Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Toyo Optics Five Star Auto MC F 1:2.8 28 mm

Toyo Optics Five Star Auto MC F 1:2.8 28 mm
Can anybody tell me something about this lens with K-mount?
IQ, flare ecc.? Thanks

Offer to me for about 20 euros. Is it a honest price?

05-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought two of these a couple years ago, one in PK-A mount (US$25.50 shipped) and the other in PK-M mount (US$33.15 shipped). I didn't need both, and a few months ago I sold the PK-M-mount for US$35 plus shipping. They are decent 28's, competent but unexciting. I always use hoods and didn't notice flare with either, nor fringing.

My remaining Toyo mostly sits in a drawer next to some other middling 28/2.8's -- Access, Accura, Chinon, Focal, Hanimex, Makinon, Rokinon, Sears, Soligor -- all awaiting their turns as lens-of-the-day, while I'm more likely to grab something sexier: Vivitar CFWA f/2, Vivitar and Tamron f/2.5's, Pentax-M f/2.8.

Yes, EUR20 is a decent price. If you don't like it, you could probably resell it for more in a few months. If you don't already have a 28mm, this should give you a good taste of that focal length.
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Hi RioRico,

am really wondering how many lens you have now....

I always read about you mentioning the "lens of the day"... How about creating your own lens of the day thread here? for us the see the quality of the lenses you use everyday. This will help us (newbies) a lot on choosing/deciding and buying the next manual lens...

Cheers and hope you like the idea...

Thanks in advance
05-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Hi RioRico,

am really wondering how many lens you have now....
The current count is 210. I've sold another 110 to help pay for those. I've flagged 20 to be sold (hopefully!) after I return home in a month or so. Then I can buy more!

QuoteQuote:
I always read about you mentioning the "lens of the day"... How about creating your own lens of the day thread here?
Good idea, but I'm sorry, I just don't have the time. I'm on a multi-month tour and spend most of my time wandering around, in-between these keyboarding sessions. I shoot RAW, and my travel mini-notebook hasn't the horsepower for developing dozens of daily shots in any reasonable timespan. Yes, I could switch to RAW+, but I still wouldn't have time to edit and post, as well as cook, eat, sleep, walk, observe, shoot, converse, research, meditate, fingerpick, fornicate, drive, shop, shoplift, etc. Lo siento.

EDIT: Well, maybe. I'll think about it.

05-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I bought two of these a couple years ago, one in PK-A mount (US$25.50 shipped) and the other in PK-M mount (US$33.15 shipped). I didn't need both, and a few months ago I sold the PK-M-mount for US$35 plus shipping. They are decent 28's, competent but unexciting. I always use hoods and didn't notice flare with either, nor fringing.

My remaining Toyo mostly sits in a drawer next to some other middling 28/2.8's -- Access, Accura, Chinon, Focal, Hanimex, Makinon, Rokinon, Sears, Soligor -- all awaiting their turns as lens-of-the-day, while I'm more likely to grab something sexier: Vivitar CFWA f/2, Vivitar and Tamron f/2.5's, Pentax-M f/2.8.

Yes, EUR20 is a decent price. If you don't like it, you could probably resell it for more in a few months. If you don't already have a 28mm, this should give you a good taste of that focal length.
What do you think of the Tamron 28 f2.5? I have one languishing in a drawer upstairs.
05-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys. I htink I'll get it.
05-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
What do you think of the Tamron 28 f2.5? I have one languishing in a drawer upstairs.
Sorry to butt in, but this might interest you:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90340-vivitar-...m-2-5-02b.html

Get it out of your drawer!!

05-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The current count is 210. I've sold another 110 to help pay for those. I've flagged 20 to be sold (hopefully!) after I return home in a month or so. Then I can buy more!

Good idea, but I'm sorry, I just don't have the time. I'm on a multi-month tour and spend most of my time wandering around, in-between these keyboarding sessions. I shoot RAW, and my travel mini-notebook hasn't the horsepower for developing dozens of daily shots in any reasonable timespan. Yes, I could switch to RAW+, but I still wouldn't have time to edit and post, as well as cook, eat, sleep, walk, observe, shoot, converse, research, meditate, fingerpick, fornicate, drive, shop, shoplift, etc. Lo siento.

EDIT: Well, maybe. I'll think about it.
Multi Month Tour wow amazing...
If you ever pass this part of the planet (Saigon), please bring along your 20 (flagged lenses) i could help you dispose some (for my own use)...

If not you can send it to me (hopefully they're cheap)
05-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, the Tamron BBAR 28/2.5 is a damn fine lens. So is my Vivitar (Kiron) 28/2.5. But they are both smoked by my Vivitar (Komine) CFWA 28/2. They need to go on a usage rotation schedule, so they don't get too lonely...

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Multi Month Tour wow amazing...
As I sometimes mention (or whine about constantly; whatever) our usual residence is in a culturally and photographically dead-boring locale, so we try not to be there too much. In past years we drove around Mexico and Central America for months at a time; we could afford that, unlike in USA. Find a nice town, stay a few days or weeks or months, live off the local economy, then move on. For various reasons, that is not feasible now, so we do the USA version for 2-3 months: book a casita or condo for a week or four, drive there, do that, reluctantly return when the budget is blown.

And when we DO return, my other knows that I will vanish for a few months, selling on eBay and processing / editing thousands of images shot on the journey. Back to my cave...

QuoteQuote:
If you ever pass this part of the planet (Saigon), please bring along your 20 (flagged lenses) i could help you dispose some (for my own use)...

If not you can send it to me (hopefully they're cheap)
I'd like to see Saigon and vicinity; don't know if that will happen soon.

Some of the lenses will likely go cheap: a TakB 28/2.8, two M50/2's, an ST55/2, the Tasco 2X Barlow eyepiece. Some are on cameras that probably won't fetch much: two Cintar 50/3.5's on Argus C3's; three Fujinon f/1.9's (6.5-13-26mm) on a Fujica-8 T3; also an Exakta VX SLR body, and Kodak Signet 35 RF with Ektar 44/3.5.

Some, I have great hopes for: two Sigma-made 24/2.8's, an M42 Sigma-Z and a T2 Super-Albinar; an L39 Steinheil Culminar 135/4.5; an MF or LF Meyer Trioplan 100/4.5 (elements only, no shutter). And a Minolta Tele-Rokkor-PF 100/2.5. My other Minolta MD mount lenses, I don't think will fetch much: Quantaray AF LD Tele-Macro 70-200/4-5.6, and Gefitec (Kiron) 85-210/4.5.

Also maybe a Pentacon Praktikar-B 50/2.4, although I may try harder to adapt that to PK mount. Anyway, I will likely post these to the bay in ~5 weeks. Stay tuned!

Last edited by RioRico; 05-24-2011 at 07:51 AM.
05-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #10

Use a lens hood with the Tamron 28 and it will do a good job. But of all the 28s I have, the Hexanon f3.5 reigns supreme but only on film as there is no good way to convert that lens to K-mount.