Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Tim (Hannican)

The same thing tends to happen in supermarkets. Take cornflakes for example.....here are two packets sitting side-by-side on the shelf and the contents are identical, having both come off the same production line. Yet certain customers will invariably always select the more expensive widely-advertised brand A over the cheaper brand B because they 'perceive' that brand A is somehow 'superior'............go figure !!! No doubt Psychologists would have a field-day with this kind of scenario ?
Anyhow, happy LBA when the opportunity arises.....

Best regards
Richard
I've been selling OEM for over 35 years and the "Brand" thing still amazes me. The same tool except for paint color and 6 different brand names sporting prices ranging from $10 to $70 still makes me laugh. All of the talk about Pentax putting a different coating on the lens is equally ludicrous. The only change in any OEM product is an exterior color like the ring.

Regards,

Ken

11-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Two reasons. In the last week a few reports are starting to surface there are some problems with a few of the Tamrons after a little use.
Do you have any links to those reports? I've been very tempted to buy one of the Tamrons, and I'd be very interested to have a read
11-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The TRULY stupid thing about my brand loyalty is that I majored in Psychology in college so I totally understand the irrationality of it.

AND, for every day, general use items, I always, ALWAYS buy non-brand stuff. But for major expenses, I seem to always fall back to the company line and shell out a little extra to get that comfort of the brand name.

I'm working on it though!

I still like the idea of waiting for the Pentax so I can get the Tamron at a better price...

-Tim
11-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
What price snobbery....

I have the Tamron, and it is superb... way better IMHO than the 50-200 I got with my Pentax in IQ and Contrast, Color etc.

Phil
Agreed!!
The Tamron 18-250 is Nothing like the tamron 28-300..I can't imagine a better lens of this same type unless it has a larger Arp.

11-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Do you have any links to those reports? I've been very tempted to buy one of the Tamrons, and I'd be very interested to have a read
First bad 18-250 shows up.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
11-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

FWIW, I just checked with my local ritz camera. The have it 'On Order' (no ETA) for 499.99.
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Now... are you really sure you're completely impervious to brand loyalty? For instance, would you consider permanently blacking out the name on your Pentax? After all... it's just a name and that name plate doesn't really add to the IQ.

It seems to me that we don't have enough evidence to make a definitive statement about the new Pentax zoom. All of this is purely speculation and we'll only know for certain when the lens is actually out there, tested in the field and on the bench. For my part, I purposely bought a Pentax camera and I intend to buy into the Pentax system. I've always admired Pentax optics having had several friends with Pentax systems. I, however, was deeply committed to another line and therefore could not indulge myself (until now). I have full intentions of getting the Pentax zoom when it is released UNLESS there is a huge difference that I believe I simply cannot justify. I suspect the IQ will be better than that of the Tamron but only time will tell.

All the best.

11-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
I have full intentions of getting the Pentax zoom when it is released UNLESS there is a huge difference that I believe I simply cannot justify. I suspect the IQ will be better than that of the Tamron but only time will tell.

All the best.
Well, you might want to get that calculator busy to figure out what you will accept as "huge difference". Most recent price check shows the Tamron at $371 US. Too big a difference for me to want to wait.
11-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #24

Redwood10D, wondering which store is carrying this lens for 371. Google didnt have an answer for me
11-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Amazon still have the Tammy at $499 so I'm curious as well.

I'm willing to go for about a hundred difference. Beyond that... well... I may have to reconsider.
11-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I paid 489.00 for my Tamron 18-250mm and with it being so new, I do not see anyway to get it for 379.00...You must be thinking of the 18-200mm lens...

Anyway, That Tamron 18-250 is worth every penny at 500 bucks...
11-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

It is a mind game.

There has been an experiment on TV, here in Holland, where they've put 2 chairs in a shop, next to each other. They are identical, except one in priced double.
They show you a lot of people trying the two chairs, arguing that the most expensive actually sits better.
At the end of the day, the expensive chairs were sold more than the cheaper priced ones.

You do not always get what you pay for.

Do whatever you like.
It is your money.

- Bert
11-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I paid 489.00 for my Tamron 18-250mm and with it being so new, I do not see anyway to get it for 379.00...You must be thinking of the 18-200mm lens...

Anyway, That Tamron 18-250 is worth every penny at 500 bucks...
Nope, I said what I wanted to say, $371 and now with free shipping. However be prepared to do a bit of a dance with them.
Camera Addict.com
CameraAddict.com - Tamron*Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF
11-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Redwood10D Quote
Nope, I said what I wanted to say, $371 and now with free shipping. However be prepared to do a bit of a dance with them.
Camera Addict.com
CameraAddict.com - Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF
I stand corrected..
Is it possible it is a grey market lens? Do they really have them?
11-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Looks like they won't sell it at that price unless you buy a bunch of overpriced accessories.... they are a bait and switch outfit. Do a google search. Wouldn't go near them after what I read.