Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 just came in the mail

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG IF Full Format Zoom Lens

I purchased the lens from 47th street camera on amazon and just received the lens. The lens came with a nice padded nylon pouch along with a unique lens cover with front filter threads--since the lens has a large protruding front element, Sigma gives you a slip on ring to place your filter cap.

Right after opening the boxes, I installed a prepurchased 82mm Hoya pro1 lens protector filter. There is some vignetting with the filter installed at 12mm, which goes away when zoomed to 15mm. Without the filter and lens cap cover, vignetting shouldn't be a problem. I chose to trade off protecting the front element vs. vignetting.

The lens plus camera together make a pretty hefty combination. The lens is built like a tank, so on the upside, the camera feels more steady, but then again I can imagine long hikes to be more of a workout.

How sharp is the lens? Wide open at 12mm, the lens is subjectively sharp in the center and pretty good in the corners. At 100% crop, the edges could be a bit better. Once stopped down to f/8, the lens performs great throughout the frame. There's negligible distortion which is amazing considering its ultra wide zoom.

Color and contrast look good. CA did show up in my photos, but was easily fixed in Photoshop.

In conclusion, an issue some people may have with the lens is a protruding front element and wide open edge sharpness. All in all, the lens is a great performer in regards to its build quality, distortion, color, and sharpness. Also, if there is any kind of future full format support, the lens will fit in just fine.

Here's a shot from the backyard @17mm ISO400 F/16:

Last edited by imadethis; 11-06-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: grammer