Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what I do, is follow the manual, i/e/ put the adaptor on the lens first, but I leave it loose.

then on the camera I tighten the lens down.

Never had a problem. Note you should inspect your lens and see why you had the adaptor stick. Some adaptors have the screw on th elittle clip stick out into the threads, and others have maching swarth in the threads or metal flashing on the machined points that lock the lens.

inspect your adaptor thoroughly, and make sure you can screw it on and off the lens first, then put it into the camera

05-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The problem was it would not turn enough!
Assuming there's no other mechanical issues as Lowell described, it's "harmless" to remove a little material from the lens side of the adapter if necessary. Place 180-220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and have at it. The surface doesn't even have to be perfectly square and flat. I've intentionally done that before to allow the flexibility of using the "rubber gasket" trick.

I intentionally shorten most adapters so I can adjust the lenses to place the aperture index at the 2-o'clock position so that %&$# flash bump doesn't hide the aperture info.

Or, if one's available, face off a few thousandths inch at a time on a lathe until you get it right. You can also remove the flange from the "top hat" style adapters this way so they allow infinity focus.

I keep an old PK body (that's beyond resurrection) in the shop for dimensioning and hand fitting such projects without having to constantly worry about contamination. Re-cycling!

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 05-27-2011 at 11:49 AM.
05-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, when I put this Asahi Pentax--Made in Japan--authentic M42 to K Mount Adapter on my K-X.. and I try to unscrew the lens, it just twists the adapter out of the body. When I put the Lens and adapter in my Asahi KM body it locks in tight and unscrews no problems.. the Adapter only comes out after I unscrew the lens and pinch the spring on the adapter and twist it out. So something is evidently wrong with my BRAND NEW K-X body, SIGH!
05-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now it's locking in the K-X I guess but has some play in it which is annoying. Do all M42 to K adapters have some play in them?

05-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Now it's locking in the K-X I guess but has some play in it which is annoying. Do all M42 to K adapters have some play in them?
I'm not sure if you really got the authentic one or a knock-off version. even knock-off versions have ASAHI Pentax and made in japan printed over them. usually knock-offs are off with the precise measurements and are thick at some points of the surface that would get it stuck so bad on your camera. aside from that is the spring is a nuisance as well.
05-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess I made mistake of screwing on the M42 adapter to the lens first. Then I tried to put it on the body and it won't lock into the camera. Now I am trying to take the adapter off and I can't seem to unscrew it--sooo tight.

Facing the rear of the lens, which way do I unscrew the adapter? clockwise or counter-clockwise? Don't know how I am gonna get this off.. might have to use channel locks--with some fabric inbetween.
Exactly what happened to me the first (and last) time I used an M42 adapter. I finally forced it and it broke. Luckily it didn't damage my (then new) K10D. After that, I figured I'd just stick to K-mount lenses. To me, the screwmounts weren't worth it.

I figure there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of K-mount lenses out there, and I only need a few of them. No point fooling with adapters when I don't have to.

Of course, I bought a cheap adapter. I think if you stick to the official Pentax adapter, you're less likely to have problems.

BTW, where in Texas? If you're in the Houston area, I'm going to organize a Pentax outing for late June.
05-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Exactly what happened to me the first (and last) time I used an M42 adapter. I finally forced it and it broke. Luckily it didn't damage my (then new) K10D. After that, I figured I'd just stick to K-mount lenses. To me, the screwmounts weren't worth it.

I figure there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of K-mount lenses out there, and I only need a few of them. No point fooling with adapters when I don't have to.

Of course, I bought a cheap adapter. I think if you stick to the official Pentax adapter, you're less likely to have problems.
What a bummer. One of the big reasons I went Pentax was the large selection of M42 glass that fits it. E.g. Helios 44 M42 & M39.

What kind of experiences are you all having with the M42 adapter? Is it to be expected to have a little play in the adapter when mounted on the body?

I have an original Asahi Pentax Adapter--I even have the original Asahi box it came in.

Perhaps I should send my brand new K-X body and my adapter to Eric to have him look it over?

Sigh
05-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

What kind of experiences are you all having with the M42 adapter? Is it to be expected to have a little play in the adapter when mounted on the body?
My adapter(s) fit fine, perfectly fine - never had an issue with them on any of my film cameras or digital bodies...

----

05-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #24

My PK-Screw adapter experiences.

Genuine Pentax adapters are ASAHI PENTAX or PENTAX, and JAPAN. Always 3D stamped never printed. Letters are filled with black or white paint. Newer adapters are painted flat black on film side. Older came in a box, newer in vinyl sleeve. All 30120.

M42 Lenses with a diameter smaller than the adapter will have play because they do not tighten against the lens seat.

Off brand adapters vary widely in quality, tolerances and rotational position.

Cheap adapters sometimes have the spring screw too long. Result damage to the lens threads and locking lens to camera.

Adapters with an inside ring to depress the aperture pin will damage the diaphragm coupling lever of S-M-C Takumar lenses.

Some 3rd party adapters will allow the camera type sensor pin of S-M-C Takumar lenses to lock into one of the rectangular cutouts in the adapter. Locking the lens to the camera if you didn't remove the spring latch.

Do not use your $188 new old stock Tamron-F AF Tele-Converter 1.4x Pz-AF to tighten an adapter to lens. It will break the rotational stop. Use a $2 lens cap. Epoxy stop is functional but looks like sh** poo.

Genuine Adapter Prices
Pentax Web Store $30.95 plus 6.95 shipping. out of stock
B&H 24.95 plus ? shipping. Has never been in stock since listed in 2010.
Ebay inexpensive to frighteningly expensive. With good patience good deals can be found. I bought all 6 of mine on ebay in the last year. Average price including shipping $18.16.

Last edited by bratt; 05-29-2011 at 10:53 PM.