Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member
sany's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 428
has anyone used this hood for DA 35mm f2.4?

JJC Lens hood for PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.4 AL PH-RC49 - has anyone tried this on 35mm f2.4 to confirm it is free of vignetting etc.,

05-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member
raymeedc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 951
I use this Pentax hood.....
Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video

No vignetting, folds to retain compact lens size, & protects the lens..... & it's a Pentax.
05-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I use this Pentax hood.....
Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video

No vignetting, folds to retain compact lens size, & protects the lens..... & it's a Pentax.
I applaud your absolute loyalty to the Pentax brand but too zealous I think, considering the same rubber lens hood without the Pentax logo can be had for just 1/5th of the price shipped. 49mm Rubber Lens Hood for Standard & Wide & Tele Focus on eBay.ca (item 260745280740 end time 29-May-11 12:52:23 EDT)

Thanks,
05-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,113
I use a generic screw on rubber hood ($4.73 on ebay) that works well, but you have to remove it to put the lens cap on. I have purchased a copy PH-SA49 square clip on hood ($13.99 ebay). However I won't be able to try it yet, I loaned the lens to my daughter for a trip to Korea. I may see her Monday, but most likely the next weekend. I'll have to post the result.

05-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member
raymeedc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 951
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I use a generic screw on rubber hood ($4.73 on ebay) that works well, but you have to remove it to put the lens cap on.
The Pentax version, among others, accepts a pinch-type hood without removal.

Last edited by raymeedc; 05-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.
05-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member
raymeedc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 951
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I applaud your absolute loyalty to the Pentax brand but too zealous I think, considering the same rubber lens hood without the Pentax logo can be had for just 1/5th of the price shipped. 49mm Rubber Lens Hood for Standard & Wide & Tele Focus on eBay.ca (item 260745280740 end time 29-May-11 12:52:23 EDT)

Thanks,
I agree theoretically with your analysis, but unfortunately following that route doesn't always work out in the real world with certain products. After "saving myself a few bucks" by ordering two Chinese rubber hoods, one ripping soon after purchase during normal usage, & one misshapen enough to be annoying. I finally "bit the bullit" & shelled out the $14 for a Pentax..... just my personal experience, as I'm sure there are many fine generic hoods out there. I figure you cut the odds a bit of getting a disfunctional product when buying from a company that has a vested interest in maintaining a reasonable amount of quality control..... especially when the difference is only a few bucks.
By the way, the the hood you referenced through the link you've provided is a 3 stage humongous hood that is totally inappropriate for such a small lens, IMHO. They're meant for zooms.
05-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I agree theoretically with your analysis, but unfortunately following that route doesn't always work out in the real world with certain products. After "saving myself a few bucks" by ordering two Chinese rubber hoods, one ripping soon after purchase during normal usage, & one misshapen enough to be annoying. I finally "bit the bullit" & shelled out the $14 for a Pentax..... just my personal experience, as I'm sure there are many fine generic hoods out there. I figure you cut the odds a bit of getting a disfunctional product when buying from a company that has a vested interest in maintaining a reasonable amount of quality control..... especially when the difference is only a few bucks.
By the way, the the hood you referenced through the link you've provided is a 3 stage humongous hood that is totally inappropriate for such a small lens, IMHO. They're meant for zooms.
It seems that you've had a string of bad luck with lens hood, hence your choice to go with the Pentax brand. I have a DA 17-70 (no)SDM MF lens, that's already had the SDM motor replaced once before. Quality control - ok, if you say so.

Any rubber hood is big, it has to be since it collapses onto itself. The 3 stage hood is more versatile in that it can be used with wide angle, normal and telephoto lens. Downside is that it is little bigger than the more conventional rubber hoods.

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
The Pentax version, among others, accepts a pinch-type hood without removal.
They all do. I have no trouble capping and uncapping the lens cap while the hood is in place. The three stage hood is big enough that even a side pinch cap can be used to cover and uncover the lens even when the lens hood is extended (2nd stage). It can work when the hood is fully extended but my fat fingers will most likely do damage to the hood, hastening it's failure.

As I have previously said, all rubber lens hoods are big. The compact bags and packs that cradle the lens snugly, rubber lens hoods cannot be kept on the lens without distorting them in the bag, which can become permanent if left in the bag for long periods of time. Trying to find an original equipment bayonet hoods can be costly, that's if you can find one at all. I was searching for lens hoods on eBay and I came across this one:

MATIN Camera Lens Hood 55mm(Can be equipped backwards) on eBay.ca (item 270578363989 end time 07-Jun-11 01:52:16 EDT)

It's a bayonet mount, hard lens hood that will mount onto the filter ring (appropriate for most MF Pentax lenses because their lack of bayonet locks on the lens barrel). The hoods can be reversed to maintain compactness, and there's no need to worry about distorting the hard lens hood, while cramming the lens into present day bags and packs. I am looking through my lenses to see which 3 or 4 filter sizes I should order.

Thanks,
05-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
New Member
Lochlyn Deckard's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote

... I was searching for lens hoods on eBay and I came across this one:

MATIN Camera Lens Hood 55mm(Can be equipped backwards) on eBay.ca (item 270578363989 end time 07-Jun-11 01:52:16 EDT)

It's a bayonet mount, hard lens hood that will mount onto the filter ring (appropriate for most MF Pentax lenses because their lack of bayonet locks on the lens barrel). The hoods can be reversed to maintain compactness, and there's no need to worry about distorting the hard lens hood, while cramming the lens into present day bags and packs. I am looking through my lenses to see which 3 or 4 filter sizes I should order.

Thanks,

That looks like a nice option, but the hood looks fairly large. Do you think vignetting might be a problem?

05-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by Lochlyn Deckard Quote
That looks like a nice option, but the hood looks fairly large. Do you think vignetting might be a problem?
It won't work for wide to tele zooms, since hoods on a zoom lens is only adequate for it's widest focal length. I am thinking of using it for macro lens, standard and telephoto prime lenses. If there is any vignetting with these hoods on a prime lens, I can always start up the belt sander and slowly whittle down the hood length until the vignetting problem disappears. For the zooms, I will have to put up with carrying around the 3 stage soft rubber lens hoods.

Thanks,
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da 35mm, f2.4, hood, hood for da, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 35mm f2.4 AL lens - My hood and cap solution LowVoltage Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 03-09-2012 10:51 AM
Lens Hood for DA 35mm F2.4 AL Jordan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 11-16-2010 12:27 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 35mm/2.0-M w/Hood (Worldwide) pcb_rf Sold Items 5 05-05-2010 05:21 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC K 35mm/2 35mm F2 Rare Collector's Item, w/ Metal Hood (Worldwide) frank Sold Items 16 04-07-2010 05:03 AM
For Sale - Sold: Takumar 49mm lens hood for a 35mm/F2 or 35mm/F3.5 with case SteveM Sold Items 3 11-24-2009 05:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top