Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SSS - Vivitar 85mm

I was browsing reviews on Vivitar 85mm f1.4 in various sites and two user comments (extracted below) mentioned something called 'SSS':

'comment:

Overall very nice lens.

Wide open, sharper than KM 85/1.4.

Easy to put a chip which enables SSS and more accurate metering.

Focus ring bit tight and difficult to focus quickly, but no problem for static subject.

Sold my KM 85/1.4 and kept this lens. '

And in another comment by a different user:

'The SSS and f1.4 Is a KILLER combination I tell you'

Can the seniors here tell me what they are talking about as I am planning to acquire one Vivitar! What is that SSS thingy!?

I vaguely understand that since it is fully manual, this is some way of making it semi auto?!!!

Please also suggest how to make it easier for newbies like me to make things simple and what are the adapters that i have to buy to do any such thing.

05-31-2011, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I BELIEVE this is Nikon specific (I no 'zero' about Nikon stuff so I wouldn't know exactly what that means, have seen it before browsing Nikon posts).

As for the lens, the lens is fabulous! Not only is it sharp (stopped down a bit), the IQ is pretty astounding being a 3rd party lens.

If you plan on shooting anything outside with this, make sure you get some ND filters if you need some control over DOF, a good CPL is also good to have or this one. A+++ choice for a lens!

The other Samyang versions seem to be the same lens only with differences in cosmetics. I payed the extra money for the Viv'ee ONLY because of the cosmetics (by far the best looking one) and the Vivitar name...

EDIT: Image from the weekend, low light, no flash, straight from camera, sized for post:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by joe.penn; 05-31-2011 at 10:58 AM.
05-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
I was browsing reviews on Vivitar 85mm f1.4 in various sites and two user comments (extracted below) mentioned something called 'SSS':
SSS is the way some people shorthand Sony SteadyShot, which is a similar technology to Pentax Shake Reduction (you don't see anyone use the term PSR however).

I vaguely understand that since it is fully manual, this is some way of making it semi auto?!!!

Please also suggest how to make it easier for newbies like me to make things simple and what are the adapters that i have to buy to do any such thing.
On Pentax bodies the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 (often re-branded as Rokinon/Vivitar/Polar/Bower/Opteka/Falcon) is a KA mount lens, so it will be manual focus but auto-aperture. Since it is a prime lens, if you have shake reduction active when you turn the camera on it will ask you the focal length of the lens and you can specify 85mm and get the advantages of shake reduction.

The only adapter which would give you autofocus with a manual focus lens would be the Pentax-F 1.7x AF adapter (which would also magnify the image 1.7 times and decrease the amount of light reaching the sensor). Since the cost of that adapter plus the Samyang lens would be getting close to the cost of the new Sigma 85mm lens, you're better off just buying the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 I'd think.
05-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi, no i will not go for the adapter if it shoots the price to sigma.
Is it only samyang that comes with k mount to feature auto aperture or even the other guys too can offer the feature? thanks

05-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it only samyang that comes with k mount to feature auto aperture
Rokinon, Vivitar, Samyang all have the "A" contacts for this particular lens...
06-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote

EDIT: Image from the weekend, low light, no flash, straight from camera, sized for post:
The images are great!
06-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I have one, Rokinon branded. It's big and heavy for a manual lens, has tight focusing ring. Auto aperture is nice - you can focus in low light easily.

For my taste the colors are a bit washed out, Pentax lenses give more saturated colors. Otherwise it can be recovered with PP.

The IQ is good, lens is sharp especially stopped down.