Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #136
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I've always wondered what's stopping Pentax from reissuing old designs that are known to be good in some of their newer housings, though: for primes, why not just put some of em in DA (WR?) *housings* and have a line of accessible primes that are known quantities? They'd have a whole market right there, maybe not a huge one, but they'd have a lock on it and it'd go with the rest of the marketshare. Also free up some resources for the things people want to see like long teles and the rest.

. . .

But it does leave room for something a lot smaller: that'd mean I might welcome one of the old F or FA 28's for the time being, if I get a crack at one.
I agree with this logic. They could make up some batches of these lenses and be able to move them. That is the advantage of a small company relative to one that has to turn out millions of widgets per day to feed the beast. It wouldn't take much to revise some of the better performers.

05-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no arguing with Blue. He knows so much I wonder if he works for them .
05-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #138
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
There's no arguing with Blue. He knows so much I wonder if he works for them .
I wish. I would love to get loose in the prototype room.
05-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Blue, do you know much about the Vivitar close focus 28mm f2.8? I hear this is quite an exceptional lens.

05-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #140
Forum Member

Yes, this is very true. If they could make it f2, then it would essentially be the DA equivalent. That said, we are now essentially talking about the FA 31. So if you can't afford the 31, I'm assuming this hypothetical 28 would be very similar in price. The alternative would be a DA limited with a reduced image circle that only covers the crop sensor. That would be (presumably) less expensive. If they could some how make it *FA 43 like* (i.e., sharp, maybe not *AS* sharp, with better bokeh than the 28 f2.8) it would be a top priority for me to buy.
Yeah, that is a good point If I want it *that* bad, I should probably just suck it up and start saving! Although, if they could lower the cost a teensy bit by having a crop sensor image circle and f2 instead of f1.9, I would appreciate having the extra width from a 28mm instead of the 31mm.
05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltllama Quote
Yeah, that is a good point If I want it *that* bad, I should probably just suck it up and start saving! Although, if they could lower the cost a teensy bit by having a crop sensor image circle and f2 instead of f1.9, I would appreciate having the extra width from a 28mm instead of the 31mm.
I would imagine that it should be significantly less expensive. That is the philosophy behind cheap DA zooms, and 28mm is not an extreme focal length. I would imagine they would be able to get the price of it within range of the DA 21, as long as they were OK with making the lens larger (in line with the DA 35 / DA 15).
05-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #142
Site Supporter

Blue, do you know much about the Vivitar close focus 28mm f2.8? I hear this is quite an exceptional lens.
I only know about it in reputation. I haven't had the privilege of trying one. There is a long running thread on these. You may have seen it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivitar-...placement.html

05-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
c'mon Yeatzee. how bout price excuse. how much you got your F135, again ?
Price excuse? I dont follow.......

$350 for the F 135mm.... and worth every single penny. As far as I can tell, not a bad price by any means.... so whats with the question?
06-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #144
axl
Veteran Member

Guys, you seem to have way too much time on your hands, arguing about lenses of the past and future may bes...

Very early on in this thread I said I'd love to see 26/2 DA* instead of 28. Even in minds of Pentax high shots who pu out 5 lenses (primes) between 31 and 40 (I.e slight overkill IMO and spoil for choice) it can't seem right to put out 28mm. Why?!? There are 3 answers IMO:
1- yes, it would be true normal for APSC but how many folks want it? New DA L35 seems to be good for those who were calling for budget lens. 28/2.8 would be way too slow for normal lens and making it faster means making it bigger. 28/2 wouldn't be exactly small lens.

2- making it small means making it slow. We already have slow cheap normal lens, what purpose would slow, cheap true normal lens serve?

3- Pentax is replacing the old FOVs right? 28 would replace 43 but to make it worthwile it would need to be fast and good. That wouldn't be cheap and would be dangerously close to 31ltd IMO in all aspects. And since that lens is considered crown jewel in Pentax's line up, I don't think they'd want to have anything else that's so close to it. At the end of the day, the high end glass is where the revenue comes from and you don't want to cut your sales on it...

And one more thing, the gap lies elsewhere. 21-31 to be precise and no fast prime below 31, only one zoom at f2.8 in that range!!!. And I believe many more folks would opt for 24-26f2 as opposed 28/2.8...

All in all I don't see 28mm happening in DA line up, not until 31 is discontinued or until other, more important (IMO) gaps are filled. It just doesn't make sense at the moment. But then hey, there were few decisions before that didn't make sense
06-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #145
Pentaxian

A 28 f1.7 that is sharp wide open would stick to my camera like poo on carpet.
06-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #146
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
A 28 f1.7 that is sharp wide open would stick to my camera like poo on carpet.

but would be rather huge, have you seen the Sigma 28/1.8?!?
Granted it would be APSC only it could be smaller but not by huge margin IMO
06-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Price excuse? I dont follow.......

$350 for the F 135mm....
you don't see something sold like that on a normal day. if price was an issue, people would always look for a good deal.
06-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote

but would be rather huge, have you seen the Sigma 28/1.8?!?
Granted it would be APSC only it could be smaller but not by huge margin IMO
the current Sigmas had always been huge (fatter) Peter. I think it has more to do on their optical design and priorities (minimal vignetting, performance on FF or APS-C (in some lenses, light transmission, and build). like the Sigma 30, eventhough it's short, the diameter of the body, aside from the front filter is considerably large.

a 26mm would be ok I guess but depending on a few factors. 1.> the lens would had to have great IQ for cropping since I always have second thoughts of using wider lenses when shooting persons with those lenses. 2.> perspective distortion with respect to shooting distance. it would be great if Pentax would design it to lessen distortion in general and also wouldn't handicap the shooter that much on certain angle and distance which makes the lens more flexible to use. if Pentax cannot build some lenses at these focal lengths, I guess we'll just all get an X100.
06-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #149
Forum Member

Figure I'll ask here... Why are wide angle primes always on the slower end? I'd love to have a <20mm with f2.0 or less. I love the 15mm limited but f4 isn't any good for my low light needs. Love my 21mm but it's not suited for that either...
06-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #150
Veteran Member

What scenes do you shoot with the DA15 where 1/10" isn't fast enough? I find the DA15 actually easier to use in low light than any of my other lenses, simply because you don't *need* nearly so fast a shutter speed to combat either camera shake or subject motion blur. Also, it's way less demanding in terms of nailing focus. I have a higher percentage of "keepers" in my concert photography, for example, from that lens than any other, by far - not even close.