Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I was in at our local Camera Shop on the weekend and was actually told "If you need Pentax gear, just shop online". They didnt even ask if they could order stuff in for me, they just didnt want to know.
*sigh*
The shop here in Tally that pulled that on me 3 years ago folded up and became a digital printing shop and processes some c41 stuff and sells a few camera bags.

05-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel like I'm a lucky one, at one local camera shop, I can talk to guys who actually shoot Pentax, and they've even got a video review/test of the 645D on youtube!
05-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Oh damn... an excuse to travel down to wonderful Melbourne. Dang!

(and no, I'm not being sarcastic)
They even stock some out in the suburbs. Kirks camera's in Ringwood actually pushed me toward pentax. I went in looking for a canikon and a couple of the guys on different occasions pushed me to pentax. first guy to the k-x second guy to the k-7. I Just wish they told me to wait for the k-5
05-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
However, he said that mounting an old lens on a Pentax would prevent the camera from even turning on, and that was why Pentax digital cameras were a failure.
If I were the ballsier type of shopper, I would have simply said "You're wrong. Look it up." and then walk away. At that point the guy could choose to get educated or stay ignorant.

If I run into somebody who knows nothing about Pentax, or any other brand besides Canon and Nikon, I can reasonably assume they are only a salesman who needs to pay his rent. On the other hand, I work at a photo lab where most of what we do is print, yet we make it a point to verse ourselves in using as many cameras as possible. Why? Because we get everybody, from 16 year-old kids to grandparents asking us how to find a menu item, change the flash setting, or the grand-daddy of them all "Which way do I put in this memory card?"

05-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I stopped by a well-known camera store in Indianapolis to browse. They keep a small collection of used Pentax lenses, but unfortunately it was all overpriced and mostly junk.
You must be talking about Roberts. That's where I develop all my large prints. It's hard to beat an 8x10 for $1.

I believe they also carry a small selection of new but mostly unimpressive Pentax lenses. Glass from the film era I believe. I talked to one of their salesmen about Pentax one time, and he seemed open minded, but wasn't too informed about modern Pentax cameras.
05-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
You must be talking about Roberts. That's where I develop all my large prints. It's hard to beat an 8x10 for $1.

I believe they also carry a small selection of new but mostly unimpressive Pentax lenses. Glass from the film era I believe. I talked to one of their salesmen about Pentax one time, and he seemed open minded, but wasn't too informed about modern Pentax cameras.
I haven't seen any new Pentax glass in there for many years; maybe I haven't looked hard enough. They do show it on their website.

I've also had a lot of prints made there over the years (from film). I don't get in there much anymore because I live in West Lafayette, about 75 miles north.
05-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I got lucky. I went to the Wolf camera near my house six years ago fully expecting to be choosing between a Canon and a Nikon. They had an *istDS on sale, though, and on trying it out, I liked how it *felt* better than the others. Plus my wife had a K1000 and a couple of lenses, so Pentax seemed like a viable option. The salesman I got - Carl - happened to be the one guy who knew anything about Pentax. He was a Canon guy himself (I think), but he seemed to have a soft spot for Pentax. He was very frank about the tradeoffs, but seemed honestly pleased when I chose the *istDS. He always remembered me (I don't know that he ever knew my name) when I would drop by the store after that, and was excited to see the lenses I would have with me (they didn't carry the Limiteds or anything interesting). Great guy. I'm sure I wouldn't be a Pentaxian if not for him - not because he pushed me in that direction (he didn't), but just because he was knowledge, fair, and honest, and he let me come to that decision on my own.

I haven't seen him in quite a while and suspect he didn't survive the bankruptcy and restructuring they went through. Hopefully he found something better. For some reason I've been thinking about him lately. I plan to drop by the store, see if they have contact info for him, and send him a thank you card.
05-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If I had to depend on store clerks for advice on tech products, I'd be in sh!t-shape. Some know, some don't. (Mea culpa: About 25 years ago, I clerked in a HALTEK electronics store, selling PC's. I was hired because I'd already had careers in electronics and computers. And I *still* didn't know sh!t from shinola.) I expect that in most tech stores, the owner *might* be knowledgeable if they've had the place for a decade or more; otherwise, I expect little, especially if it's my first time there.

