Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #91
Inactive Account

Es un gran lente. La luminosidad y colores que da, son muy satisfactorios.

07-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Genshu Quote
By 100% magnification do you mean like cropping a small piece of the photo and seeing what it looks like?
I just mean viewing the original photo at full-size, with no scaling, so that pixels are being displayed on the monitor at a 1:1 ratio. On a typical monitor, you would only be able to see a portion of the photo when displayed at 100% magnification. Most photo editing programs will list the percentage that the image is being scaled.

Cropping out a piece at 100% magnification is usually just done for posting on a web site, since the full-size photo may be too large to post practically.
07-08-2011, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #93

Photos: Albums
I recently bought em and love it!
Here's a couple of photos I shot with this wonderful lens. It was my first time bringing it out on an outdoor shoot.

07-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #94

...brought it out last week to a gig. It's performance was really really disappointing. The flares are unimaginable, to a point where I felt like throwing the lens immediately and use my Pentax SMC lens (which is by far leagues ahead of Tamron in terms of flares).

and my favourite photo from the gig has got to be this multiple exposure.

even in this photo, you can see those horrible flares on the right side. There are photos where the flares are on the person's eye and crotch area, which is, IMO, damn funny. Hhahaha

Last edited by mkvlln; 07-08-2011 at 06:51 AM.
07-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those outdoor photos look really great. Did you use any light modifiers?
07-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Those outdoor photos look really great. Did you use any light modifiers?
yup, used a Metz 50, most of them are off-shoe flash.
07-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you use some kind of radio trigger for the flash? And do you have any white balance problems with the temperature of the flash being different from the temperature of the daylight?

07-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #98

Do you use some kind of radio trigger for the flash? And do you have any white balance problems with the temperature of the flash being different from the temperature of the daylight?
nope, not that I know of.... And I didn't use radio trigger; I just used optical wireless slave. Either I stretch my left arm or I asked one of the two (they are my friends btw) to hold the flash. Hahaha. So they took turns holding the flash and getting their picture taken.
07-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the built-in flash from the camera is strong enough to trigger the speedlight, even outdoors in sunlight?

And what do you do if you don't want the straight-on flash from the camera effecting your lighting? Do you use a card or something to block it from hitting your subject?
07-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #100

So the built-in flash from the camera is strong enough to trigger the speedlight, even outdoors in sunlight?

And what do you do if you don't want the straight-on flash from the camera effecting your lighting? Do you use a card or something to block it from hitting your subject?
If I remember correctly, the purpose of the pop-up flash is to send a signal to the flashgun, so the strength of the pop-up flash doesn't come into the factor that contribute to the firing of the flashgun (like the IR remote control). However, you must have the flash gun in the line-of-sight of the pop-up flash for the latter to transmit the signal over. I think this is what they call optical flash triggering or something.

I wasn't able to turn off my camera's flash so I set the pop-up flash to the lowest output (-2 EV), so that it wouldn't "blow" my subjects. That way, the pop-up flash was more of a filler than the main flash.

Hope this helps.
07-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mkvlln Quote
I wasn't able to turn off my camera's flash so I set the pop-up flash to the lowest output (-2 EV), so that it wouldn't "blow" my subjects. That way, the pop-up flash was more of a filler than the main flash.

Hope this helps.
Yes, that does help. I almost never use my built-in flash, so I hadn't ever tried turning it down. I'm now playing with my Sigma EF-500 Super flashgun, but my 2-yoa subject is starting to lose patience. It's definitely something I'll be experimenting more with though.
07-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...brought it out last week to a gig. It's performance was really really disappointing. The flares are unimaginable, to a point where I felt like throwing the lens immediately and use my Pentax SMC lens (which is by far leagues ahead of Tamron in terms of flares).
I've never noticed any problems with glare, but then again, I've never shot in a dark place with bright lights shining directly into the lens like you were. Just out of curiosity, are you using a filter on the front of your lens? Because if you are, and you find yourself in a similar situation, you may want to try removing the filter and shooting with no additional glass in front of the element. I never use filters on any of my lenses.
07-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #103

I've never noticed any problems with glare, but then again, I've never shot in a dark place with bright lights shining directly into the lens like you were. Just out of curiosity, are you using a filter on the front of your lens? Because if you are, and you find yourself in a similar situation, you may want to try removing the filter and shooting with no additional glass in front of the element. I never use filters on any of my lenses.
oh yeah I was using a filter. Maybe that's the problem, cause I didn't use filters on my other lenses.
07-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh yeah I was using a filter. Maybe that's the problem, cause I didn't use filters on my other lenses.
I know that a lot of people use filters (often just as a safety precaution), but I just never felt comfortable with using a relatively inexpensive piece of glass in front of a lens that costs hundreds of dollars and was designed with a very specific optical formula.
07-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that a lot of people use filters (often just as a safety precaution), but I just never felt comfortable with using a relatively inexpensive piece of glass in front of a lens that costs hundreds of dollars and was designed with a very specific optical formula.
With a little bit of research and personal testing, it is certainly possible to put a quality filter in front of a lens and shoot with confidence.

There is a tremendous difference between a good filter and a bad filter. Just look at the #1 filter from the lenstip.com UV filters test results (not including the unranked supplement results), the Hoya HMC UV-0, versus the worst, the Tiffen UV. The negative impact of the Tiffen is drastic.