Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
help with lens compatability between models

Hi

I have a pentax ist-d with the two packaged lenses the DA 18-55mm and also the

DA 50-200mm.

If I upgrade to the K-5 body will these two existing lenses be compatible?

Thanks

05-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, fully.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found this and I think it is great. It's helped me find stuff for myself and for my nephew who has a Pentax film SLR!

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html
06-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, fully.
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I found this and I think it is great. It's helped me find stuff for myself and for my nephew who has a Pentax film SLR!

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
Thank you both - now need to find a cheap K-5 body and maybe just one new lens..........

10-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
pwt
Inactive Account

Lens Compatability

High there, New here.

Before sinking $$$ into a Pentax Digi SLR,
I need to know if the lenses from my K-1000 will
work with the newer Digi SLR cameras.
[Actually I/she have/has two K-1000 bodies.
Maybe I'll get on back someday.

I used to be a cameraholic but age and disability issues wrought their on my field work.

Now my 3rd year college kid has them both for a photog class, along with the standard 50mm, plus a 75-200mm [??] and a 300mm.

But the Mum and I are considering a Digi SLR for graduation.
That's a year and a half away, BUT, it'll take some penny rolling to get there from here.
Yes, we've 'Squandered' her inheritance on school.

I suppose that would be called by shrinks:

Post-Tuition-Stress-Disorder.

Thanks,

pwt
10-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pwt Quote
High there, New here.

Before sinking $$$ into a Pentax Digi SLR,
I need to know if the lenses from my K-1000 will
work with the newer Digi SLR cameras.
[Actually I/she have/has two K-1000 bodies.
Maybe I'll get on back someday.

I used to be a cameraholic but age and disability issues wrought their on my field work.

Now my 3rd year college kid has them both for a photog class, along with the standard 50mm, plus a 75-200mm [??] and a 300mm.

But the Mum and I are considering a Digi SLR for graduation.
That's a year and a half away, BUT, it'll take some penny rolling to get there from here.
Yes, we've 'Squandered' her inheritance on school.

I suppose that would be called by shrinks:

Post-Tuition-Stress-Disorder.

Thanks,

pwt
They will work just fine. If the lens has the A setting everything will work except AF obviously. If it is a third party lens with the A setting you need to look out for the "Ricoh pin" which can get stuck in the AF screw-drive.

If it has the bad kind of pin it is easy enough to remove.

If the lens does not have the A setting it can still be used in M mode with stop down metering.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
10-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
pwt
Inactive Account

Lens Compatability

boriscleto,

Thanks for the info! So,the 'bayonet' mount is the same for k1000 and DSLRs?

pwt

10-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you don't need to remove ricoh pins. just use a small drop of superglue on the pin and hold it down while the glue sets. another thing to watch out for with older third-party lenses is the flange next to the aperture lever, which is sometimes longer than on genuine pentax lenses (like in the first photo boriscleto posted) and will need to be unscrewed or cut down or the lens won't fit newer pentax cameras.
10-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the others said, it will work. There might be some things that you might want to be aware of.

The field of view of your 50mm on a (current) Pentax dSLR will be the same as the wide side of your current 75-200 zoom (75mm) on the K1000. So take into consideration that you might need something wider (e.g. the kit lens or a 35mm lens).

Another point is that modern cameras no longer have the split prism screen so focusing might be a bit more of a hit-and-miss when relying on the AF mechanism telling you that something is in focus. Some of us use third-party split prism screens for manual focus lenses.
10-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by pwt Quote
boriscleto,

Thanks for the info! So,the 'bayonet' mount is the same for k1000 and DSLRs?

pwt

Yes.

There are (basically) 3 kinds of bayonet lenses and degrees of functionality. All of them take pictures just fine.

M and K series lenses require "stop-down metering", which means the metering is kind of slow. (note, if you use them "wide-open", then metering is quick. by "slow", I mean you have to press a button and wait half a second.)
A series lenses meter just like new lenses if you move the aperture dial to the "A" setting, but are still manual focus.
F, FA, DA all autofocus and meter correctly.

tl;dr They all work, some better than others.

Older m42 lenses added by adapter meter quickly, but dim the viewfinder
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good information above. Yes, all Pentax bayonet (PK) mount lenses will fit on a modern Pentax dSLR, as will those from other lensmakers. The only exceptions are the Ricoh-pin lenses noted above, and certain Vivitar lenses with oversize aperture-flag shields. The pin can be glued down or removed; the shield can be cut down or removed. No problem.

One great joy of owning a Pentax dSLR is the ability to use zillions of heritage lenses. That's what I have, zillions of them, mostly fine cheap old manual-focus prime lenses. And I only started to accumulate them a bit over 3 years ago! Of my ~225 lenses, the manual-focus (MF) ones cost an average of US$20 each, and the autofocus (AF) guys cost an average of US$230 each, new and used. Over two hundred bucks just for an autofocus screw! Yow.

The old and new AF lenses, the old PK-mount MF lenses, the older M42-screwmount lenses, all work fine on my K20D, and all but a very few digital-only lenses work fine on my full-frame film cameras too. That's what sets Pentax apart: continuity.
10-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
pwt
Inactive Account

Lens Compatability

Hey,

Thanks so much for the info.

pwt