Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 50-200 is noticeably smaller and lighter than the 55-300 (not that the latter is unusually large or heavy), and the 50-200 available in a WR version while the 55-300 is not as far as I know. Aside from that, though, the 55-300 is definitely the better lens by all accounts. Up to you whether it's worth it to you, but if you are extremely particular about size/weight or about WR, that could be an actual advantage to the 50-200. Definitely nothing that people would generally agree is *better* than the 55-300 for anything close to the price.

05-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote

Are the optics in some batches of these bad or are they all pretty consistent?
I think it wise to assume that all modern mass-market zooms are suspect in terms of sample variation, so I'd approach any purchase with this in mind. So, when you buy, have in mind that you may need to get a replacement lens, or a refund. And, of course, give your new purchase a thorough test for decent sharpness across the frame at various zoom settings and apertures.
05-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll chime in. I have a Tamron 70-300 zoom, it focuses well and performs nicely. It has a lot of purple fringing above 150mm or so. Too much, it spoils shots. For identifying birds and getting images in canopies it's fine but for truly remarkable shots the fringing spoils the effect.

I'm buying a DA55-300, I'm tired of the PF and my wife constantly mentions it. I take that as tacit approval to buy a new lens.

As well as the Tammy has served me, and it's certainly affordable, it's hard to recommend if you know you really need a good tele-zoom.
05-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'll chime in. I have a Tamron 70-300 zoom, it focuses well and performs nicely. It has a lot of purple fringing above 150mm or so. Too much, it spoils shots. For identifying birds and getting images in canopies it's fine but for truly remarkable shots the fringing spoils the effect.

I'm buying a DA55-300, I'm tired of the PF and my wife constantly mentions it. I take that as tacit approval to buy a new lens.

As well as the Tammy has served me, and it's certainly affordable, it's hard to recommend if you know you really need a good tele-zoom.
Not sure if you're aware, but depending on the type of PF, it can be easy to remove in post-process. More here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/94152-removing-...ging-hard.html

Of course if you still want that new lens, maybe you don't want to mention this to your wife...