Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I'm going to go and shoot a squire and take it's picture and match them up in a head to head show down.

05-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All I know is I like the one I got and plan to keep it : LOL
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If that isn't confusing enough, there is also a non-SMC Pentax-F 70-200.

I had included it in the second class: Pentax/ Takumar 70-200mm. These two are practically the same lens, since neither has SMC. I read somewhere that this lens was sold as "Pentax" in Europe, and as "Takumar" in the US (or the other way around). I'm very, very happy with mine (actually, with both copies I have). After deciding that my style of shooting was such that I would not put my DA L 55-300 to much work, I sold the 55-300, but only a month later I got a Tak-F 70-200mm. What a pleasant surprise! Optically on the par with the DA L 55-300 (ceteris paribus). The fact that it was cheap ($65) made me even happier. I like its sturdiness (wasn't fond of my DA L 55-300 plastic mount) and its very responsive AF.

It seems F lenses are quite good (and cheap, because generally 'unheralded') performers. I was thinking of getting a Pentax-F 28-90mm, which many say is excellent, but it's very rare that copies of this lens show up on the various online markets. So, I began to look into the Takumar-F 28-80mm. The lack of SMC isn't an issue for me, since I plan to use it only indoors, with a YN 560 flash. The 28-80mm is excellent for me, for this purpose. (And I'd really like to have a sturdy lens mounted on the camera, for balance, when using an external flash.) Anyone here knows anything about it?

Last edited by causey; 05-30-2011 at 10:28 AM.
05-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I guess I'm going to go and shoot a squire and take it's picture and match them up in a head to head show down.
You mean, the F 70-200mm vs F 70-210mm? I'm very curious.

05-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm up to my butt in nuts, so I thought

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
You mean, the F 70-200mm vs F 70-210mm? I'm very curious.
I'm up to my butt with so many nuts where I live I figured I could find a squire around here. Then see who had the better picture. However, I'm lucky just to know how to turn my camera on & push the shutter.
05-31-2011, 05:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm up to my butt with so many nuts where I live I figured I could find a squire around here.
Oh, I (& many others, I'm sure) wondered what you were talking about in your earlier post..... squirrels.

Last edited by raymeedc; 05-31-2011 at 05:17 AM.
05-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Oh, I (& many others, I'm sure) wondered what you were talking about in your earlier post..... squirrels.
Sorry for the misspelled word... I was online with Adobe Tech support yesterday for 4 hrs as I allowed them to have remote access to my system. I just got LightroomV3 and was trying to install Elements9. So, in between, I was jumping over to my other computer and writing stuff that makes no sense.

"squirrels" That was the word, & spell check usually picks up my really poor spelling.

I think I'll go find a bunny to take a picture of. Then I'll try and win the shoot out by subject matter.

Anyway, I love how everyone is using old glass as it works so well and very easy on the pocket book.
05-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I just got LightroomV3 and was trying to install Elements9.
Coincidentally I, too, am between installations of Elements 9 & Lightroom 3 (obtained with funds I was able to "squirrel" away over the winter months), but the other way around..... I installed Elements last night & intend to install Lightroom later on today.

05-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Coincidentally I, too, am between installations of Elements 9 & Lightroom 3 (obtained with funds I was able to "squirrel" away over the winter months), but the other way around..... I installed Elements last night & intend to install Lightroom later on today.
Wow, I would love to get your input and feedback on how well they work together. I'm loving lightroom, and have Serif PhotoPlusX4 which is fine, but I wanted to see how Elements work together.
05-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMHO - with lightroom, all you need is GIMP for touchup.

It's free .

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
05-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Wow, I would love to get your input and feedback on how well they work together. I'm loving lightroom, and have Serif PhotoPlusX4 which is fine, but I wanted to see how Elements work together.
I too am anxious to see how they might compliment each other. I imagine it's going to take a while working with them to begin extracting their full potential. Before this I had been working with an older copy of Elements 6..... working with these two programs should be a nice step up in convenience & capabilities.
05-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Our older lenses are great, but..

I too am anxious to see how they might compliment each other. I imagine it's going to take a while working with them to begin extracting their full potential. Before this I had been working with an older copy of Elements 6..... working with these two programs should be a nice step up in convenience & capabilities.
On many of them, there can be some metering problems, which can be fixed easily in LR, or many of the editing programs. I like LRv3 for the way it can remember where in the lens there is a problem & you fix it once, & click sync and it knows where all the spots are which need to be healed. Now that's cool.

I have a nice Pentax A 35-105mm. Great color, nice & sharp and a few sm nicks in the glass which only show up at certain angles. With LR, it's just one click & they're fixed.