Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 01:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it was the old price for the FA50 w/o a doubt I'd recommend it. At its current price, I'd rather a 43ltd.
I've always found the 43ltd to be not only sharp but also often giving that 'sharp till it pops' '3D' effect that is often mentioned here.
Personally, its like a 'shorter' 50mm, and more versatile. It will work in a pinch as a walk around lens more so than the tighter FOV of the 50mm on APS-C.
I'd reach for my M85/2 if I wanted less DOF anyway.

05-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Get whichever is cheaper. There are enough good examples of awesome result both lenses are capable of producing.

Comparing both, 43mm might be a bit sharper at f2.8 but both are close at f2. At wide open both lenses are 'soft' compared to their individual peak performance.
05-31-2011, 02:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently used a M50 1:4 and found it really difficult to get a sharp shot. When I did it was REALLY sharp. I am using a K5 and was shooting kids (with the K5....)
When you turn the camera on with a M50 it comes up with a screen requesting a focal length, what is that all about? Also any other tips on using this lens appreciated.
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, still on topic, sort of?
05-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

input focal length is to let the camera know what level of SR it should apply

05-31-2011, 06:06 AM   #20

This is a tough call. I have used an FA 50mm 1.4 and we did not seem to click. I own an A 50mm 1.7 which compared to the FA 50mm I think has a nicer image in sharpness, colour and rendering. I also have the 43mm which is great in all areas as well as build quality. I also think that 43mm is a bit more versatile for my uses in terms of focal.

A comparison that I think would be interesting is the A 50mm 1.7 to the 43mm. From my own experience the images are very similar. I have read that the F-50mm 1.7 is optically the same as the A 50mm 1.7 if this is true and you are on a budget I would seek out the F-50mm 1.7 I personally love my A 50mm 1.7 and think it is poor mans 43mm ltd, but that is just my opinion from my own usage.

PS- I am also biased due to build quality. I know it has nothing to do with image quality but I like a lens that looks and feels good.
05-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #21

You have more choices than just the 43mm.
It really does depend on what focal lenght will serve you best for your purpoful shooting.

If I understand, you want pop and sharpness wide open in a fast lens. But what kind of shooting will you do?

For APS-C, I think the FA 43mm is a better choice for me in some situations, and so I traded away my FA 50 f/1.4.

But similarly for APS-C, I also have the Nokton 58mm f/1.4, and you might consider this FL (The 55mm and the 58mm would be another heartwrenching choice).

So for me it's the 50mm FL that is odd-man out.

-W
06-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #22
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Is the 43mm f1.9 that much better than the 50mm f1.4? Is it worth the price difference and does the 43mm f1.9 really render images that much better than the 50mm f1.4?
Thats what 9 weeks old Helen says when she yesterday sees a FA43 first time in her life:

"Man! Whats that for a beautiful black camera and what a nice piece of glass...?!"

Rainer
06-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Thats what 9 weeks old Helen says when she yesterday sees a FA43 first time in her life:
Rainer,

Thanks for posting that beautiful baby portrait. It is a definitive response to uninformed comments about the FA43 being soft wide open. It also confirms my own conviction that it is a wonderful portrait lens, even for extreme close-ups, such as yours. Additionally, I would point out the gorgeous tonal rendering and bokeh in your photo. Bad bokeh is another canard often leveled at the FA43, mostly by people who have never used it. In my own experience, the bokeh can get a little nervous with very busy backgrounds shooting at f1.9. In those situations, simply stopping down to f2.8 makes everything better. It's a fantastic lens.

Rob

FA43, f2.8, K-7

Last edited by robgo2; 06-04-2011 at 10:01 AM.
06-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #24
TKH
Veteran Member

Thanks Rob.
The FA43 is the most point for me to shoot Pentax.
Here two annother f1.9 examples from yesterday:

06-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

You can find the FA 50 used for about 1/2 the price of the 43. (typically ~250).

At this price it is a killer lens. My personal favourite. A lot of that has to do with the focal length.

I think the best way to decide between the 50 and the 43 is to think about what focal length you want. The 43 is less of a portrait, more of an all purpose length. The 50 is the opposite (verging on portrait length, less of an all purpose lens).

