Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seagull 17mm Lens - Familiar?

Late-night web crawling resulted in finding this 17mm f4 lens by Seagull. I am not familiar with this lens' history or notoriety, so I'm hoping somebody can say something definitive about it. Has anyone here seen one in the wild? Used one?!

As best as I can tell from my searches, the Seagull is their own variation on an older Minolta Rokkor design. The Rokkor is well regarded from what I have read.

The main stumbling block always comes down to language. I have found references to this lens on Chinese manufacturer's sites, one or two mentions on Scandinavian retail sites, and even one on a Korean site. Even with machine translation the details are murky.

Among other mounts, it is available in everybody's favorite Pentax K, but acquiring one is another story.

Advice, anyone?

05-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

I don't have this lens. But I can read Chinese, so I searched the threads on the Chinese photography forums. From the pictures and user comments, this lens is not very stable, has CA problem too. Corners IQ is not good. cost $100.

This lens is really too old. I do hope the new made-in-China Mitakon lens has the wide angle option. The 85mm f/2 for less than $90 is not bad at all.
05-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, it's a shame the lens doesn't have a better reputation. I suppose if it were a star performer we would be hearing a lot more about it.

I have the itch to buy an ultra wide-angle lens like the DA 15mm, or one of 14mm lenses from Bower/Samyang/Vivitar/etc. - But the Pentax is pricey, and the Bower/Samyang animal is so honkin' huge!

Once upon a time I had a Vivitar 17mm but I wasn't exactly blown away by its performance. It seemed I could get decent images when focusing on a particular subject, but stopping down never increased the depth of field. Very odd. And I know it doesn't make sense, but as best as I could tell even stopping down to f/8 or f/11 did not allow me to hyper-focus near and far subjects.
05-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

The Vivitar you mentioned sounds like problem. Pricey the DA 15 is, but it's better to save for it. I don't care about the size, so I didn't get the DA 15.

05-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I use an A 16/2.8 fish eye for my super wide angle, de-fishing as needed. The K 17/4 or any of the Tak 17/4's would work too, they are all really compact with good IQ, especially stopped down a click or two. The Zenitar 16/2.8 is highly rated as well. The A is really a nice lens, but costs a bit more.