Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Anyone use the FA 31mm F1.8 AL SMC Limited Lens on the K-X?

I've seen great images produced from the 31mm limited lens but I haven't seen a lot of images taken with this lens on the K-X, I know it's expensive but wondered if anyone on here uses this on their K-X and could they provide some examples taken with this lens?

05-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens is just as good on the kx as with any other camera- but it doesn't really make sense for most to buy a lens that costs as much as 3 bodies
05-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #3

I use it on the Kx, but I have limited experience with it as I only got it last week :-)
05-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The lens is just as good on the kx as with any other camera- but it doesn't really make sense for most to buy a lens that costs as much as 3 bodies
It's currently too expensive for me to buy but It would cost even more for me if i were to upgrade to a more expensive body like the K-5 and then buy the lens. As long as I could get results from the 31mm limited on the K-X then I would be happy to save up for the lens.

What other lens would you consider that are cheaper options but produces similar results to the 31mm limited lens.

05-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #5

The quality of the lens is actually the only element in the chain that has direct influence of the photo quality. Use the FA 31mm with a K-x produce great photos. Use a low quality lens with a K-5 produce crap.
I think it is better to use your money on high quality lenses and a cheap body than the opposite if you have a limited budget.

The attached photo is taken with the FA 31mm and K-5. If I had used a K-x instead, I would get a 12 mPix photo rather than a 16 mPix photo. The quality of the photo would be the same.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SveinG Quote
The quality of the lens is actually the only element in the chain that has direct influence of the photo quality.
+1. Camera bodies come and go, and they mostly have no impact on image quality (heck, put the K5 next to an *istD at ISO 100 and they would not be so far apart). Better to invest in lenses, which last you a lifetime with proper care, and are responsible for 99% of the image quality. The K-X also happens to be a really good camera for the money, so you win twice.
05-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA 31 ltd is as good as any lens you can get in that focal length.
Its performance on the K-x is as you'd expect with any other body it's shot with.
Alternatives aren't going to give you the same fidelity as the 31, but lenses such as the FA 28, FA 35 or DA 35 are affordable options to consider. The FA 28 and 35 will be hard to find, but the DA 35 is available, cheaper and of very good optical quality.
05-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

Here is one pic from yesterday taken with my kx. It was fairly dark outside due to overcast.

Handheld @ ISO 3200, 31mm, F/2.8 1/50sec. No pp other than resize.

Last edited by pencilnink; 02-04-2015 at 08:24 PM.
05-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The FA35 vs FA31 shootout was done on a K-x. Has links to full resolution images.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/144298-fa35-vs-fa31-shootout.html
05-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

My wife uses my 31 on her K-x exclusively. I'll post some images when I'll get to my PC. I have to admit, IQwise it's formidable combo but it feelds tad lens heavy in terms of handling.
05-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know a friend using with his k-x and k200d - pretty good lens to give company to your k-x.
05-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SveinG Quote
The quality of the lens is actually the only element in the chain that has direct influence of the photo quality. Use the FA 31mm with a K-x produce great photos. Use a low quality lens with a K-5 produce crap.
So why do Pentax make the K5 and why are we buying it?
05-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peasant Quote
So why do Pentax make the K5 and why are we buying it?
The point of this thread is not to say the K-x and K-5 are equals, and thus there is no need to have the K-5 at all.

Lenses are the most important factor in getting good results. The camera body matters particularly in the factors *peripheral* to the image quality - focusing speed and accuracy, white balance fidelity, meter reliability, customisation and features at your fingertips. One of these factors alone are enough of a reason to have updated camera bodies, but between the K-x and K-5 are a myriad of features that make a difference to getting the shot in the first place.

The results themselves may be similar (caveats already given previously) but for the GENERAL USER the K-x is more than capable of giving excellent results when paired with a high quality lens.
05-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The point of this thread is not to say the K-x and K-5 are equals, and thus there is no need to have the K-5 at all.
I didn't bring it up.
Lenses are the most important factor in getting good results.
Rubbish.
The camera body matters particularly in the factors *peripheral* to the image quality - focusing speed and accuracy, white balance fidelity, meter reliability, customisation and features at your fingertips.
Yep, none of these make any difference to image quality..
05-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by peasant Quote
Rubbish.
I am agree with you because the most important thing to make high quality photos is what you have between your own ears, and of course, how you use it ;-)

I am not agree with you because among all the things you keep between your hands, the lens is the most impoant thing regarding photo quality ;-)

The camera body is used as a storage for the sensor (or film) with a possibilty to mount different lenses in various focal length / quality / price of your choise.
Of course, the camera body also has some additional features like light meter and some very complicated software (digital cameras only) to make a photo out of the signals registered by the sensor +++

Personally, I am using K-5 because it is buildt like a tank and it is one of the few cameras at the market that are really weather proof. That is important for me. You might have other preferences for choosing a camera body.