod socket. but that is easy to solve, or at least it was for me.
Lowell, I respect your understanding & use of the lens. However, for me it was of little to no use. The Ca wa so bad the pictures were useless, unless light was very favorable. I know what I like, and I know what I do not like---the SMC 300 I did not like & it is the only lens I ever felt this strongly about. The 67 165 2.8 & 2x tele allowed me to shoot subjects under any lighting, with nice results. Also, the 67 to K-mount adapter comes with a built in tri-pod mount which, as you know, is a boon.

My take on the whole thing is the SMC 300 K is good on film, where it belongs, but on APS-c it is rendered to little utility. That's my opinion & I'm sticking with it.
05-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks folks for the info... as for discussing alternatives, oportunity makes the 300 F4 available, not an 18 blade tak, or any combination of other items. The input is interesting but not necessarily germane to a thread titled SMC 300 F4.

I'm going to pick it up for kicks, and if it doesnt work, i'll put it back out there and get my money back.

Cheers
05-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #42

I think in the end, there will be those who love the lens, and those who hate it, the difference is, those who hate it, never figured it out, those who love it have.

I think the K 300/4 club is fill of the latter
t

I believe we had nearly exactly the same discussion here before a couple of years ago. I do not really understand why Lowell is getting so emotional about this topic (again).

I pretty much share Jewelltrails opinion - there is a whole rainbow of colors in the out of focus area which ruined about half of my images (and it only took me 2 longer walks to figure this out, too). But as someone said before you can sell the lens for the price you buy it- so why not give it a try?

Jewelltrails medium format alternative sounds pretty interesting, too. You could even try this with the 1.7x AF adapter.
05-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
I believe we had nearly exactly the same discussion here before a couple of years ago. I do not really understand why Lowell is getting so emotional about this topic (again).

I pretty much share Jewelltrails opinion - there is a whole rainbow of colors in the out of focus area which ruined about half of my images (and it only took me 2 longer walks to figure this out, too). But as someone said before you can sell the lens for the price you buy it- so why not give it a try?

Jewelltrails medium format alternative sounds pretty interesting, too. You could even try this with the 1.7x AF adapter.
It's not a question of getting emotional, but my experience with the lens does not give the whole rainbow of colors in the OFF area and I have not seen many images taken with the lens showing this rainbow. Yes it can in some cases do this, as will any lens. The point is, that the lens can and does produce good images on a regular basis, as many who use it have posted. it is hard, therefore to understand why people outright say it is not worth the time and effort.

one thing that is curious is that jewelltrail's shots with the Medium format lens and TC avoid the exact condition we are discussing about here.

as for the lens on film, this has been posted before, from my PZ1 again using the AF TC on ISO 400 film

yes you can see a little color, but it is not ruined.

as for the past discussion, nothing has changed. many of the same people posting for and against.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29940-pentax-s...d-300-4-a.html

as I said in an earlier post, those in the K300/4 club have figured the lens out and like it, those not in the club have not figured the lens out, and hate it.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-27-2011 at 12:38 PM.
05-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Thanks folks for the info... as for discussing alternatives, oportunity makes the 300 F4 available, not an 18 blade tak, or any combination of other items. The input is interesting but not necessarily germane to a thread titled SMC 300 F4.

I'm going to pick it up for kicks, and if it doesnt work, i'll put it back out there and get my money back.

Cheers
The info provided is not really for you, but for other readers of the forum who may stumble upon this thread. Its a community after all...
05-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Ca wa so bad the pictures were useless, unless light was very favorable.
I have some shots like that, but very few. I had good luck with the lens and really consider it a bargain for long and (fairly) fast. I wonder if your copy was particularly bad.

Anyhoo....horses for courses. If we all agreed, it would be a boring place.