Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
i did (nearly) the same trip with the 10-17, 35mm f.2, and 17-70. I also brought the 50-200 (cuz it so small) but never really used it. Tripod is a must so i highly recommend you carry the slik.

if i have to do it all over again, i would just leave the 50-200 home but would not change any of these lens choice myself. I find multiple opportunities for the 10-17 to shine, 17-70mm covers 70% of the shots, with 70mm seems to be the longest reach i needed, and light portrait in confine space and natural lighting calls perfectly to my 35 shot wide open f2.0

05-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Sorry, I'm going to strongly disagree. And judging by the interest in long teles shown by European members over at the ManualFocusLenses forum, I'd say that many others will disagree also.

It could be argued that nothing but a single 'normal' lens is needed anywhere. Indeed, nothing but a simple fixed-lens P&S is needed anywhere; I have gotten by with such. I had only a fixed-lens 1.1mpx P&S for my first 6-week trip across Guatemala. But such rather limits one's shooting opportunities.

So, without a long lens: That castle across the river? Forget it. The birds in that tall steeple? Sorry, too far. Hot action down the street? By the time you can run up to it, it's over. Full moon rising over a Medieval cityscape? Nope, too small. This large procession? Can't pick out the details, sigh. Et cetera.

I've learned over the decades that a wide range of focal lengths are damn useful. Back in the day, I bounced across Germany with an Olympus Pen-FT (about the same frame size as APS-C) with a 400mm lens, as well as other cams with shorter glass, shooting in cities and villages and countrysides. More recently, I've bounced across Mexico with the DA10-17, DA18-250 and not much else on my K20D, likewise shooting in big cities and tiny hamlets and landscapes large and small. Not to mention shooting with long and wide glass in tiny places elsewhere.

10-500mm just barely provides enough range. Looking down into a jam-packed town from a hilltop, even 500mm is hardly long enough. Sitting inside a glowing crypt, even 10mm is hardly wide enough. What, just take an 18-135? Not a chance!
As one of those European members I'll chime in: I never ever visit a city or town without a 200mm (either the 70-200/2.8 or the 200/2,5) or even 300mm lens at hand. I consider these long fls as just as indispensible as the short end. Not so much for imaging long vistas, but often for those intrigueing details on buildings, for candids or for compressing the perspective, looking down a long alley.

My kit almost always consists of the Sigma 10-20, the DA 16-50, a Sigma 70-200 and either the A 300 or the 1.4x Sigma tc for the 70-200. Then I always add two fast primes, usually the 24/2 and 50/1.4 and sometimes a shift lens, when I intend to visit churches.

So, I try to cover pretty much every fl except for the real long teles.

Ben
05-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Alright, I will provide some more detail of the trip

1. I will be travelling alone,
2. I might not be going with tour groups, just plan my own stay.
3. First time ever to Europe, no idea what to expect.
4. No idea the restriction on tripod in historical buildings...
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
One more vote for the 15, 43, 77 setup. This is my travel kit also, but I pack those three into the little black DA Limited three-lens case, which means I can put one more on the body.
Well if you spend a day or so in your own world in a big city, then you know what to bring. It aint the Serengeti overhere.
05-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Flash is almost always prohibited--tripods not as often. It depends upon how badly they want to sell their own photos at the gift shop in my cynical opinion.
Nothing to do with selling photos but it interferes with the flow of the public through the buildings , Flash is an issue with the UV and art work

05-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some very interesting ideas, very nice, keep them coming.

1. I am not bringing my Metz 48 because I don't even use it much at home, I can't think of an application for it for a solo traveller to Europe.

2. The bag, the one that I think I will be using during the day is this one, in this exact same mica colour, what do you guys think? Conspicuous?

Whichever kit I end up taking will not be a problem in this bag, and I will still have quite a bit of the room left for personal items. I forgot to check if the Slik tripod will fit in the expanded larger compartment, will try it tonight and report back.

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 05-25-2011 at 08:59 PM.
05-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Some very interesting ideas, very nice, keep them coming.

