Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Wise advice, but probably futile.

What fun is that?!?!?!? BTW I haven't accumulated my 200+ lenses just for incremental improvements, but because 1) they're mostly cheap old manual primes, and 2) each has a different flavour. Does anyone NEED five Fifty's? Do I really NEED forty Fifty's? (I probably haven't reached my limit there; and at least one member here owns more Fifty's than I have lenses, total.)

It's not a matter of need, nor that this one is incrementally 'better' than that one. No, my lust is for cheap deals, and now for lenses with unique characters. I'm sure that a set of FA-Ltd's would be very Nice To Own. But even if I receive another inheritance and buy them, they won't 'replace' what I have. Each lens is its own window on the world. My various Fifty's all see the world differently. A couple weren't cheap; the others were. All are great to take out for a day or three, to taste the differences.

When I began this dSLR and lens-buying adventure 3 years ago, I considered 'coverage'. Oh yeah, I'm covered from 10mm to 1000mm. Then I wanted (and still want) speed. OK, so now I have a K50/1.2, and fast glass at 24-28-35-55-85-135mm, and fairly fast at 16-105-200mm. Then I got hooked on character. So now I have SLOW lenses at 21-35-50-75-100-127-140-162-180-200mm and elsewhere that render nicely, differently. Paring back isn't an option. Looking at the world through all those windows, is a joy.
For me, it's about finding the lenses that I like to work with, that I like to hold and look through. Some I love, some I don't. The DA70? Nope. The DA35? Nope. The Helios 44M? Yeah! Score, baby, $27 delivered ... The Sigma 10-20? Not so much (gonna sell that one and get a DA15, I think )... The DA* 50-135? Absolutely!

If you like the way a lens feels, and like the way it looks through the viewfinder, I think you'll use it more. I sometimes go out and take pictures just because I want to look through my Tamron 180 f2.5 And this means more opportunities - to fail, and to succeed - in creating images you like.

06-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Wise advice, but probably futile.

What fun is that?!?!?!? BTW I haven't accumulated my 200+ lenses just for incremental improvements, but because 1) they're mostly cheap old manual primes, and 2) each has a different flavour. Does anyone NEED five Fifty's? Do I really NEED forty Fifty's? (I probably haven't reached my limit there; and at least one member here owns more Fifty's than I have lenses, total.)

It's not a matter of need, nor that this one is incrementally 'better' than that one. No, my lust is for cheap deals, and now for lenses with unique characters. I'm sure that a set of FA-Ltd's would be very Nice To Own. But even if I receive another inheritance and buy them, they won't 'replace' what I have. Each lens is its own window on the world. My various Fifty's all see the world differently. A couple weren't cheap; the others were. All are great to take out for a day or three, to taste the differences.

When I began this dSLR and lens-buying adventure 3 years ago, I considered 'coverage'. Oh yeah, I'm covered from 10mm to 1000mm. Then I wanted (and still want) speed. OK, so now I have a K50/1.2, and fast glass at 24-28-35-55-85-135mm, and fairly fast at 16-105-200mm. Then I got hooked on character. So now I have SLOW lenses at 21-35-50-75-100-127-140-162-180-200mm and elsewhere that render nicely, differently. Paring back isn't an option. Looking at the world through all those windows, is a joy.
Even though this is a very different path from what my photographic journey is, I totally get this and can see how this could be fun. You have opened my eyes a bit to your perspective, RioRico!
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
If you're still reading jstevewhite, what is it you love so much about the DA* 50-135? For some reason, in my mind that seems llike the perfect lens for me, but I really don't know why (except that I like the focal lengths).
06-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
If you're still reading jstevewhite, what is it you love so much about the DA* 50-135? For some reason, in my mind that seems llike the perfect lens for me, but I really don't know why (except that I like the focal lengths).
Honestly, I think it's because it's the best zoom lens I've ever used. It's sharp from 2.8, and gets bitingly sharp by f4; it's got great color, great saturation, and pretty good bokeh if you're careful about separation.

It is *not* the fastest focusing lens in the world, and many people indicate they've had trouble with SDM. I have not, and the focus speed has proven adequate for me. It is also not a macro lens.

The very best argument I can make for the lens is visual, though :

06-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Very nice photos. I'm sold. So all I have to do is buy this lens and I'll take pics like yours. What am I waiting for? But seriously, if I thought that by buying this lens I could automatically take pictures like yours, I would have to figure out a way to afford it. Since I know there is more to it, I guess I'll just continue to lust after it. Thanks for the info. Jim
06-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
Very nice photos. I'm sold. So all I have to do is buy this lens and I'll take pics like yours. What am I waiting for? But seriously, if I thought that by buying this lens I could automatically take pictures like yours, I would have to figure out a way to afford it. Since I know there is more to it, I guess I'll just continue to lust after it. Thanks for the info. Jim
I would keep it and use it as manual focus even if the SDM died, honestly. But many people feel the Sigma 50-150 is comparable, with faster focus, so that's something to think about.

It is one of those lenses that gets out of your way. If you make a good composition, you push the button, and it's (at least technically) gorgeous. But I'm a sucker for sharp, and this is the sharpest zoom lens I've ever owned (I think I said that), so that probably explains my obsession with it
06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I would keep it and use it as manual focus even if the SDM died, honestly. But many people feel the Sigma 50-150 is comparable, with faster focus, so that's something to think about.

It is one of those lenses that gets out of your way. If you make a good composition, you push the button, and it's (at least technically) gorgeous. But I'm a sucker for sharp, and this is the sharpest zoom lens I've ever owned (I think I said that), so that probably explains my obsession with it
I'm pretty attached to mine, too. One note on the Sigma, you'll want to find a used one as the new model is H-U-G-E. It's sized more like a 70-200. I'm not sure the price has been announced, but it will likely grow considerably there, too.