The other thing is how they render. The 50 is oldschool. You can get your fair share of pop with it, it is a sharp lens. The bokeh, on the other hand, is like cream. With the 43, the bokeh has more character. The rendering in general is more busy with the 43 (as can be seen above, very pleasing), while the 50 reminds me of older photographs, where detail is lost in a pleasing blur. It's up to you, really. The 43 is a distinctive and modern look. The 50 is a classic look.

For me, I prefer 50mm. I actually like 55mm best, but I don't want to invest in the DA* 55 because I have no need for SDM or WR... so the 43 would be a move in the wrong direction for me.

Also be aware that these photos that have been posted with the 43 must have been taken fairly close to the subjects.

With babies, you can get away with that. However you might find yourself a little close for older subjects who want some personal space (assuming you are going to be framing your shots like the ones above).

Really... it's all about focal length.
06-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
The other thing is how they render. The 50 is oldschool. You can get your fair share of pop with it, it is a sharp lens. The bokeh, on the other hand, is like cream. With the 43, the bokeh has more character. The rendering in general is more busy with the 43 (as can be seen above, very pleasing), while the 50 reminds me of older photographs, where detail is lost in a pleasing blur. It's up to you, really. The 43 is a distinctive and modern look. The 50 is a classic look
Although I agree to a certain extent, I would point out that some people consider the FA43 to be old school, while the DA40 is modern.

QuoteQuote:
Also be aware that these photos that have been posted with the 43 must have been taken fairly close to the subjects.

With babies, you can get away with that. However you might find yourself a little close for older subjects who want some personal space (assuming you are going to be framing your shots like the ones above).
I don't quite get your point. Most adults, especially those of middle age and beyond, hate close-up photos, so you have to step back, regardless of the lens being used. The posted baby photos are good examples of how the FA43 renders at f1.9 and f2.8. Even the ring highlights in the last two are not at all unpleasant, which is pretty impressive for f1.9.

Rob
06-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Although I agree to a certain extent, I would point out that some people consider the FA43 to be old school, while the DA40 is modern.
It's a pretty dramatic continuum from vintage FA 50 -- FA 43 -- DA 40. The 40 looks ultramodern.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Most adults, especially those of middle age and beyond, hate close-up photos, so you have to step back, regardless of the lens being used.
Yes, so tighter framing require a longer focal length. My point is that shots of adults like you posted of the children would be difficult. I had that experience with my 40.

I think, at the end of the day, the decision between the 43 and 50 should be based primarily on rendering preference, and even more importantly, focal length (which is the most important attribute of any lens).

The 43 is a great lens, but if you are debating between it and the 50, one might want to consider the lens' primary purpose. If you are planning on shooting a lot of portraits, a 50 or 55 might serve you better. 43 is better for environmental portraiture / general purpose lens (31 or 35 is even better).

Unlike a lot of people, I look at the focal length of a lens first. I think that is how one should select a prime, since you are pretty much dedicating yourself to a very specific perspective.
06-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
It's a pretty dramatic continuum from vintage FA 50 -- FA 43 -- DA 40. The 40 looks ultramodern.

Yes, so tighter framing require a longer focal length. My point is that shots of adults like you posted of the children would be difficult. I had that experience with my 40.

I think, at the end of the day, the decision between the 43 and 50 should be based primarily on rendering preference, and even more importantly, focal length (which is the most important attribute of any lens).

The 43 is a great lens, but if you are debating between it and the 50, one might want to consider the lens' primary purpose. If you are planning on shooting a lot of portraits, a 50 or 55 might serve you better. 43 is better for environmental portraiture / general purpose lens (31 or 35 is even better).

Unlike a lot of people, I look at the focal length of a lens first. I think that is how one should select a prime, since you are pretty much dedicating yourself to a very specific perspective.
Have to agree on that.-

06-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #29
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you looked at this thread yet?
I've been spoiled by the FA 43mm Ltd.... - PentaxForums.com
06-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Great stuff over there, Ash, thanks.

Focal length wise, I think this 43 is just about right. The 50mm was a little longer (for a standard lens) than I like, and the 35 is ok; the 43 feels... very good. It's vying with the Helios 44m for camera time right now.