Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

70-300mm lenses and K100d

I would like to add a lens to my K100d for taking pictures of birds at the feeder in my back yard. I currently have a SMC FA 80-200 which is not quite long enough. I am thinking about these two lenses:

Sigma 70-300mm f4 DG APO Macro
Tamron AF70-300mm f4 DI LD Macro

I have read these two lenses are pretty close in quality and features. But I've read that the Tamron may have some issues with "purple" in the high contrast areas at 300mm. Since most of the shots I'd take would be near 300mm, any suggestions? Does the Sigma have the same issues?

PS, I'd love to go with a longer lens, but haven't had any luck finding one I can afford......$200 is about tops.

Thanks.

Last edited by Papersniper; 11-07-2007 at 07:16 AM.
11-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Something wrong with your other post? - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/14482-compare-...af-lenses.html

11-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
"Something wrong with your other post? - Compare 70-300mm AF lenses"

Must be, I'm not getting answers! As they say, inquiring minds want to know. I also stumbled on the "purple issue" and wonder about that.

I'd still like to find a longish prime lens I can afford, but doesn't look too promissing. I suppose one would be limiting for my type of photography anyhow. I don't plan on getting anything published or probably even printed. I just take shots for me and my family.
11-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Papersniper Quote
"Something wrong with your other post? - Compare 70-300mm AF lenses"

Must be, I'm not getting answers! As they say, inquiring minds want to know. I also stumbled on the "purple issue" and wonder about that.

I'd still like to find a longish prime lens I can afford, but doesn't look too promissing. I suppose one would be limiting for my type of photography anyhow. I don't plan on getting anything published or probably even printed. I just take shots for me and my family.
You can pick up some bargains on e-bay. The Promaster 70-300 is nothing more the the Tamron 70-300 di LD macro lens. There is one on e-bay now with a bid of $49.95 and I'll bet that it will go for around $75 - $90.

Just do a search for "Promaster 70-300mm".

Oh, and the PF issue. High Contrast, wide open will have some PF issues.

11-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

So why not keep all your questions in the same post?

Anyway, yes the Tamron has PF issues. You're going to have to accept that a sub-$200 70-300mm lens is going to have some issues. There's no free lunch....

Next step up is a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 for around $1000.
11-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i use a Sigma APO micro super 70-300 4-5.6 (this is the older lens non digital) I LOVE it

it works like a charm built nice good all around lens
11-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
... The Promaster 70-300 is nothing more the the Tamron 70-300 di LD macro lens. T...
Just do a search for "Promaster 70-300mm".

Oh, and the PF issue. High Contrast, wide open will have some PF issues.
Thank you very much. I'd seen the Promaster but had no idea what it was. I've also seen "Quantaray" lenses. Not sure of the spelling, but I seem to recall those lenses are sold by Wolf Camera but I suspect they are re-branded lenses from a larger company.

11-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
So why not keep all your questions in the same post?
It's obvious; I am now getting answers!

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, yes the Tamron has PF issues. You're going to have to accept that a sub-$200 70-300mm lens is going to have some issues. There's no free lunch....

Next step up is a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 for around $1000.
I understand about the "PF issues" with the Tamron which costs about $200 along with the Sigma. However, I was curious if the equivalent Sigma has the same issue. If it has been addressed as much as with the Tamrom I've missed it. But then again I've only been "reading up" on those two lenses for a couple of days. I'm hoping someone more experience than I am can answer that.

The Sigma 100-300 you mention sounds like a fine lens. Those are the ones we dream about showing up in a pawn shop for $200, right
11-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
i use a Sigma APO micro super 70-300 4-5.6 (this is the older lens non digital) I LOVE it

it works like a charm built nice good all around lens
Thanks for that. It's good to hear a lens I am considering is being used effectively by others with more experience than me......which probably includes most on this forum!

I will have to do some research on the "non-digital" thing you mentioned. I understand the APO is some sort of lens multi-coating, but on the other I am less informed.
11-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Papersniper Quote
It's obvious; I am now getting answers!

I understand about the "PF issues" with the Tamron which costs about $200 along with the Sigma. However, I was curious if the equivalent Sigma has the same issue. If it has been addressed as much as with the Tamrom I've missed it. But then again I've only been "reading up" on those two lenses for a couple of days. I'm hoping someone more experience than I am can answer that.

The Sigma 100-300 you mention sounds like a fine lens. Those are the ones we dream about showing up in a pawn shop for $200, right
I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens which if I recall correctly sells for about $230. I've taken several hundred pictures with it, and never noticed any purple fringing.

CN
11-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

I've got the Sigma APO DG 70-300mm. If you do a search I've got a thread about comparing old Pentax primes (primarily the M135/3.5) to this Sigma.
I also spent some time at my local retailer comparing the Promaster (Tamron?) and the Pentax DA 50-200.
They all had strengths and weaknesses. The Pentax DA I sampled was noticeably sharper than the Sigma or Tamron. If my local camera shop was more competitive price wise I'd probably own it instead of the Sigma I have. The Promaster was surprisingly decent for the money BUT slightly softer and less contrast than the DA. The Sigma has good contrast and color, but was the softest of the three. I got a pretty good deal on Ebay, so I can live with it. A little Photoshop sharpening however gets it there for my taste on most of my shots.
The macro works surprisingly well if you've got plenty of light or a tripod/still subject.
For the money, the Tamron, Pentax DA 50-200, and Sigma are good buys. If you can live with 200mm - the Pentax would be my choice. If CA doesn't bother you - the Tamron bears consideration. The Sigma lacks a little sharpness @200-300 but has fewer CA issues.
What is most important to you? Keep in mind, above 200mm its often tough to shoot without a tripod - regardless of lens. This is often much more of a factor than individual differences in lenses.
I'm considering selling all my primes and zooms above 50mm and getting a DA 50-135....
I'm going on a Nature hike this weekend to see just how important long glass really is to me.
11-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
"....I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens which if I recall correctly sells for about $230. I've taken several hundred pictures with it, and never noticed any purple fringing.."

Thanks for that, Clem, exactly what I was wanting to hear from a user.
11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that info Jason. Interesting.

I pretty much need something in the 300mm range for the birds in my backyard. I have a Pentax 80-200 which I picked up at Wolf when I bought my K100d abut a month ago. I paid all of $65 for the lens! I figured it was going to not be very good, but I am amazed at the shots I'm getting. All pictures have been taken on very sunny mornings, mainly of my grandson playing soccer and his other team members taken at the far end of the zoom, but also some "sneaky" portrait shots at the 80mm length. I am pleased with this lens; can't believe what I got for only $65! Now, I have to admit I am no expert, but for my needs and wants the lens is doing a very good job.

Here are links to a few selected at random, untouched with PS Elements; (I can't seem to get the "Insert Image" to work)
One

Two

Three
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have just bought the Sigma 70-300 DG (non APO) and I have not had any purple fringing with it.

It has replaced my old Sigma 100-300 DL lens which was too slow

It is a great lens and worth considering.
11-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
Inactive Account

For what it's worth, I used the Sigma for a bit and definitely noticed purple fringing. Same as with my Tamron. But be aware that in both cases it's not simply a case of purple fringing popping up randomly. It's something which is largely unavoidable when shooting certain subjects in certain lighting conditions (and by the same token avoidable by not shooting those subjects in those lighting conditions)... with any of the budget zooms whether Tamron, Sigma or Pentax, you may get images with purple fringing, or you may not... but it's not really a "purple fringing problem" with one or two specific lenses.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 11-08-2007 at 04:26 PM.