Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
UV+CPL or CPL+UV stacking and flare?

So, I've seen similar questions asked before, but my question is a little different.

On my 50-200, I have a Hoya HMC UV filter, so if I want to add a CPL filter, I don't think I'll have a problem with vignetting or seeing the edge of the filters.

But for the sake of not introducing flare, should I take the UV off, put the CPL on top of the UV, or put it underneath the UV?

05-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
why would you use any UV filter? modern lenses are coated against UV rays. for the sake of reducing flare you shouldn't use any UV filter.
05-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #3

I (and many others) see a UV filter as more of a lens glass protector than anything else. So when I want to use a CPL, just take the UV filter off and use the CPL filter alone.
05-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Use a coated CPL

05-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 50-200 and never use filter. I have no problem.
05-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay thanks for the thoughts. I already have a (presumably not coated) CPL that I'll be using - I guess I'll take the UV off when I use the CPL.

The reason for the CPL is where I'm going (French and Italian cities, in my experience, there's often more light than you know what to do with, brightly cobbled streets, marble buildings, and bright colors everywhere. For me , the sky gets washed out a lot, so I want it for the ND factor and the hue boost you get from polarization . . . also when I'm using the long end of the lens, I want to be able to cut the haze. Finally, we're doing the Chamonix cablecar across the glacier, and between clouds, haze, and direct daylight I'm concerned about flare. I'll probably be fine stacking them everywhere except in Chamonix, where the flare might be an issue.

And yes, the UV is for protection mainly from fingerprints and dust - I feel more comfortable cleaning a filter than a lens.

I just thought there might be a difference of putting the clear glass out in front, or behind the CPL. I guess not?
05-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Okay thanks for the thoughts. I already have a (presumably not coated) CPL that I'll be using - I guess I'll take the UV off when I use the CPL.

The reason for the CPL is where I'm going (French and Italian cities, in my experience, there's often more light than you know what to do with, brightly cobbled streets, marble buildings, and bright colors everywhere. For me , the sky gets washed out a lot, so I want it for the ND factor and the hue boost you get from polarization . . . also when I'm using the long end of the lens, I want to be able to cut the haze. Finally, we're doing the Chamonix cablecar across the glacier, and between clouds, haze, and direct daylight I'm concerned about flare. I'll probably be fine stacking them everywhere except in Chamonix, where the flare might be an issue.

And yes, the UV is for protection mainly from fingerprints and dust - I feel more comfortable cleaning a filter than a lens.

I just thought there might be a difference of putting the clear glass out in front, or behind the CPL. I guess not?
Stacking filters was a normal thing in film days and you always put the Polarizer on top. The idea was the UV/Skylight was for everyday use and you would just add the polarizer when you needed it, so you never had to remove the other filter. 50mm or above FL was usually ok vignetting wise with the two filters and even a round hood. The exception was the K50/1.2.

For your ME you don’t need a CPL and can use a Linear polarizer. They are much cheaper for the same quality filter.

Phil.
05-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Stacking filters was a normal thing in film days and you always put the Polarizer on top. The idea was the UV/Skylight was for everyday use and you would just add the polarizer when you needed it, so you never had to remove the other filter. 50mm or above FL was usually ok vignetting wise with the two filters and even a round hood. The exception was the K50/1.2.

For your ME you donít need a CPL and can use a Linear polarizer. They are much cheaper for the same quality filter.

Phil.
That's what I'm thinking, and my hood (somewhat to the detriment of its own efficacy) is bayonet mount and so will not stick out beyond the filters, though I've never really had a need for a hood on that lens even in really bright settings.

I got a really good deal on the polarizer a while ago and it's going to do double duty on my K-x (digital) and my ME.