1. I am not bringing my Metz 48 because I don't even use it much at home, I can't think of an application for it for a solo traveller to Europe.

2. The bag, the one that I think I will be using during the day is this one, in this exact same mica colour, what do you guys think? Conspicuous?

Whichever kit I end up taking will not be a problem in this bag, and I will still have quite a bit of the room left for personal items. I forgot to check if the Slik tripod will fit in the expanded larger compartment, will try it tonight and report back.
I like that bag. What brand is it and do they make a smaller one?
05-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a Lowepro Passport Sling, I think thats the only size they make.
05-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

1. I will be travelling alone, 2. I might not be going with tour groups, just plan my own stay. 3. First time ever to Europe, no idea what to expect. 4. No idea the restriction on tripod in historical buildings...
Bring some sort of set up that won't destroy you if it gets stolen. I know, on my budget, I'd rather run around with a cheap film camera than lug 3 grand of equipment around. easy target.

05-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really don't understand why anyone interested in photography would take less than the optimal gear fearing the good ones could be stolen...I would not worry about carrying an obvious camera bag either...is it that bad out there ?
05-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well the gear will be insured of course.

Thing is, I am going during the peak summer tourist season, so the streets will be packed with tourists with 5D MkIIs with 70-200IS II and Nikon D3x with some gigantic G glass, and even more Canikon consumer DSLRs, I don't think my little K-5 will attract that much attention...
05-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Well the gear will be insured of course.

Thing is, I am going during the peak summer tourist season, so the streets will be packed with tourists with 5D MkIIs with 70-200IS II and Nikon D3x with some gigantic G glass, and even more Canikon consumer DSLRs, I don't think my little K-5 will attract that much attention...
You're right, it won't - at the most you'll end up with a couple intrigued looks from the users of the bigger cameras, that is about it.

We went to Italy over Christmas and New Years. I've always enjoyed wide-angle, and the 15mm was as near perfect for city and indoor photos (the 10-20 or 12-24 are great lenses, but they are far from inconspicuous and not built for travel like the limiteds).

Anyway, I took about 2500 photos over 2 weeks. A check of the exif data at the end of our trip showed about 2000 were with the 15mm - insider or out, it was the go-to lens. Second was the 18-55mm WR kit lens - used when it was raining in Venice (1-2 days, a couple hundred photos), followed by the 43mm (used in low light, longer/portrait type shots, about 200) and the 70mm DA ltd was used for well under 100 shots. I would have preferred something a little longer when I did use it; I thought I read you had the 100mm macro - if I did, I would go with the 15, 43 and 100mm, and the 17-50 if you have room to spare (advice - carry it around a few days before your trip to make sure you're comfortable with having it all at one time!).

Also, all our rooms had safes - I never took all the lenses I had - generally at the most I took 3 at one time (always the 15mm, then 2 of either the 43, 70, 18-55 or sigma 30mm f1.4). Anything more than that became noticeable and felt pointless.

It was a lot of fun limiting myself, or taking only the lenses I thought would make sense for our planned day. I may have missed a couple of angles of shots, but absolutely nothing I regret.

Also, that little manfrotto table top tripod was great, well worth it for a handful of shots, and took up hardly space at all in the bag.
05-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
You're right, it won't - at the most you'll end up with a couple intrigued looks from the users of the bigger cameras, that is about it.

We went to Italy over Christmas and New Years. I've always enjoyed wide-angle, and the 15mm was as near perfect for city and indoor photos (the 10-20 or 12-24 are great lenses, but they are far from inconspicuous and not built for travel like the limiteds).

Anyway, I took about 2500 photos over 2 weeks. A check of the exif data at the end of our trip showed about 2000 were with the 15mm - insider or out, it was the go-to lens. Second was the 18-55mm WR kit lens - used when it was raining in Venice (1-2 days, a couple hundred photos), followed by the 43mm (used in low light, longer/portrait type shots, about 200) and the 70mm DA ltd was used for well under 100 shots. I would have preferred something a little longer when I did use it; I thought I read you had the 100mm macro - if I did, I would go with the 15, 43 and 100mm, and the 17-50 if you have room to spare (advice - carry it around a few days before your trip to make sure you're comfortable with having it all at one time!).

