Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #1

Lens converter advice for P30n to K10

I have a K10 digital SLR which is about three years old or so plus a very old P30n with two excellent lenses which I think are superior to those in my K10. However they are not interchangeable. Which lens converter(s) do I need to buy so the old P30n lenses will fit on the K10? I have a 28-80mm lens and a 70-200mm on the old P30n.

05-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Carole Quote
I have a K10 digital SLR which is about three years old or so plus a very old P30n with two excellent lenses which I think are superior to those in my K10. However they are not interchangeable. Which lens converter(s) do I need to buy so the old P30n lenses will fit on the K10? I have a 28-80mm lens and a 70-200mm on the old P30n.
Carole, I assume that the 28-80 and 70-200 are Pentax lenses?

You should be able to use any of the P30n lenses on the K10D - if your old lenses are screw mount as opposed to K mount (bayonet) then all you need to do is use a screw mount adapter.

What makes you believe that they are not interchangeable?
05-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
normally, nothing, it will fit your K10 perfectly.
05-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
K10 P30n

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the old lenses screw on to the new camera fine but the camera doesn't work when the old lenses are fitted. So will it work with a screw mount adapter? If so, which one do I need?

05-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
Forgot to say: yes all lenses are Pentax.
05-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using M-class lenses

I would presume that the issue is not mounting the lens but the lack of auto-exposure and auto-focus functions since both camera bodies us the same PK mount.

If the base of the lenses does NOT have electrical contacts there will be functional issue which you may overcome with procedural methods. Also, read the information on the front of the lens -- I suspect that coming from the P3-series camera it will say SMC Pentax-M if these are Pentax lenses and not third party lenses.

M-class lenses are generally excellent and enjoyable to use -- well worth learning a few simple techniques which will allow your Digital SLR to function very much like the P30.

The camera manual will explain how to set camera controls for using various classes of lenses.

You should also find much useful information in the Beginner's and in the Articles forums. Here are two items specific to the M-class lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/32-can-i-use-...td-series.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

You may also find it interesting to read the reviews of your lenses here:

Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 05-23-2011 at 08:55 AM.
05-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks pacerr. My old lenses are A-class (I bought my P30 in the late 80s!) I'll take a look at your two articles and see how I get on.
05-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Your A's should work just the same as FA's or DA's with the exception of auto-focus.

Could you describe what doesn't appear to be working?

H2

05-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

On your A series lens turn the Aperture ring so that the indicator is set to A. See if it works now. Autofocus will not work, you will have to turn the focus ring yourself, but the AF indicator should light up and AF beep should be heard when in focus.
05-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hopefully you'll be working OK now, but I have a couple of points:

By all means make use of the green hexagon focus indicator (and beep) when you're focusing, BUT don't be surprised if your images turn out misfocused. When I first tried this, I was really disappointed with the softness of my images, and I initially blamed the lens. However, a little further investigation showed that the green hexagon focus indication was way out, and this varied according to which (vintage) lens I tried.

So, basically, I ignore the focus indicator nowadays, but I find I have to be EXTREMELY careful when focusing if I want really sharp results. This is because the modern DSLR's "focusing screen" is designed to be uncritical of correct focus, meaning that the viewfinder image will look correctly focused even when it's not (quite).

The other point I'd like to make is that, if you have SR switched on, the camera will need to know the focal length of the lens, and with these older lenses, it won't have this information, so it'll ask you to input the focal length. Since both of your lenses are zooms, this isn't very straightforward. If you want SR to work to maximum effectiveness, then you'd need to change the value every time you changed the zoom setting, which isn't at all convenient. However, you can input a compromise value which will give you some (or all) the benefits of SR, and the values require are 40mm for the 28-80 and 100mm for the 70-200. More info here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/132496-shake-reduc...ll-time-2.html

Do ensure you avoid shooting when zoomed out if you've input a value towards the top end of the zoom range (you'll magnify any camera shake).

Anyway, good luck with your old lenses, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun!
08-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #11

Original Poster
A belated 'thanks' everyone for your help. Jessops said my old lenses wouldn't work and told me a new macro lens would cost me 499. Luckily your advice saved me this hefty sum!