Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I avoid buying anything with SDM/HSM, without warranty these type of lens might be rather expensive to repair if they go wrong. The other thing is that with camera body update the AF speed might improve on the screw drive lenses, not sure on the SDM/HSM type...
FACT HSM, unlike SDM, is reliable and backed up with a real warranty. And HSM is blazingly fast. You're not going to find a long screw driven lens that can come close to HSM in either speed or accuracy, regardless of the body. HSM is the pinnacle of AF performance.

05-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
FACT HSM is blazingly fast. You're not going to find a long screw driven lens that can come close to HSM in either speed or accuracy, regardless of the body. HSM is the pinnacle of AF performance.
I continue to be amazed with how fast and silent the HSM focus motor is on my 50-150mm. When I have this lens mounted, I feel like the autofocus system of my K-x is the bottle-neck when it comes to focus speed.
05-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
HSM is the pinnacle of AF performance.
Having had a few opportunities to use Canon USM lenses, and owning quite a few HSM lenses myself, I'd say USM probably has an edge over SDM in terms of speed and silence (HSM still makes a tiny bit of noise). Unfortunately, for us K-mount users, we don't get USM.
05-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Having had a few opportunities to use Canon USM lenses, and owning quite a few HSM lenses myself, I'd say USM probably has an edge over SDM in terms of speed and silence (HSM still makes a tiny bit of noise). Unfortunately, for us K-mount users, we don't get USM.
SDM makes a noise ? Maybe it varies from lense to lense ? I've absolutely never noticed even a whisper from the DA*300.

05-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
SDM makes a noise ? Maybe it varies from lense to lense ? I've absolutely never noticed even a whisper from the DA*300.
I've Never used SDM myself, but all five HSM lenses that I have make a very quiet, but audible noise when focusing. But then again, I don't worry about HSM failing

The different manufacturers all have their own implementations of in-lens focusing motors, and they are not all made equal. They may even differ per manufacturer, e.g. one of my Sigma HSM lenses has a micro-motor HSM, while my others have a ring-type HSM.

SDM = Silent Drive Motor (Pentax)
HSM = Hyper-Sonic Motor (Sigma)
USM = Ultra Sonic Motor (Canon)
SWM = Silent Wave Motor (Nikon)
USD = Ultrasonic Silent Drive (Tamron)
05-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Pop4, whats the difference between HSM micro-motor and ring-type?

Also, you would think that Tamron would upgrade its lenses for Pentax with USD. Yeah that would make them more expensive but alot of people wouldnt mind paying extra for speedy AF.
05-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #37
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I was speaking in the context of Pentax, not Canikon etc.

I've never used USM but it must have more than an edge over SDM in terms of speed. I certainly wouldn’t be interested in a product that is only marginally faster than SDM.

05-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #38
JHD
Veteran Member

I could hear a high pitched wine from the DA*50-135. Maybe it was heading for the catacombs.
05-31-2011, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
A micro-motor is a miniature version of a conventional motor. It drives gears that make the lens elements move.

A ring type motor is a completely different principle. It is a very simple, robust design using large rings roughly the size of the lens elements. By construction, it has better torque and allows an easy implementation of full-time manual override.

Micro motors are used as a cost-saving option. Maybe they also help to reduce the size of the lens, but I'm not sure. I'd take a ring-type motor over a micro-motor any day.
05-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA* 300 is so quite it scares me sometimes! The DA 17-70/4 SDM I had was quiet also.
05-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
A micro-motor is a miniature version of a conventional motor. It drives gears that make the lens elements move.

A ring type motor is a completely different principle. It is a very simple, robust design using large rings roughly the size of the lens elements. By construction, it has better torque and allows an easy implementation of full-time manual override.

Micro motors are used as a cost-saving option. Maybe they also help to reduce the size of the lens, but I'm not sure. I'd take a ring-type motor over a micro-motor any day.
Thanks, +1 rep.
06-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Class A above outlined the technical differences; in practice, the lens I have with micro-motor HSM is the only HSM lens that I have where the focusing ring actually rotates while focusing. The other, ring-type HSM lenses that I have all do not have a focusing ring that rotates during focusing.