Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
I live in Europe and travel around with my family quite a lot. I only have a 17-70 lens. I feel in general that the 17mm is "wide enough" though a 15 or the sigma 8-16 is becoming interesting. The 70mm is in general not long enough for many shots for what I try to do with it. So I bought an 18-250 DA. I'd recommend the option 1 myself as it is more walk-about friendly. On the other hand, as you'll be on your own time, you won't have to rush after a tour group, meaning you can take your time changing lenses as you see fit.

05-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK update on the bag, the slik will not fit in at all, and there is no place to hang onto on the outside either.

Hmm maybe a mini tripod is not a bad idea after all
05-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Everything keys off the bag. I'll bring two bags to Paris. I have a small messenger bag that fits a body and a couple of lenses. When empty it takes up as much room in my suitcase as a T-shirt. The bag is weather-resistant and we were told to expect some rain. On rainy days I'll carry the K20D, 18-135 WR and FA 35mm.

The Pentax sling bag will fit all the gear; 2 bodies, 2 zooms, 4 primes & accessories. I'll carry the larger bag on the plane and on excursions where the weather is dry and I have time to concentrate on photos.

I hadn't considered a mini-tripod but you guys are changing my mind. I'll have to see what the local shop has in stock.
05-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Nothing to do with selling photos but it interferes with the flow of the public through the buildings , Flash is an issue with the UV and art work
It may be different in different places, but I've been told by locals that they were supporting the maintenance of one site with sales of photos at the store and did not want other high quality photos circulating. In Toledo, Spain, that is one of the reasons given to me why there is no photography at all in the Cathedral--strictly enforced. It was certainly not to preserve the dignity or traffic flow of the location, since there was a rather annoying and loud AV presentation blaring away back in the Ambulatory area hindering both.

I'm familiar with the problems of flash, and it is usually not that useful in historic sites anyway.

Last edited by GeneV; 05-24-2011 at 06:16 AM.
05-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Everything keys off the bag. I'll bring two bags to Paris. I have a small messenger bag that fits a body and a couple of lenses. When empty it takes up as much room in my suitcase as a T-shirt. The bag is weather-resistant and we were told to expect some rain. On rainy days I'll carry the K20D, 18-135 WR and FA 35mm.

The Pentax sling bag will fit all the gear; 2 bodies, 2 zooms, 4 primes & accessories. I'll carry the larger bag on the plane and on excursions where the weather is dry and I have time to concentrate on photos.

I hadn't considered a mini-tripod but you guys are changing my mind. I'll have to see what the local shop has in stock.
That is my thinking, too. I have a small PacSafe bag that is inconspicuous and secure and another that is much larger. What I take keys off whether I am carrying the large or small bag. Last trip, the pair of the 18-55/50-200 was my bad weather kit, with the DA40 serving the purpose of the FA35 in your kit. The 40 is so small, it is just about "free" in terms of size and weight.
05-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The 40 is so small, it is just about "free" in terms of size and weight.
Yes, the DA 40 will be coming along, disguised as a body cap for the K-x.

I don't find the DA 40 quite fast enough indoors on the K20D. I pretty much use it exclusively on the K-x, and use the FA 35 on the K20.
05-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention, I used a timbuk2 small messenger which provided ample room for a camera, insert and all I brought (or what went with me on a particular outing).
05-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #53
Veteran Member

In my opinion the "what lenses to bring" entirely depends on one's shooting style and habit, so nobody else can give a good answer to that.

I live in Budapest (capital city of Hungary in EU) and I can count on one hand how many times I needed anything longer than 70mm in the city and even those occasions were special (photographing bridge reconstruction from across the river for documentary purposes). If you're a zoom guy then a 16-50ish or 17-70ish is what you'll probably use 90% of the time. For a prime guy I think something like a 15 - 30ish - 70ish trio would be good. Streets and places are quite narrow. If you like ultrawides then you'll probably use your uwa lens a lot - I prefer stitching multiple shots over one uwa shot, but that's just me.