So I do my own research and mostly ignore the staff. I don't care what they want to sell me. I don't care what ANYONE wants to sell me. I have no reason to trust them. I go in either knowing what I want, or just to fondle the gear. I'll let them point me towards stuff I ask about; and if they point me towards irrelevancies, I walk away. There's always another store.

05-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The salesman I got - Carl - happened to be the one guy who knew anything about Pentax. He was a Canon guy himself (I think), but he seemed to have a soft spot for Pentax. He was very frank about the tradeoffs
Your experience is very much like mine when I started with Pentax DSLRs. I went to our local Henry's store and was talking to the salesman, his name was Chris (quite a young guy, in his early 20s). I was shooting with a Panasonic FZ-8 and wanted to move up to DSLR. He did actually ask me why I wanted to move up and even though he was a Canon man himself, we went through all the major & minor brands. (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony & Pentax). Like your sales guy, he was knowledgeable about the different brands and their strengths and weaknesses. I mentioned that I had a 30 year old Chinon with a 50mm & a 28mm lens. His reply was that with the Pentax you've already got two lenses that will work well.

He also mentioned that I shouldn't really decide that same day, do a bit of reading & come on back since you are buying into a complete system. So I did & he sold me my K200, next year I got my K20.

What impressed me about him was that in addition to shooting Canon, he also had a point & shoot for when he went out partying with his buddies and for landscape work he had an old Linhof he was proud of but didn't shoot it too much due to the cost of the film and prints.

I always remembered that knowledge and service and generally use them when I need things.
05-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm lucky and unlucky.

Lucky in that we have 2 camera shops in town. The local shop doesn't carry pentax but has a few leftover accessories and some old vivitar zooms in K-mount. But they smile when I come in and get me what I need. One of the guys there loves Pentax but says that they have too much of a minimum order and restrictive ordering practices that it's just not worth it for a small shop their size.

The second shop is Ritz. It's where I went to look at entry level Nikons a couple of years ago and ended up walking out wanting a Pentax after feeling it in my hands. There are a couple of kids that don't know much about pentax but I can understand it since they no longer carry them. The manager is great, I was considering switching to Nikon a few months back and he thought I was crazy. He loved the K-x and K-5 and raved about Pentax primes & glass. He was just bummed that they no longer carried pentax.
05-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
However, he said that mounting an old lens on a Pentax would prevent the camera from even turning on, and that was why Pentax digital cameras were a failure.
Your salesman must've eaten a lot of lead paint chips as a kid. He certainly has no business working in a camera store. It's not like Pentax is some kind of obscure oddball off-brand thing from the Ukraine or something... Had that camera store been a relatively short distance from my house I would have drove back with my camera and a 30 year old M42 lens mounted, taken a picture of the aforementioned sales-twit, shown him the photo and said "OK... 'splain this, then." Then I would've kicked back and relaxed while his head popped like:

There's a tiny camera shop here in the small Iowa town of 11,000 where I live, and another slightly larger shop in nearby Ottumwa, Iowa. In both stores, they're familiar with Pentax and regard it (rightly so) in the same pantheon as Nikon & Canon. But they also have an IQ above that of lunch meat...

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
05-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
But they also have an IQ above that of lunch meat...
Love that phrase!!! I'll remember that for the future. But I hope you're not insulting the lunch meat, it does have a use

I actually quite like it in sandwiches.

(Is that animation you have from the film 'Scanners'?)
05-31-2011, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

1) Be more specific: An IQ greater than head cheese, probably.
2) Bingo! The animation IS from the Cronenburg film SCANNERS.
3) Never argue with store clerks, burros, cops, nor head cheese.
05-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
3) Never argue with store clerks, burros, cops, nor head cheese.
Thanks for the new sig line.
05-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #30
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Then I would've kicked back and relaxed while his head popped like:
That is absolutely gross.