Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok a few updates and thoughts,

The trip will be 16 days instead of 3 weeks, Rome is cut from the itinerary so it will be mostly UK and 3-4 days in Paris. Still travelling solo, staying mostly at hostels. I am more of a pack light person but willing to carry DSLR for such a trip.

Thoughts after going through the replies:

1. Lowepro Passport Sling as day pack, should be ok for all my gear sans tripod. Still room left for personal items.

2. Slik Sprint Mini II tripod & Remote control F, I have a few night shoots in mind so the tripod will be in the checked luggage when flying and the safe during the day. I will look into mini tripod or gorillapod option for during the day.

3. K-5, another 2X spare battries w/ charger, will get a fast 16GB card, my current 8GB one doesn't seem enough because I shoot RAW, shots will be backed up to my netbook daily(has build in SD card reader), the netbook will stay in the safe.

4. DA 15, pretty unanimous a yes, small and light, my only WA anyway. I think it will see a lot of action during the trip.

5. Tammy 17-50 2.8, surprisingly not much love for this one. I only have it for 2 months but found myself using it quite a bit, very convinient range and good IQ. Is it because of the range or bulk that deters you? I personally found 50mm a bit short thats why I plan to take FA 77 or DFA 100 Macro WR with it. Maybe I should delay the sale of my DA 55-300 to pair with it? or 100 Macro + crop? Taking it and DA 18-250 together seems over kill...

6. DA 18-250, Many people swear by this one and I can see why, this was my main walk around lens before I started collecting primes, IQ is not the best but the convinience it provides is unsurpassed. During my trip to Melbourne this one and the DA 15 covers all my needs during the day, I think I had the FA 43 as well but it seldom left the bag. I found myself using the long end quite a bit, candid of passerbys, Koalas in the trees(not that I expect to see one of those in Europe ), interesting arcitecture details, but it is not very good in low light, focus when it gets dark is a royal PIA, so I am not sure if it works well trying to pick up details inside...Besides the zoom creep is really annoying. But I should stress the difference in situation, the trip to Melbourne was with companion and very constrain in time whereby this one will be solo and at my own pace(I hope).

7. The idea of 15/43(35Macro)/77(100Macro) is interesting, I am sure the IQ from this sort of all prime combo will be brililant and good for low light too cause I imagine there will be quite a bit of interior shots. Problem is I've never really went out with a combo like this before, I will try all prime combo for the next few day outs to see if it works for me.

05-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #62
Pentaxian

I don't think the 17-50 is a bad idea at all, I think you look to have a good set of lenses to take. FWIW my own planned kit for my trip to Europe this year is much like yours:

DA12-24, Tam 17-50, DA15, FA31, FA77.

Left at home will be: Sig 17-70, DA21, DA40, DA70, DA*50-135, DA 55-300. Yeah it seems nuts leaving behind 3 pancake primes.... but that's the plan for now anyway...
05-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Oh, one more thing came to my mind. I don't know what power socket (and voltage) you have in Australia, but in Europe quite some countries have different type of sockets and sometimes even voltage. Seeing that you'll visit UK, they surely have totally different socket type and voltage than France (or any other European country). So it's a good idea to buy a travel power adapter (or whatever they are called). When I visited UK (unfortunately for work, not private travel) I bought a travel power adapter that is compatible with nearly all kind of sockets used in four continents.
05-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #64

good tip simico...

England as a different plug than the rest of the EU.
For france you will need the adaptator to F plugs whereas for UK it's the G plug.

05-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #65

And both the F and G are different to the australia one
05-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll vote option 2,
I've taken longer lenses and rarely used them
My kit for europe always has my DA14, and lately it adds a 26 a 50 and a 100, maybe my 24-70
I always pack in my suitcase a bigger tripod, but only for going out specifically for night shots, though i did lug it around the forum in Rome because I was shooting Medium format and IR film, and iso25 film
a mini tripod would be handy indoors (a gorilla pod is pretty flexible and light - just make sure it's one that can support the camera/lens combo a lot of them are for p/s)
last year i walked about with a 28 on the digital and a Fed 5 with a 35, left everything else in the room 90% of the trip)
05-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Oh, one more thing came to my mind. I don't know what power socket (and voltage) you have in Australia, but in Europe quite some countries have different type of sockets and sometimes even voltage. Seeing that you'll visit UK, they surely have totally different socket type and voltage than France (or any other European country). So it's a good idea to buy a travel power adapter (or whatever they are called). When I visited UK (unfortunately for work, not private travel) I bought a travel power adapter that is compatible with nearly all kind of sockets used in four continents.
Voltage is 240V in the UK and 230V in most Western European countries, so the voltage does not pose any problem. France uses "Euro-plugs" sometimes wihtout the third safety earth, whereas in GB you have these big and bulky and supposedly safe plugs, unkown to the rest of the world. But you get adaptors for both sides of the channel at airports or on the ferry, if you decide to use that.

The Swiss Travel travel adaptor is a very versatile choice of good quality.

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 06-01-2011 at 12:30 PM.
06-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry it took me so long to come back to this thread, hate it when your computer die on you...

Thanks for reminding me the power socket difference, I have ordered a Swiss Travel Adapter off ebay following your advice.

I've been out 2 nights with 15/17-50/43/50/77 and it seems the Lowepro Passenger Sling can do a very good job holding the gear without putting too much strain on my shoulder so I guess I am set on the bag front.

Lens wise I find the Tammy 17-50 really handy for night shoot, f2.8 does has its merits, and the IQ is very good indeed.

I am going to the city again soon for a third night of Vivid Sydney but this time I think I will try something different and bring DA15+DA35Macro+DFA100Macro WR to see how it goes.