Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this chips fixable??

I recently found this lens and the owner is willing to let it go for cheap.

It's a A* 300mm F4.

How much effect it's going to show on the pic?
Is this fixable?

The one in the very middle

Last edited by MegaPower; 05-30-2011 at 12:15 AM.
05-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Those look like fingerprints/smudges, and can probably be cleaned

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Where is the chip, is it the white dot slightly left of centre? If so it's probably not fixable but may have very little impact on the IQ unless you shoot in the minimal aperture settings like f22. Do a google search for broken lens pictures, you should see what some all but destroyed lens is still capable of.

Thanks,
05-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

From that picture it's hard top say if there's any irrepairable damage but even if was, if you want to have THAT lens just take it, for the right price of course. The front element can take enormous damage before affecting IQ, so even with small scratch os so you'll be just finre...

05-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My bad.
It's the chip in the middle.
05-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Where is the chip, is it the white dot slightly left of centre? If so it's probably not fixable but may have very little impact on the IQ unless you shoot in the minimal aperture settings like f22. Do a google search for broken lens pictures, you should see what some all but destroyed lens is still capable of.

Thanks,
I did.
I saw a lens cracked from the middle all the way to the end like a spider net.
It still takes good pics, except flares and sharpness.

I can't find any cases that someone is able to fix a chips tho.
05-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I did.
I saw a lens cracked from the middle all the way to the end like a spider net.
It still takes good pics, except flares and sharpness.

I can't find any cases that someone is able to fix a chips tho.
There are some threads in the forums here that shows similar things, I just can't locate them. If the price is really right, I would take a chance at it. It's resale value will not be much but if you can get stellar images from it, it could be a bargain.

Thanks,
05-30-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
I had a lens with similar damage some years ago. During a car rally a small stone must have shot off a tire of a passing car and hit my lens like a small bullet. It left a hole perhaps a smidgen bigger than the one in your picture.

Pictures taken with this lens did not show any ill effect under perfect light conditions at other times however under certain light the white of the pulverized glass of the impact site did show up as a faint white shadow. (Can you have a white shadow?) I remedied this successfully by dabbing on (into) the hole a small amount of clear nail polish with a very fine pointed small brush. This made the white glass powder go clear. From than on I never had any problems with this lens.

Hope this information is of use to you.

Greetings

05-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #9

If the lens is cheap and you are happy with it, go for it. My suggestion would be to "spot" the chip with black paint. That will stop any flare or other effects coming from it and so the result will be a very negligable loss in "speed" perhaps less than a 1/10 of a stop

Kim
05-30-2011, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
If the lens is cheap and you are happy with it, go for it. My suggestion would be to "spot" the chip with black paint. That will stop any flare or other effects coming from it and so the result will be a very negligable loss in "speed" perhaps less than a 1/10 of a stop

Kim
Sorry I disagree.
Don't use black paint, if the spot shows up it will be more noticeable than the clear nail polish I suggested. I spent a lot of time experimenting at the time.

I put some water on the damage to make the white glass dust more transparent and stuck next to it a black paper patch of the same size (Because I had the same idea about the black and I wanted to find out before committing myself.) I than took a series of shots under a lot of different light conditions and angles. I can tell you that the water worked best, and when I put the clear nail polish on it was even better still.

Greetings
05-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had similar idea but seems you put it to work.

I was thinking the windshield repair kit for car.
05-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's terrible, awful, buy it cheap and send it to me!
Seriously, way back when, I shot Proms with a Rollie medium format that had a bigger scratch than that and my pics were well reviewed. The scratch never showed on the prints.
05-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I was thinking the windshield repair kit for car.
Could be a goer as well but it is way too expensive. In the end it'll probably cost you more than the lens is worth.

To tell you the truth the trick with the clear nail polish I learned from an old news reporter friend of mine who was confronted with the same problem. At the time he used a certain jelly (let your imagination run wild) because he did not have any nail polish which he used later on.

Greetings
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter

It will have no effect on the image - only resale value.
05-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Could be a goer as well but it is way too expensive. In the end it'll probably cost you more than the lens is worth.

To tell you the truth the trick with the clear nail polish I learned from an old news reporter friend of mine who was confronted with the same problem. At the time he used a certain jelly (let your imagination run wild) because he did not have any nail polish which he used later on.

Greetings
just FIY, The kit is about US$10-20 only.
but the nail polish looks easier to use.