Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Hi Peter. I was referring to the FA50/1.4 specifically. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to re-release it or even change the name and say it's DA just to make people think it's an improved version of the old FA50/1.4. besides, we already have the 55 lens which is a great lens and better lens than the old FA50. and the only way that Pentax could release a new 50mm would be to release a DA or AF version of a faster(aperture) 50mm than the 55.

it's true that AF could be very well be a problem for the 1.2 and I'm not sure if Pentax is going to do something about it. besides, the fast 85s also faces the same dilemma as far as focus accuracy at wide open is concerned, but at least it is resolved by stopping down. I think a future 50/1.2 would also have to live with stopping at f1.4 for AF, and MF at 1.2 which is fine by me. or Pentax may try designing a new camera with a much better AF system with a compatible AF mechanism for the lens, or they may plainly use a DC motor for the lens which they say focuses much faster and more accurately.
No problem Aris,
In fact just re-releasing relabeled FA50 wouldn't make huge sense, but...the same optics+metal ltd build, keep it 1.4, keep it screw driven, squeeze in extendable hood, update coatings... Not much is needed IMO to have digital replacement of 77ltd.

From my POV the inaccurate AF is largely due to size of Safox's cross sensors, they are simply way too large to be accurate IMO.
Even with 55/1.4 it's a challenge, today I was trying to take a shot of mrs where thanks to her looking down the angle was such that only the eye is in focus. I had to take like 6 shots to get the focus right!

05-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Even with 55/1.4 it's a challenge
First, no question the 55 is a good update to the 50. 55 is an even better focal length (I keep my k55 around for a reason), but I would agree with Axl - the 50 could easily be a formidable DA LTD (or simple DA)... in fact, it would even be a good DA L... although only a little different than the FA (coatings mostly).

Anyways, I don't think the 50 is outdated at all... its just useful in a different way. What a cracking lens . Anything that can hold it's own alongside a LTD is worth respecting,.

What I would do for a DA LTD 50 1.2....
05-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
... but I would agree with Axl - the 50 could easily be a formidable DA LTD.... it would even be a good DA L...
What I would do for a DA LTD 50 1.2....
Thanks,
It seems that after we got off to a bad start, we seem to be agreeing on quite a few topics
DA50/1.2 Ltd? Hell yes, that would be nice!
And DA L 50/1.4? Well, maybe if they made it 1.7 then it could be starter's portrait lens. Imagine first kit DA L35/2.4 + DA L50/1.7 with upgrade path of FA31ltd + DA*55
05-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Very nice reading in here Good discussions!

Personaly i want to take portraits with my FA 77 on a FF camera I find that taking kids photography, wich i do alot, the "50-85mm or so, common belief" is to compressed.

Being closer with i.e the 43 Ltd works like a charm, and feels like a natural aproach to litle children (them being smaller that adults) and also bringing the surroundings into the frame.

05-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Well, maybe if they made it 1.7 then it could be starter's portrait lens. Imagine first kit DA L35/2.4 + DA L50/1.7 with upgrade path of FA31ltd + DA*55
this would be another good alternative for an update as well. and I wouldn't mind if Pentax would just slightly modify the optics but still follow the same optical formula, if not keep the optics as they are if they are short on the funds. considering there aren't that many copies of these things. personally, a coating update and build change would be enough for this lens. if not, they could as well add 1 or 2 more blades and make them circular. this would make the lens even more pleasing OOF highlights at slower apertures. the price however would be tricky depending on what Pentax would like to play it. if it's something like a DA*, this might cost slightly less than the DA*55, by a hundred bucks. or a D/FA LTD which could cost the same or slightly over the DA*55 by a hundred bucks. although the 1.7 might qualify as a DA LTD due to size, the faster aperture speed however would mostly suggest it's better suited as an FA LTD.
05-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not so much concerned with size as I am sharpness wide open and speed (both AF and Aperture). I think the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 to be very sharp at f/1.4 and f/2.0 is excellent for portraits.
05-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
suggest it's better suited as an FA LTD.
I like this idea, but I do hope that Pentax is going to be willing to introduce some faster primes that are part of the DA ltd. line... or even "update" the FA ltds to have quickshift. I'm dissatisfied with the delineation between aperture ring + no quickshift + fast limiteds and no aperture ring + quickshift + slow limiteds. There should be more lenses like the DA* 55 (nb full frame compatible), without the SDM, and with an aperture ring... and the could easily be a DA ltd... perhaps, a DA* ltd?

Biggest problem with the 50 1.7 was the number of aperture blades... one or two more would make a huge difference.
05-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And FWIW, the 50/1.4 is nearly the same as the 43Ltd to my eyes...the 43 has very slightly better bokeh...very slightly better contrast. Bought both, but I like the metal feel of the 43 better (yeah, dumb reason :-)

I've also heard the Sigma 50/1.4 is sharp wide open...

05-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
And FWIW, the 50/1.4 is nearly the same as the 43Ltd to my eyes...the 43 has very slightly better bokeh
I actually think this about the 50 1.7. The 43 has better bokeh and colour, but they tend to render very similarly. The 50 1.4, on the other hand, is less about brutal sharpness and more about a soft, dreamy rendering, which reminds me of the 77 more than the 43 .

If you can't swing the 43, you can get respectably close with the 50 1.7, some practice (and a hood). Unfortunately, the FL is noticeably tighter.
05-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I cant speak for the 50 f/1.4 as i dont have it, but the 50 f/1.7 is very much different to the FA43.
05-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
've also heard the Sigma 50/1.4 is sharp wide open...
The sigma samples I've seen show it to be substantially sharper at f1;4 which I would imagine contributes substantially to the *limited* look... of course, the lens is quite large compared to one of the limiteds. The sigma is a serious lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
50 f/1.7 is very much different to the FA43
In many respects, yes, but they are similar in the contrast/sharpness aspect. The 1.7 is a sharper lens corner to corner than the 1.4, and the 1.7 is crazy sharp stopped down (approaching 43 levels). Bokeh and colour are different, but they also have some similarities.

The bigger issue is actually comparing the 28mm lenses with the 43, since I'm *really* interested in replicating the FA ltd focal lengths on ASP-C. I know, from experience, that the 28mm f2.8 is * nothing* like the 43... but I do sometimes wonder about the 28mm f2...
05-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Yeah the 50 1.7 is very sharp when stopped down but the 43 is in a league of its own. I dont find any similarities shared between them in image rendition.

As for the 28 f/2.8, I got rid of that lens quick smart.
05-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As for the 28 f/2.8, I got rid of that lens quick smart.
Going to have to defend the 28... it's a very good (not great) lens. Easily worth what one pays for it. However the 28mm f2, might be a rare beast, but I have no idea how it would stack up. I would imagine it would be a very good lens!
05-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Yeah alot of people quite like it, I dont know if i had a bad copy or what but the images were quite soft wide open and very bland in general, I just couldnt get along with it. So it got sold.
05-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
very bland in genera
I thought this too... the lens *requires* a good hood. It flares terrible (veiling flare) which just kills all of your contrast and apparent sharpness. Unfortunately that means you will have trouble with direct sunlight. With a hood, though, I found it to be quite sharp wide open (although, I imagine the f2 version would be far sharper at f2.8... hence my interest).

PS I ended up selling mine too... I decided to get along with the kit for that particular range until I find something a little better in that range (something between the 28 2.8 and the 31).