Also, all our rooms had safes - I never took all the lenses I had - generally at the most I took 3 at one time (always the 15mm, then 2 of either the 43, 70, 18-55 or sigma 30mm f1.4). Anything more than that became noticeable and felt pointless.

It was a lot of fun limiting myself, or taking only the lenses I thought would make sense for our planned day. I may have missed a couple of angles of shots, but absolutely nothing I regret.

Also, that little manfrotto table top tripod was great, well worth it for a handful of shots, and took up hardly space at all in the bag.
Some great idea there, yes I do have the 100mm Macro WR, and yes I did say in my original post that I am trying to decide between that and the FA 77, it's slightly larger though.

And I like the idea of carrying the gear in the bag for a few days to see if they work, I might do just that because the Vivid Sydney Festival will be on soon and I will make a few night trips to the city, I can just plan for a full day Saturday, carrying one type of kit, and come back later with a different setup.

I only got the Passport Sling the week before, it worked really well for my friend's wedding last Saturday, I packed my Tammy 17-50 f2.8, Tammy 70-200 f2.8, DA 15, FA 43, FA77 and Metz 48 in it and it fit nicely. Of course I am not taking the 70-200 with me to Europe so it will open up quite a bit of space for my personal items.
05-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #43
Veteran Member

It's a Lowepro Passport Sling, I think thats the only size they make.
I like that. It is very much like my Ameribag, slightly different proportions but the Lowe seems to have better pockets. A suggestion: Lose the inserts; they waste space. Keep lenses in plastic and/or cloth baggies. (All my bags feel different, so finding by touch is easy.) Maybe have a bandanna to wrap the camera when it's packed. (I pad my K20D with a black beret, 'cause I'm like that. A map would work too.) Save room in your bag for important souvenirs, eh?
05-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Sorry, I'm going to strongly disagree. And judging by the interest in long teles shown by European members over at the ManualFocusLenses forum, I'd say that many others will disagree also.

It could be argued that nothing but a single 'normal' lens is needed anywhere. Indeed, nothing but a simple fixed-lens P&S is needed anywhere; I have gotten by with such. I had only a fixed-lens 1.1mpx P&S for my first 6-week trip across Guatemala. But such rather limits one's shooting opportunities.

So, without a long lens: That castle across the river? Forget it. The birds in that tall steeple? Sorry, too far. Hot action down the street? By the time you can run up to it, it's over. Full moon rising over a Medieval cityscape? Nope, too small. This large procession? Can't pick out the details, sigh. Et cetera.

I've learned over the decades that a wide range of focal lengths are damn useful. Back in the day, I bounced across Germany with an Olympus Pen-FT (about the same frame size as APS-C) with a 400mm lens, as well as other cams with shorter glass, shooting in cities and villages and countrysides. More recently, I've bounced across Mexico with the DA10-17, DA18-250 and not much else on my K20D, likewise shooting in big cities and tiny hamlets and landscapes large and small. Not to mention shooting with long and wide glass in tiny places elsewhere.

10-500mm just barely provides enough range. Looking down into a jam-packed town from a hilltop, even 500mm is hardly long enough. Sitting inside a glowing crypt, even 10mm is hardly wide enough. What, just take an 18-135? Not a chance!
Of course a wide range of FLs is useful. But when traveling, some people prefer to pack small and accept the compromise for traveling more comfortably. Bottom line is, people should pack according to their shooting preferences. I personally never needed a long tele in Europe. Just my past experience. What is there to disagree with? I'm not telling anyone not to pack one if their personal preference says they should.
05-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Another 3 prime kit to consider, is DA15/DA*55/F135
I plan getting the 55 and 135 later in the year.

That kit above covers wide/fast/WR/silent/tele.

Slightly more bulky than my fav 15/43/77 kit but a excellent alternative, if WR is needed without sacrificing unique rendering/speed/IQ.