If you like to take "detail shots" (of a building, etc) and/or shooting stuff from a distance (across the river, in public parks where there's enough space, etc) then 50-200 or 55-300 will serve you well (or a 135 prime).

Ps: one note about tripods: nowadays there's a trend to disallow boarding the plane with them in your hand/cabin luggage. Quite some people had to say goodbye to their tripod at the security check.

Last edited by simico; 05-25-2011 at 12:56 AM.
05-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #54
Site Supporter

Yes, the DA 40 will be coming along, disguised as a body cap for the K-x.

I don't find the DA 40 quite fast enough indoors on the K20D. I pretty much use it exclusively on the K-x, and use the FA 35 on the K20.
My travel body is the K-x, and I also tend to use the FA35/2 more with the K20d (and film).
05-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
In my opinion the "what lenses to bring" entirely depends on one's shooting style and habit, so nobody else can give a good answer to that.

I live in Budapest (capital city of Hungary in EU) and I can count on one hand how many times I needed anything longer than 70mm in the city and even those occasions were special (photographing bridge reconstruction from across the river for documentary purposes). If you're a zoom guy then a 16-50ish or 17-70ish is what you'll probably use 90% of the time. For a prime guy I think something like a 15 - 30ish - 70ish trio would be good. Streets and places are quite narrow. If you like ultrawides then you'll probably use your uwa lens a lot - I prefer stitching multiple shots over one uwa shot, but that's just me.

If you like to take "detail shots" (of a building, etc) and/or shooting stuff from a distance (across the river, in public parks where there's enough space, etc) then 50-200 or 55-300 will serve you well (or a 135 prime).

Ps: one note about tripods: nowadays there's a trend to disallow boarding the plane with them in your hand/cabin luggage. Quite some people had to say goodbye to their tripod at the security check.
Interesting point about the tripod and security. I've only checked a travel pod in luggage lately, so that was not an issue.

I loved Budapest, BTW. I've been interested to see how much it has changed in the last 25 years.
05-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Yep, I'm bringing a monopod with me to europe next month and I'm definitely putting it in my checked luggage, even though it will attach to my camera bag - I don't want the hassle of explaining to a TSA flunkie that this expandable metal stick is not, in fact, a weapon of mass destruction.
05-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I visited your wonderful city as part of a 10 day trip last year (Prague, Budapest, Vienna) using a EuroRail Triangle pass aimed at these trhee cities.

My complete kit for the entire trip was the following.

K10D, K7D, Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6, Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Smayang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye and Smayang 85mmF1.4. I also took my SMC-F 1.7 x AF TC.

Except for special uses, the sigma 10-20 stayed on the K7D and the tammy 28-75 stayed on the K10D.

The K10D was the body I used the fisheye and 85mm with because it has a split image focusing screen. That is all I used, I never took the TC out, so anything longer than 85mm is so rare it is not worth carrying any longer lenses.

Never took either a tripod or a flash.

Now, if you are not just in the cities, things will change, but my basic approach when city bound is limited to normally the two zooms, and some way to get out to about 135mm if needed, either the samyang 85 plus the AF TC or my K135/2.5. The fisheye is a new edition and the europe trip last year was the first real use for it.
05-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My travel body is the K-x, and I also tend to use the FA35/2 more with the K20d (and film).
I travel with two bodies for two reasons. I want a backup in case of camera trouble, and I do like to carry both in the bag when conditions allow.
05-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #59
Site Supporter

I travel with two bodies for two reasons. I want a backup in case of camera trouble, and I do like to carry both in the bag when conditions allow.
True for me, too, but I seldom carry both DSLR bodies out of the hotel at the same time.
05-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I'd vote option 1 (that's pretty much how I've traveled to Europe, and to Peru), and bring a small Gorillapod or something similar. Regular tripods will get in the way and won't be allowed in most places.

I noticed that you're traveling alone. In that case, just decide how much gear you want to lug, and lug it. As for the long end of the 18-250, I personally use it a fair amount in the city, especially for building details, or in the "macro" mode when up close to something. Slower aperture isn't that big of a problem with the shake reduction.