Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Totally agree on the strength of 3D with the 55, but to me it renders with a little less warmth or romanticism than the 43. More WYSIWYG. Not better or worse, just different. I like having both lenses on call for different situations.
55mm corresponds to the classic focal length for portraits, which is what makes the DA*55 attractive. If I had been able to get a copy that focused consistently, I would now own it, rather than an FA43. I did not use the DA* long enough to draw any firm conclusions about its rendering, but my impression is that the FA43 renders differently and more pleasingly. In fact, the IQ from the FA43 absolutely amazed me from the first shot, which was not the reaction that I had to the DA*55, focusing issues aside. As mentioned above, the latter is a very good lens, just different.

As an aside, it is hard for me to believe that I am the only person who had problems with focusing the DA*55. I tried five copies on a K-7 and one on a K-5. They were all so erratic, that I absolutely could not trust them. I have had no such problems with any of my other lenses.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 05-24-2011 at 09:23 AM.
05-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I definitely am envying fast primes on other systems. My girlfriend has a 35mm L F1.4 on full frame, and that is a MAGICAL lens. I haven't found something equivalent.

Sent from my EVO 4G with MIUI
05-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
There is truth is in what you say. It is a common human trait to identify with our possessions and to seek validation for possessing them. And the when the cost of these possessions is high, the trait becomes even stronger.

But that does not change the fact that there are qualitative differences between things, including lenses. Some people appreciate the differences, small or large, and are willing to pay for them. I have no doubt that many, if not most, of the FA Limited "rejectionists" have never seriously used one in their lives. I also have no doubt that if the prices of the FA Limiteds were cut in half, many of those same people would be flocking to buy them and would fill this forum with gushing praise for their new possessions.

Rob
Amen, brother!
05-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

55mm corresponds to the classic focal length for portraits, which is what makes the DA*55 attractive. If I had been able to get a copy that focused consistently, I would now own it, rather than an FA43. I did not use the DA* long enough to draw any firm conclusions about its rendering, but my impression is that the FA43 renders differently and more pleasingly. In fact, the IQ from the FA43 absolutely amazed me from the first shot, which was not the reaction that I had to the DA*55, focusing issues aside. As mentioned above, the latter is a very good lens, just different.

As an aside, it is hard for me to believe that I am the only person who had problems with focusing the DA*55. I tried five copies on a K-7 and one on a K-5. They were all so erratic, that I absolutely could not trust them. I have had no such problems with any of my other lenses.

Rob
I remember your situation and it still baffles me. I guess the 55 is just not "meant to be" for you. But if your problems are what led you to the 43, that's no bad thing, right?

05-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I remember your situation and it still baffles me. I guess the 55 is just not "meant to be" for you. But if your problems are what led you to the 43, that's no bad thing, right?
That's how I see it as well. Perhaps down the road, I will give the DA*55 another try, but that is not in my immediate future. Instead, I have just placed an order for a DA15. (B&H has a new supply for "only" $509.) After reading so many glowing reviews about that lens, I felt the need to add it to my prime lens kit. I expect that it will give a very different look than the FA Limiteds.

Rob
05-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

That's how I see it as well. Perhaps down the road, I will give the DA*55 another try, but that is not in my immediate future. Instead, I have just placed an order for a DA15. (B&H has a new supply for "only" $509.) After reading so many glowing reviews about that lens, I felt the need to add it to my prime lens kit. I expect that it will give a very different look than the FA Limiteds.

Rob
It will, but probably no less of an immediate delight. I'm not really a "wide" guy, but I clicked with the 15 from the first time I used it. I could be happy with it as my only really wide lens from now on. I may get the 8-16 someday because I find it unique and intriguing, but it will never replace the 15 for me. Enjoy!
07-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #52

i have the 3 amigos now. 31 being the last to join the pack.

The 43 is always in the cabinet now since i got the 31.

Anyone else in the same boat?

07-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I feel like selling my 43 and saving up for the 31 personally... but I really think I need a UWA lens first. If I had the 31 and 43, I don't think the 43 would get much action either.
07-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Lots of focal lengths in the title...but it says it all.

My latest lens acquisition was the 43mm, which I absolutely love. When I want a prime on my camera, I always think of the 43mm. So the FA 50mm and FA 35mm aren't feeling any love. Should I sell them both and get the FA 31mm?
No. I would consider selling the lenses but buying something wider, maybe FA*24/2 just because FA31 and FA43 are IMHO quite close to each other (see the post above by TOMMYX). So I will probably keep FA43 and buy FA*24 if I'm in your shoes
07-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Hi Chex

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I feel like selling my 43 and saving up for the 31 personally... but I really think I need a UWA lens first. If I had the 31 and 43, I don't think the 43 would get much action either.
Funny, I have the same idea...but opposite....more and more feel like selling my 31 and getting 43 + maybe da70. It's just the preference, i guess I like the 43 focal lenght bit more....
07-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Hi

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
A fundamental fact not many are willing to entertain. People need to feel good about their over priced purchases so it's important for them to try to convince others that their expensive lenses are more than just incrementally better. When more than a few people buy into this false line of reasoning I call that phenomena the Sarah Palin effect.
Maybe 'Sarah Palin deffect' would be more appropiate .... just kiddin
07-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #57
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 31 and 43 are quite different in the results, not just in terms of focal length. I see the 43 as a lens for the quirky bokeh effect in portraiture while the 31 is great for punchy sharp detail with extraordinary colour and texture. The 43 is a special little lens that is worth the investment, but focal length preference is a most important aspect for lens suitability.
07-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Hi Ash

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The 31 and 43 are quite different in the results, not just in terms of focal length. I see the 43 as a lens for the quirky bokeh effect in portraiture while the 31 is great for punchy sharp detail with extraordinary colour and texture. The 43 is a special little lens that is worth the investment, but focal length preference is a most important aspect for lens suitability.
I had both and besides of focal lenght I can see bit of a difference in contrast....fa43 seems to me to have bit more contrast and maybe therefore more punchier photos. In regards to bokeh, they're pretty good both of them....
08-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've found myself wanting to go wider, especially indoors, so I think I am going to take the plunge on the 31mm...
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I have the 43 and a Sigma 30/1.4. I keep on looking at the 31 as I think 30/31 is the perfect FL for a walkabout lense and the 30/1.4 is on my camera more often than not - no matter whether you are shooting people, small groups, landscapes, street whatever, it's a great FL. However I'm just afraid that I'm giving up too much to go from 1.4 to 1.8 as I love my low DoF shooting such as this (@ 1.6)

Can anyone post their low DoF shots from the 31 shot at 1.8 ?