Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Need to vent

My DA* 16 - 50 SDM motor died a few days ago. This timing SUCKS because I have shooting engagements for the first 3 weekends in June, and I need this lens as it's my only fast wide angle!! (1 engagement session and 2 weddings).

The lens is approximately 2 months old, and therefore B&H won't take it back so I can get a replacement.

I called Pentax and they will obviously said they could fix it with the warranty, but it would take 15 - 20 business days... pretty much all of JUNE, the height of wedding season. When I asked the Pentax guy if they had any rush service, or if I had any other options other than spending money on a new lens or a rental, the customer service rep said

"Well you don't have to spend any money, you could just cancel the shooting engagements. We'll fix the lens for you and get it back to you when we're done"

ARE YOU KIDDING! A simple, I'm sorry, we don't have any other options would have sufficed. I am resigned to the fact that I have to rent a lens for all of June because my 2 month old SDM lens failed. I'm already pissed about that, and now the PENTAX rep tells me to cancel my shots???

WOW, I was not expecting much from corporate culture, however, I was expecting at least a little sympathy from a photography company. Even if that sympathy did not result in any action.

Disgusted

05-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rent a lens while yours is being fixed.

Yes, I agree... It's not neat to have a lens fail right when you really need it. Well, or anytime for that fact.
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You might find this thread interesting:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/145340-...d-locally.html

Also, if I were you, I would contact Ned Bunnell at Pentax USA.

Last edited by MPrince; 05-27-2011 at 02:40 PM.
05-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't toy with junk, get the EF-S 17-55/2.8 if it's a money tool, I am serious.

05-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. The Pentax rep should have been more customer service oriented.

That being said, I have had my 16mm-50mm lens since early 2009, and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it. And I think it takes amazing shots. I like it better than the 50mm - 135mm lens, which I also have. Though it seems most people prrefer the later.

Hopefully, Pentax will get it back to you in a timely manner, and you wont have any other isssues, because its one of my fav lenses.

Debbie
05-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neurocyclist Quote
"Well you don't have to spend any money, you could just cancel the shooting engagements. We'll fix the lens for you and get it back to you when we're done"
=0

Are you serious? That is some absolutely terrible attitude coming over the phone from them, wow. Maybe they have no way to rush service (which doesn't surprise me, it being Pentax), but they should have just said so politely instead of spouting out that. It's an impractical enough suggestion that you know it was meant to sting, too. Geez!
05-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Catch in focus can be a wonderful thing when AF craps out. Who ever said you had to have Auto Focus to shoot a wedding or engagement was seriously F'd in the head. Do your shoots and then send the lens in.

05-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Don't toy with junk, get the EF-S 17-55/2.8 if it's a money tool, I am serious.
Is this more [of your] Canon propaganda? I wouldn't call Pentax "junk." It doesn't matter if a $700+ len's AF fails, I bet if you tried to sell it in that condition you'd get at least a few hundred $$ for it.

Like Jeff says, you can always shoot MF anyway.
05-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Is this more [of your] Canon propaganda? I wouldn't call Pentax "junk." It doesn't matter if a $700+ len's AF fails, I bet if you tried to sell it in that condition you'd get at least a few hundred $$ for it.
Perhaps I am a little strong on my words but one should pick the best tools for the job. The DA* is not cheap to start with but fail to deliver. As a hobby toy, it is barely bearable. I recommend Limited primes highly, but zooms? Pentax is just weak.
05-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I happen to really like the iq coming out of the 16-50. I agree that that quality control has not been pentax's strong suit, however,when they work pentax products produce some amazing images... The operative word being when.

Was reminded why I love pentax when I shot with a friend's D3s. That thing takes GREAT pictures, but I could not imagine holding that beast up the entire night of a wedding.

I know that's an extreme case, and there are easier FF bodies to handle (5dII), but the ergonomics on my K-5 are unsurpassed. A big deal when holding a camera for 8 hours. However, I have to seriously consider switching systems if the qc issue persists.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
05-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Perhaps I am a little strong on my words but one should pick the best tools for the job. The DA* is not cheap to start with but fail to deliver. As a hobby toy, it is barely bearable. I recommend Limited primes highly, but zooms? Pentax is just weak.
Well, yes. I can agree. Limited primes are the way to go... The only reason to go with Pentax zooms IMHO is for the WR. Otherwise, I think there are better alternatives (I'm not talking Canon, just alternatives for Pentax).
05-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neurocyclist Quote
I happen to really like the iq coming out of the 16-50. I agree that that quality control has not been pentax's strong suit, however,when they work pentax products produce some amazing images... The operative word being when.

Was reminded why I love pentax when I shot with a friend's D3s. That thing takes GREAT pictures, but I could not imagine holding that beast up the entire night of a wedding.

I know that's an extreme case, and there are easier FF bodies to handle (5dII), but the ergonomics on my K-5 are unsurpassed. A big deal when holding a camera for 8 hours. However, I have to seriously consider switching systems if the qc issue persists.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Yes, don't give up the pentax system. The K-5 is simply unriveled--simply a beauty in such a small package that packs such amazing power. Anyway, you might want to try out an alternative, like the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. I've heard that it beats the DA* 16-50 in IQ (haven't actually tried one so I can't vouch for that statement).
05-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

But I think the question remains, "Why would you buy the Sigma when the Canon can AF so much faster with better IS?" As money making tools, the cost will be recovered in no time for a 1k lens. It won't mount on the K5 of course.
05-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It won't mount on the K5 of course.
That's the problem. However, the Canon 17-55mm isn't without it's own set of problems.
05-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
That's the problem. However, the Canon 17-55mm isn't without it's own set of problems.
AF too fast? Seriously, I wish it was built better as the front section moves slightly starting from the zoom ring. I cannot imagine how much more expensive it would be though as it costs 1.1 k already, and "w/o hood".