Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trip to Europe, lenses to take along

Hi guys, I am planning a trip to Europe in July, London > Paris > Rome and need some thoughts on what I should be bringing.

My current thought is

1. take DA 18-250 as main walkaround lens, and DA 15 Ltd for wide shots, and FA 43 Ltd for low light.

2. Tammy 17-50 f2.8+DA 15+ FA 77 f1.8 or DFA 100 Macro WR, this options weight about the same but got better IQ and low light performance but miss out on the long end.

I am also debating whether or not I should bring my Slik Sprint Mini II tripod.

Thoughts?

05-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both options are excellent, but I'd go with (2). You won't really need something longer than 100mm (although it might depend on your style of shooting).

About the tripod: good at night, if you plan to return to your hotel room to take it. But wandering on the streets of a city for hours will make you want to just abandon it somewhere.
05-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've gone both ways on the tripod. I used to travel with a little Vivitar 99 back in the film days. That Slik weighs about the same, but is a little bigger. If you have a place in or on your bag, it is not a bad option.

Back then, I was shooting a lot of film at ISO 50 or less. However, with modern sensors and higher ISO performance, I find a tripod much less necessary.
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just found out your tripod is a very light type...

05-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas guys, appreciate it.

Yes I bought the tripod with travelling in mind so it is rather light, but the problem is that I might take my Lowepro Passport Sling as my day bag and the tripod doesn't fit in...
05-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought one of the tripods below for my carry around by day travel tripod. At night when I'm specifically going out to take photos I bring my Benro travel tripod (similair to your Slik Sprint)

05-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I bought one of the tripods below for my carry around by day travel tripod. At night when I'm specifically going out to take photos I bring my Benro travel tripod (similair to your Slik Sprint)
Thanks Twitch, that mini tripod looks interesting, so basically you put it on the ground or on top of something else? How about a gorillapod? would that be more useful? I might just pack the Slik into the luggage and only use them when I specifically go out at night for photo shoots, but for something during the day, I am still not sure.

The other issues for me is that as I mentioned before I might take the Passport Sling(Grey in colour) for day bag, which will hold the lenses I mentioned no problem with room to spare, but it doesn't have much zipped compartment in it and the outer pockets are basically wide open, what am I going to do with my travel documents and wallet and other things? From what I read putting wallet in my pocket is asking for trouble....Besides, would a Lowepro sling bag shouts"CAMERA INSIDE!"?

05-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Thanks Twitch, that mini tripod looks interesting, so basically you put it on the ground or on top of something else? How about a gorillapod? would that be more useful?
Yeah, on the ground, railing, chair, even held pressed against anything firm. Gorillapods are more bulky and less stable so are a non starter IMHO. I don't understand the hype around them to be honest...
05-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

what am I going to do with my travel documents and wallet and other things? From what I read putting wallet in my pocket is asking for trouble....Besides, would a Lowepro sling bag shouts"CAMERA INSIDE!"?
I carry my wallet in my front jeans pocket (or if I have a button down pocet I'll put it in that) and leave my passport in the hotel safe when travelling. I've never had a problem but then I haven't been to places like Rio or Mexico city.
05-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi guys, I am planning a trip to Europe in July, London > Paris > Rome and need some thoughts on what I should be bringing.

My current thought is

1. take DA 18-250 as main walkaround lens, and DA 15 Ltd for wide shots, and FA 43 Ltd for low light.

2. Tammy 17-50 f2.8+DA 15+ FA 77 f1.8 or DFA 100 Macro WR, this options weight about the same but got better IQ and low light performance but miss out on the long end.
I would favor the first option (around the 18-250mm) because:
- no (or less) lens swapping, and
- the longer range.

The longer range will be useful to shot places that are not open to public, or to shoot aerial views of buildings from the Eiffel tower.

Last edited by hcc; 05-23-2011 at 09:27 PM.
05-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

In your place I'd take 15+43+77.
I think that setup will cover just about anything you are likely to run into and will keep the weight to minimum.
05-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
In your place I'd take 15+43+77.
I think that setup will cover just about anything you are likely to run into and will keep the weight to minimum.
Exactly, thats my fav kit to take anywhere. Small, lightweight, fast, excellent IQ etc...
it can cover just about everything that comes my way.
05-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My original dSLR kit was the K20D camera, DA10-17, DA18-250, FA50/1.4, AF360 flash, and Raynox DCR-250, all stuffed into my large teardrop Ameribag (doesn't look like a camera bag; is easily defensible; has inside pockets) and it did me well on a long journey across Mexico. I'd now update that kit: leave the AF360, replace the 10-17 with my Tammy 10-24, add my Vivitar 24/2 and Sakar 500/8 mirror. The 18-250 is my basic drive- and walk-about lens; the 10-24 is for small spaces; the fast lenses and small mirror, as needed. And a P&S, for when the dSLR is inappropriate.

I got the Ameribag after having my pocket picked in Guatemala. Luckily I only lost my wallet, not my P&S. Ask me about how it can foil pick-pockets and bag- and strap-slashers.

Some will argue that the 18-250 is too long for Euro-size cities and towns. I disagree. I've shot in small villages in Germany and Mexico with long lenses, and in cramped vertical Arizona mining towns; and I wished I'd had longer glass in villages in Italy and Guatemala. The long focal length lets me capture details that are otherwise inaccessible.

And my 500/8 mirror lets me grab otherwise-impossible people shots, and striking juxtapositions. I used it to good effect just a couple days ago in the crowded plaza here in Santa Fe NM, where I am this month. It would be even better in a hillier town. I originally got my Lil'Bigma 170-500 for people-shots in San Francisco, but that's not exactly a good travel lens.

So, my recommendation: The DA18-250. Something wide. Something fast. A Raynox. All stuffed into an Ameribag along with wallet, pills, collapsible kite, notepad, hat, a smashed-flat roll of toilet tissue, flashlight, calculator (the universal translator!), hand sanitizer, lens- and sensor-cleaning kits, extra batteries and SD cards and shoelaces, map, etc.
05-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you may be missing the wide end. My kit for cities is Sigma 10-20 and tamron 28-75/2.8. If I need to fil the gap I take my old FA-J 18-35

If I want a little length I add in either my K135/2.5 or vivitar 85/1.4 and 1.7 x AFTC

That's it. I find no need for length but lots for ultra wide because you can always get closer but not always move back
05-23-2011, 05:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright, I will provide some more detail of the trip

1. I will be travelling alone,
2. I might not be going with tour groups, just plan my own stay.
3. First time ever to Europe, no idea what to expect.
4. No idea the restriction on tripod in historical buildings...