Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Flexibility is far more convenient than inflexibility.
You're right -- all the room I save in my camera bag by carrying a 15 gives me lots of flexibility to carry others lenses without the inconvenience of lugging around a backpack. ;-)

05-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Flexibility is far more convenient than inflexibility.
Convenience of being able to take a wide angle lens along without it taking up half of your bag.

I think the DA 15 is the best wide angle for people don't primarily shoot wide angles.
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I use both the 15LTD and the 12-24.
If I need the extra wide of the zoom, I use the zoom, but I prefer the 15 enough to forgive it the few sins that it has.
The 12-24 is one of the zooms that Pentax got right in terms of optical quality, I just wish it wasn't such a horse.
I don't find fault with the review, I'm sure what they are saying about the 15 is true, I just don't care.
05-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

12-24 is great when you can't zoom with your feet, but you need to go from...

12mm

to 24mm

Or when you absolutely have to have a very sharp 12mm available...

... but for everything else, the 15 just gets the call more often, for me. Both are great lenses.

05-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont really care much for dpreview, thats why I am here most of the time. DPreview can take its review ans stick it where it hurts. The DA15 has been a great addition to my collection.

The DA15 is out of stock more often than it is in stock. That should tell you something about the popularity of this lens.

Photozone, OTOH, gives it quite a nice review, nice rating for an ultrawide and in pancake format to boot.
05-28-2011, 04:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's well known that the 12-24 is one super sharp zoom and nobody can be faulted for buying one. It's also very large and my main reason for buying the DA 15 is the small size. I'm using it mostly for landscape shots and car/motorcycle shows and almost never shoot wide open. When you compare all the wides available and throw in the Sigma 10-20 and DA 14 in the mix also, they are all good performers. It's not an easy choice. I know all lens tests compare shots wide open but in practice, I'm stopped down to f/8 or more on almost all my wide angle shots regardless of which lens I'm using.