Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recondition the plastic on the lens barrel

So I have just fed my LBA, a lot of 4 lenses on eBay: Pentax 50mm 1.7, Vivitar 135mm 2.8 and 28mm 2.8 (the K04 version according to rparmar) and some random 28-80 macro zoom. The sellers page said the lenses were in good working conditon (we'll see). The purchase price was $62, so I really just need 2 of them to be decent to be worth it.

Cosmetically, the lens barrels look like they could use a cleaning, they have a generally faded appearance. Has anybody tried to re-condition with plastic? I was thinking something equivalent to armor-all might spruce them up a bit.

05-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi

I use Meguire's Quick detailer for cars. In most big store auto sections.
Spray it on a microfiber cloth,clean the lens and then with a dry cloth just buff it.
It has a wax in it and makes the lens and cameras look like new.
No danger to paint or plastics and no slippery silicone like the Armorall stuff.
05-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What, you don't want that war-correspondent look to your gear? Like pre-faded and -torn jeans (or genes), some people pay extra for that well-worn look.

More seriously: You might try wiping down the lens bodies with a solution of cleaning alcohol thinned with distilled water; no soap nor detergent, no varnish nor other coatings. I can't be *sure* that ArmorAll or similar products would damage the bodies. But I wouldn't really want to risk getting polymers or solvents into the optics or focusing mechanisms.
05-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What, you don't want that war-correspondent look ...
What am I thinking!?! the war corrospondent lens would go perfect with my shiny k-x.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll forgo the armorall and look into the Meguires.

05-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
some people pay extra for that well-worn look
you can find some well worn Leica cameras selling for substantially more than their retail price from time to time....typically M3's and M4's and I know people that wear down the finish on their M7's with sandpaper *shudders*
05-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi

I use Meguire's Quick detailer for cars. In most big store auto sections.
Spray it on a microfiber cloth,clean the lens and then with a dry cloth just buff it.
It has a wax in it and makes the lens and cameras look like new.
No danger to paint or plastics and no slippery silicone like the Armorall stuff.
Hi
Please consider this:
When rubbing plastic you generate static electricity which will attract dust! The very least you should do is to discharge (earth) the static with a discharge wrist strap while you are rubbing.

Also consider this:
Wat you put on the surface of the barrel(s) would/could develop a "gas" under an evaporation process when the black material absorbs heat on a hot day. Over time this gas could condense itself on the surface of the glass and leave a very fine haze (almost invisible) but bad enough to effect light quality of the lens. You than wonder why your pics have halos around bright lights.

In other words, don't do it. That's what I think.

Greetings
05-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Please consider this:
When rubbing plastic you generate static electricity which will attract dust! The very least you should do is to discharge (earth) the static with a discharge wrist strap while you are rubbing.

Also consider this:
Wat you put on the surface of the barrel(s) would/could develop a "gas" under an evaporation process when the black material absorbs heat on a hot day. Over time this gas could condense itself on the surface of the glass and leave a very fine haze (almost invisible) but bad enough to effect light quality of the lens. You than wonder why your pics have halos around bright lights.

In other words, don't do it. That's what I think.

Greetings
You are worrying about nothing. Static electricity is not a permanent charge, if you happen to rub the barrel of the lens while the lens is mounted on the camera and the camera powered on, there might be a possibility of static electricity damaging the electronics, but I highly doubt anyone with any commonsense would do that (it would be extremely awkward to try in any case).

The war correspondent look of the lens barrel's rubber/plastic was caused by exposure to the sun. If the 20+ years of ongoing deterioration of the lens' exterior has not caused the lens to be hazed by now, I doubt applying wax or silicone compounds to the lens' exterior would have any significant effect, if any at all.

I clean the exterior of the lens thoroughly when I buy a used lens with a lint-free cloth soaked in clean water, wrung out and wrung out again wrapped in dry towel. I would scrub the lens barrel, rubber/plastic, letters and numbers engraved distance scale, aperture ring and DOF scale. Depending on how much grime is lifted off the lens, I repeat the process with clean cloth 3 or 4 times. You will be surprised how much grime can accumulate on these old lenses, or how bright those engraved, paint filled letters and numbers can be.

Only after I do a thorough cleaning like this do I look into restoring the oxidized rubber/plastic part of the lens. I don't use wax based product because it's difficult to buff out the crevices of the textured surface and can leave some wax residue. I use "STP Son of a Gun", that I bought a long time ago for my vehicle. I have tested it on my 'sacrificial' Tamron lens to see if it will be harmful or not, and have restored several of my MF lens' focus rings from the oxidized look to a more of a gently used look. I don't think there is any danger of 'slipping' because the texture on the rubber/plastic is coarse enough to maintain a firm grip, but I try to apply the compound as sparingly as possible.

Thanks,
05-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
You are worrying about nothing. Static electricity is not a permanent charge, if you happen to rub the barrel of the lens while the lens is mounted on the camera and the camera powered on, there might be a possibility of static electricity damaging the electronics, but I highly doubt anyone with any commonsense would do that (it would be extremely awkward to try in any case).

The war correspondent look of the lens barrel's rubber/plastic was caused by exposure to the sun. If the 20+ years of ongoing deterioration of the lens' exterior has not caused the lens to be hazed by now, I doubt applying wax or silicone compounds to the lens' exterior would have any significant effect, if any at all.

I clean the exterior of the lens thoroughly when I buy a used lens with a lint-free cloth soaked in clean water, wrung out and wrung out again wrapped in dry towel. I would scrub the lens barrel, rubber/plastic, letters and numbers engraved distance scale, aperture ring and DOF scale. Depending on how much grime is lifted off the lens, I repeat the process with clean cloth 3 or 4 times. You will be surprised how much grime can accumulate on these old lenses, or how bright those engraved, paint filled letters and numbers can be.

Only after I do a thorough cleaning like this do I look into restoring the oxidized rubber/plastic part of the lens. I don't use wax based product because it's difficult to buff out the crevices of the textured surface and can leave some wax residue. I use "STP Son of a Gun", that I bought a long time ago for my vehicle. I have tested it on my 'sacrificial' Tamron lens to see if it will be harmful or not, and have restored several of my MF lens' focus rings from the oxidized look to a more of a gently used look. I don't think there is any danger of 'slipping' because the texture on the rubber/plastic is coarse enough to maintain a firm grip, but I try to apply the compound as sparingly as possible.

Thanks,
I hear what you are saying, and in general you make sense. However static does not have to be permanent to attract dust.

It is good to "consider" all possibilities and consider carefully what you will be using to polish up the barrels. And of course weigh up the pros and cons of your action depending on how old the lens is and how far it has gone down the road of deterioration.

Greetings