Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #46
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,263
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the FA31 is equally as capable, if not better. not to mention that those shots might had been used on a FF dlsr which Pentax doesn't have.
I can't get those shots with 31ltd, but obviously is me, not the equipment.

05-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #47
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 409
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sorry, you might had misunderstood me with that statement. what I meant by that are the old existing Pentax AF 28mm lens are underwhelming performance-wise.
For some reason the FA28 is usually dismissed - I used to have one (sold it to fund another lens), and I liked it. Lost a bit of contrast wide open (but the detail was there), and one stop down very sharp across the frame. It had no vices that the tiniest dab of PP couldn't cope with. I wonder how many of its detractors have actually used one.

If I saw another one at a good price I would be tempted to reacquire it.
05-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #48
Veteran Member
acrollet's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 345
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Originally posted by Pentaxor*
sorry, you might had misunderstood me with that statement. what I meant by that are the old existing Pentax AF 28mm lens are underwhelming performance-wise. I didn't mean the 28mm as a focal length.
My experiences has proven completely contrary to this statement. My F 28mm has been an astounding lens that soon became a favorite of mine. Underwhelming? Not a chance.
Have to agree with Yeatzee here, I just got an F28, and it's already a favorite...

Last edited by acrollet; 05-27-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: double quoted
05-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
For some reason the FA28 is usually dismissed - I used to have one (sold it to fund another lens), and I liked it. Lost a bit of contrast wide open (but the detail was there), and one stop down very sharp across the frame. It had no vices that the tiniest dab of PP couldn't cope with. I wonder how many of its detractors have actually used one.

If I saw another one at a good price I would be tempted to reacquire it.
I'm not sure if you are going to consider me as a detractor. but personally I just don't feel the lens. it's a decent lens, but lacks the characteristic or rendering that I am looking for a 28mm, not just contrast. color is blah and the OOF isn't really any improvement from the slower 28mm. actually, I prefer the 28/3.5 more compared to the 2.8. too bad though Pentax doesn't have an AF for those slower lenses. otherwise an AF version of the 3.5 would had been more interesting for the same price the FA28 was selling for. the only other 28mm that I much highly prefer over the 28/3.5 would be the K28/2. now that lens gives that rendering that I was looking for. too bad it's MF as well. :ugh:

05-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #50
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by acrollet Quote
Have to agree with Yeatzee here, I just got an F28, and it's already a favorite...
no problem if it's your favorite and I'm happy for you nonetheless.
05-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #51
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
OOF isn't really any improvement from the slower 28mm
Have you used the F version? I hear the optical formula changed between the M, A, and then F versions... with their desirability increasing with each one. I'm only familiar with the A version, but the bokeh and colour really were not so bad... I'm very curious about the F 28mm

Wide open:
Name:  _PBA2411.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  77.0 KB
05-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #52
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Have you used the F version? I hear the optical formula changed between the M, A, and then F versions... with their desirability increasing with each one. I'm only familiar with the A version, but the bokeh and colour really were not so bad... I'm very curious about the F 28mm

Wide open:
Attachment 92811
I didn't say it's bad, but nothing special. actually the sample here is nothing to be really desired about, personally speaking (some nervous bokeh) and as I said, color is blah. F is slightly better but wouldn't be that significant enough to charge a higher premium. it still not as pleasing as a 28/2. got no problem to those who want a new AF 28/2.8 probably because they are looking for something cheap to use at that focal length and could do just about a decent job. I think there is more clamor for a fast 28 rather than a slower one like 28/2.8. just to be sure, maybe a simple poll might help. whether pricing would play a role, it should be disclosed by the potential buyer.
05-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #53
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Don't think I have a bad copy. In fact I have owned 2 FA*24/2 bought brand new, and they were identical in optical performance. They were also the few Pentax lenses that I have bought new are completely trouble free. Back then I was shooting colour negatives and slides only, and the Sigma produced significantly better sharpness and micro contrast. If not for the really poor built quality, I might still have it. The rubber and contact pin were worn down like butter. Just amazing how far Sigma was trying to cut cost.
Well, I don't have experience with these lenses on film but on K10D the FA* simply destroyed the Sigma in everything with possible exception of sharpness.

But I'll agree on the build of Sigma, flimsy at best...

05-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Deimos's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingdom of Wonder
Posts: 1,708
F28

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I didn't say it's bad, but nothing special. actually the sample here is nothing to be really desired about, personally speaking (some nervous bokeh) and as I said, color is blah. F is slightly better but wouldn't be that significant enough to charge a higher premium. it still not as pleasing as a 28/2. got no problem to those who want a new AF 28/2.8 probably because they are looking for something cheap to use at that focal length and could do just about a decent job. I think there is more clamor for a fast 28 rather than a slower one like 28/2.8. just to be sure, maybe a simple poll might help. whether pricing would play a role, it should be disclosed by the potential buyer.

