Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #31
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
SDM played a critical part in all those decisions to not to go with Pentax.
Then go with the DA or FA ltds... you won't be sorry with those, ever.

05-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Sigh... OK, so I'm going to go to the hardware store, purchase $40,000 on top-of-the-line power tools, and call myself a master carpenter. After all, I have all the toys so I must be good, right?

As to the OP - had the Pentax rep told me this, I would have very politely told him that the next time his work computer goes bad, he should just go home and sit there unpaid while a replacement computer is prepped for him.

This brings to light the importance of backup equipment or readily available rental equipment. You can't just rely on one of anything when doing any kind of work.
the Pentax rep's reply has got to be a candidate for the biggest moronic customer service rep response and advise of the year. glad it wasn't me, otherwise that person could had gotten an earful from me.

postpone a wedding? is he serious? boy, it's more like saying postpone christmas eve on jan 24th. if not worse saying, stop working til you get your lens back. I'm not sure if the conversations are reported or if Pentax gives a damn about a rep's response, but if they do, I would file a complaint on that imbecile for giving such a ridiculous and downright useless advice.
05-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Then go with the DA or FA ltds... you won't be sorry with those, ever.
Except if you actually read what I wrote, fast, silent focusing is important to me.
I must admit, I did write a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if you sort of just glanced over the post; I might've done so in the same situation
05-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #34
Pentaxian

The always felt that my copy of the 10-20/4-5.6 wasn't the sharpest, especially compared to samples from other copies of the lens that I had seen, and while the lens was serviced, it was said to be "within spec," so I lived with that for a while.
I see. Sadly, I think the "within spec." card is often played without justification, or with a very liberal interpretation of "within spec.".

I... can honestly say SDM played a critical part in all those decisions to not to go with Pentax.
And Pentax still claims that there isn't an SDM problem. Even if it were true from a pure failure statistics viewpoint (which I no longer believe) the damage regarding reputation and hence lost sales must be huge.

I couldn't recommend any of the SDM zooms to anyone without pointing out the many "SDM failure" reports, combined with a measly one year warranty.

It is a pity, because at least the 50-135 is a fantastic lens optically. The 16-50 might have something going for it although I have to say that in a user comparison (with many nice test shots) both a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and a Sigma 18-50/2.8 held its own very well and often came out in front in terms of sharpness, vignetting, etc. Maybe the 16-50 has a rendering advantage but it wasn't apparent from the user comparison (on the contrary). Sadly the user comparison is no longer available. It was a post to another forum that disappeared a while ago.

05-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #35
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You do write a lot pop4, but that's no excuse for me.
Some compromises might be worth sacrificing the features you find important, or it may be more worth your while switching systems. (I don't see Pentax catering for your particular needs in the immediate future...)
05-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

You do write a lot pop4, but that's no excuse for me.
Some compromises might be worth sacrificing the features you find important, or it may be more worth your while switching systems. (I don't see Pentax catering for your particular needs in the immediate future...)
I've come so close to switching to Nikon so many times already, but the hassle of switching (getting new gear and getting rid of all my Pentax gear, currently at 3 bodies, 11 lenses, 2 flashes) and the cost of switching has held me back. For me personally, the minimum I'd be looking at would be two bodies (no less than a D700 or old D3 series), four fast lenses (normal zoom, tele zoom, macro prime, portrait prime) and 2 SB speedlights, and well, you do the maths. And photography is providing nowhere near the amount of income needed to do the switch.

But who knows how long I'll be able to resist?
05-30-2011, 04:39 AM   #37
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

But who knows how long I'll be able to resist?
If you know what you want, you'd be saving your pennies for it - but yes, the math is no laughing matter.

I wonder what a Nikkor lens similar to Pentax's 250-600 will set you back?
05-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
And Pentax still claims that there isn't an SDM problem. Even if it were true from a pure failure statistics viewpoint (which I no longer believe) the damage regarding reputation and hence lost sales must be huge.
See this thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/145340-...d-locally.html

The reason for SDM failures may have been identified.

05-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

If you know what you want, you'd be saving your pennies for it - but yes, the math is no laughing matter.
I'm thinking if it comes to that point, the switch will be more of a business decision than anything...

I wonder what a Nikkor lens similar to Pentax's 250-600 will set you back?
I have no idea, but I reckon there's be a better chance of actually being able to get one than a Pentax 250-600; the Pentax 250-600 lenses seem to be rarer than a hen's teeth.

Aaaanyway, this thread seems to have taken a little detour. Back on topic, I wonder what the OP has decided to do?
05-30-2011, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqjaw Quote
about the following statement: The lens is approximately 2 months old, and therefore B&H won't take it back so I can get a replacement. Have you contacted B&H to see what they do or say ,or did just take it for granted they would not help you out: it should simple for to replace the lens and ship yours to Pentax and have it come back as refurbished lens: May be talking thru my hat : it does hurt to ask: if all else fails rent one :

I contacted both B&H and Pentax to see what could be done. Neither was able to budge on their policies, however B&H was polite and considerate. They understood that I was in a jam, and said if it was a few days over the 30 day limit, they would be ok. Since it was nearly 70 days since the day of purchase, they couldn't make an exception. I understood their point as well, if they do this for me, why not everyone.

I'd just like to think that my interaction with this one Pentax rep does not represent the entire company.

As to the comment by pcarfan if anyone has asked for the type of gear I was using.... I generally like to let my pictures do the talking. If they like the images I produce, that's it. I have a portfolio and a website, and I don't list equipment on either. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the customer cares about are the images they receive. If you put prints coming out of a Pentax, Canon, Nikon and Sony next to eachother, I think you'd be hard pressed to identify the brands. Obviously there will be differences here and there, however, a good picture is a good picture.
05-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neurocyclist Quote
a good picture is a good picture.
This is so true...