Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
is this a good lens?

For my k10d:
Pentax Zoom Telephoto SMCP-FA J 75-300mm f/4.5-5.8

Can get it used for less than $100, and to get my early lens collection going I am looking at used bargains. I picked up a 50mm pentax prime for cheap the other day which, on the basis of the reviews here, is a good lens and I got good value. Wondering if the same holds true for the above.

Basically, I have the kit lens and the 50 prime, and I'm thinking I'd be happier if I had something that had long reach. Ill be going on a cruise in a month, and I just have a feeling I am going to regret not having the reach (assuming I go without a zoom)

thanks

11-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
For my k10d:
Pentax Zoom Telephoto SMCP-FA J 75-300mm f/4.5-5.8

Can get it used for less than $100, and to get my early lens collection going I am looking at used bargains. I picked up a 50mm pentax prime for cheap the other day which, on the basis of the reviews here, is a good lens and I got good value. Wondering if the same holds true for the above.

Basically, I have the kit lens and the 50 prime, and I'm thinking I'd be happier if I had something that had long reach. Ill be going on a cruise in a month, and I just have a feeling I am going to regret not having the reach (assuming I go without a zoom)

thanks
I can't help you as I don't own that lens. But I'm considering picking one up. The price seems too good to be true! And, it looks like that lens is autofocus with our cameras? (I have a K100d).

Talking about cruises, a suggestion which you might not need. I've found that what I really need is a fairly wide angle lens on cruises. Otherwise I'm forced to use software to stitch together side-by-side shots to "make" my wide angle shots. I just bought a used Pentax SMC-A 28mm f2.8 I'm hoping will serve me well. I know it's effectively only about a 35mm after the SLK-dSLR factor, but I'm gonna give it a try! <g>