I would prefer faster than 2.8 if Pentax made a new version. A new 28 2.8 would be nice, but for low light and bokehs sake I say make it faster

I love the colours and rendering my F28 produces. The bokeh can be a bit nervous sometimes but I like it generally, sharp and good contrast wide open. I do find it different to my M28 2.8 VII (like the A) but similar.








Last edited by Deimos; 05-28-2011 at 07:12 AM.
05-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #55
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
The M/A 28/2 is a nice compact design with really great image quality from what I can tell. That would be my starting point if I were to put out a new 28 from an existing design. Again, I say, forget making this a cheap one - people interested in the cheap would probably be better served by the 35/2.4 and then have little interest in a 28. Don't make it ridiculously expensive either, of course, but don't saddle it with a plastic mount, don't leave off quick shift, etc.
05-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #56
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The M/A 28/2 is a nice compact design with really great image quality from what I can tell. That would be my starting point if I were to put out a new 28 from an existing design. Again, I say, forget making this a cheap one - people interested in the cheap would probably be better served by the 35/2.4 and then have little interest in a 28. Don't make it ridiculously expensive either, of course, but don't saddle it with a plastic mount, don't leave off quick shift, etc.
I think you're right Mark. considering the existence, pricing and performance of the 35/2.4, it would be pointless to have and build a 28mm with a 2.8 slower aperture.

basically one of the main reasons I'm keeping the FA35 is the absence of a better AF 28mm. I would probably invest on one for $700 at most, providing it has all the essential perks that one would ask for a premium 28mm. I could without quick-shift and the absence of an aperture ring. if those would bring the premium down to $500-$600 (although I think that the absence of quickshift would hardly matter on price differential, maybe the aperture ring would), that is also fine by me. I don't like a plastic mount either. a LTD build or WR feature would certainly be a big + factor. maybe a DC motor would be a great option as well.
05-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #57
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I would probably invest on one for $700 at most
See I'm thinking a 400-500 dollar lens. That way it's reasonably distant from the FA 31.

I'm thinking, a DA-only, f2.8, sharp wide open, non-pancake limited. It would focus much faster than the macro, be optimized for smooth, wonderful bokeh, and be flare resistant. It would have the DA limited colour. It would be a step up from the DA 35, a step down from the macro, different enough from the DA 40, and 2 steps down from the 31.
05-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #58
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
And this is why Pentax has three 35's and still nobody is happy :-)

My DA28 would be f/2, a limited in build - metal, with integrated hood, quick shift, but no aperture ring - and I guess it would need to retail at around $500 or perhaps a bit more. If they could still use the M28/2 design but for whatever reason it came out cheaper to make it f/2.4, that would be acceptable. If it were only f/2.8 to cut costs, I'd probably go further and make it plastic and maybe skip the integrated hood to cut costs further. But then, it's unlikely I personally would be interested any more.
05-28-2011, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not sure if you are going to consider me as a detractor. but personally I just don't feel the lens. it's a decent lens, but lacks the characteristic or rendering that I am looking for a 28mm, not just contrast. color is blah and the OOF isn't really any improvement from the slower 28mm. actually, I prefer the 28/3.5 more compared to the 2.8. too bad though Pentax doesn't have an AF for those slower lenses. otherwise an AF version of the 3.5 would had been more interesting for the same price the FA28 was selling for. the only other 28mm that I much highly prefer over the 28/3.5 would be the K28/2. now that lens gives that rendering that I was looking for. too bad it's MF as well. :ugh:
funny enough I hate my M 28mm F/3.5 and vastly prefer the F 28mm

As for Bokeh and color:




No complaints here for a 28mm F/2.8
05-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #60
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
The F 28 is optically different than the FA 28. I find it ironic we have debates on the fa/f 50 1.4 and the same for the fa/f 50 1.7 but the two auto focus 28 get lumped together. I think 8 out of 10 people like the F 28 better than the Fa. There are some good copies of the fa out there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, k-mount, love, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
INDUSTAR 69 28mm F2.8 - Is this lens "Pentax-able" minahasa Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 02-08-2011 04:06 PM
moderator - pls make a thread about "new K-x has something loose/noise/etc." sticky? yuwlyuwl Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 03-09-2010 04:44 AM
Wanted - Acquired: Cheap "donor" KA-mount 28mm f/2.8 lens - any make panoguy Sold Items 2 03-04-2010 08:02 PM
For Sale - Sold: [SOLD]SMC PENTAX "K" 1:3.5/28mm (Hard to Find) Curbster54 Sold Items 7 02-26-2010 03:53 PM
K-x - "make it or break it" for Pentax gubak Pentax DSLR Discussion 75 09-22-2009 10:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top