Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Da 14mm f2.8 VS Da* 16-50mm f2.8 at wide end

I like to thank SCGushue (Stephen) for sending me this lens as a smooth transaction from the market place here. Spending so many emails and exchanging information regarding this lens and his experience in landscape photography in general. Personally I found no better ways of buying any lens from him at all!! He even hand tested this lens before shipping it to me!!

Greatly appreciated!

Sorry that I did not really test this lens out because I had a huge run of nightshifts at work (including helping out 2 colleagues with their nightshifts). Strictly speaking, I am feeling like a zombie.

Given that I had Da* 16-50 for 3 weeks so far, I decided to test it out between Da 14 and Da* 16-50

The only thing concerns me is the total weight of luggage carrying all the pentax lenses (pentax gear supposed to be "lighter" than the competition brands). So I see which one is a better at the wide end.

14 mm and 16 mm are not far apart from each other.

All shots taken on tripod, SR off, Cloudy day white balance. Shots in RAW, No PP at all.

Da 14mm at f16 resized

Da 16-50mm at f16 resized

Centre full crop of 14mm at f16

Centre full crop of 16-50mm f16

L lower corner full crop Da 14mm at f16

L lower corner full crop Da 16*-50mm at f16

Then the 2 images taken at f2.8

Da 14mm at f2.8

Da* 16-50mm at f2.8

Centre Crop Da 14mm at f2.8

Centre Crop Da* 16-50mm at f2.8

L lower corner Crop Da 14mm at f2.8

L lower corner crop Da* 16-50mm f2.8

Will post some sample shots taken today

11-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sample Photos from Da* 16-50mm

Conclusion.

I will still bring Da* 16-50 f2.8 for my overseas holiday.

Da 14mm f2.8 wide open is definitely sharper at centre and at corner. Otherwise there is little difference between the two.

But I love the build of Da* zoom. Its feel in hands feels very nice in deed. Its zoom ability is very attractive in a busy scheduled overseas trip I had planned. The performance is reasonable. I love the colour from this zoom though. So rich and beautiful!! A lot of rooms to PP in photoshop.

Here are some shots from today.

(Stephen, I did not end up taking any waterfall shots as I could not bother to drive 4 hours to see one atm)

This is a GOOD lens!
11-09-2007, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi James

Thanks for doing the test. I've been thinking about getting either DA14/2.8 or the Sigma 10-20 for my kit. Sigma 10-20 would fit perfectly into my zoom kit (FA20-35/4, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and F70-210). But DA14/2.8 also tempts me because of its speed and I prefer shooting with a prime most of the time when I am not rushed (ie when I go out for photography) but it is more expensive =(

I probably won't be getting DA*, a little out of my price range.

cheers
Kenny
11-09-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some of the shots seem oversaturated (to me -- or at least to my monitor!). Is that the lens, or is that from PP?

11-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

Thanks for the test, I am actually surprised the 14 was so much sharper at f2.8 than the DA*, because from what I have read and seen, the 14 is not particularly strong wide open, and the DA* surely should be good wide open. The test at f16 is not that interesting to me because the diffraction at f16 means normally the difference between the lenses is not so big, f8 or f5.6 would have been more interesting.

I wanted to get the DA 14, I really wanted that one, but after reading so many comments and test results I just couldnt ignore that the DA 12-24 was sharper, especially in corners, and it was wider, and had less distortion, really oposite from what I would expect in zoom vs prime comparison, apart from the faster speed of the 14. Also DA 14 plus DA 21 is more expensive than DA 12-24. Well thats a bit OT

Again, the 14 is so obviously sharper, bit strange. Would be interesting then to see DA 14 vs DA 12-24 vs DA* 16-50 at f4
11-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
Thanks for doing the test. I've been thinking about getting either DA14/2.8 or the Sigma 10-20 for my kit. Sigma 10-20 would fit perfectly into my zoom kit (FA20-35/4, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and F70-210). But DA14/2.8 also tempts me because of its speed and I prefer shooting with a prime most of the time when I am not rushed (ie when I go out for photography) but it is more expensive =(
I had real fun using Da 14mm f2.8 earlier this year. It is definitely a performer at night. It was on my lens most of the time during travel.

Buy it from US since Aussie dollar is so strong. I am actually buying a lot of lenses atm hehe

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Some of the shots seem oversaturated (to me -- or at least to my monitor!). Is that the lens, or is that from PP?
Yup, I was pushing the images with all kinds of colour to see how far I could push with my original dull images.

Well, a good quality * lens allows you to push the colour as long as the images are taken in RAW. Hence the confidence to bring it along and post process for its draw backs not using primes

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
the 14 is not particularly strong wide open, and the DA* surely should be good wide open. The test at f16 is not that interesting to me because the diffraction at f16 means normally the difference between the lenses is not so big, f8 or f5.6 would have been more interesting.

I wanted to get the DA 14, I really wanted that one, but after reading so many comments and test results I just couldnt ignore that the DA 12-24 was sharper, especially in corners, and it was wider, and had less distortion, really oposite from what I would expect in zoom vs prime comparison, apart from the faster speed of the 14. Also DA 14 plus DA 21 is more expensive than DA 12-24. Well thats a bit OT

Again, the 14 is so obviously sharper, bit strange. Would be interesting then to see DA 14 vs DA 12-24 vs DA* 16-50 at f4
The earlier copies of Da14mm is soft at corners comparing to Da 12-24 at f4

Or it might be just my copy being quite good. I really love my Da 14mm

Da 12-24 does not do f2.8 hence it was off my list (plus the fact that I owned a tokina 12-24 for my canon set up)

I think it would be interesting to compare Da 21 ltd vs Fa* 24 f2 ... (might try to do a comparison another day)

Regards

James
11-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Based on previous tests, the 24 should be sharper in the center and softer in the corners vs the 21. the 21 is a pancacke and has very even sharpness, the 24 is known for having very sharp center and soft corners, similar to the sigma 30... Any new tests are still interesting though

Yes it seems your DA 14 is very sharp and nice, I wanted the f2.8 as well, and I was only using pentax primes at the time, but I guess I didnt want to risk it, everyone (except you) seemed to be saying the 14 was soft in the corners and the 12-24 was sharper. I am happy with my 12-24 though, and the extra 2mm is also very nice so differentiate it from the 16-XX zoom. But as I use a split prism focusing screen that is more coarse and darker than the standard screen, I do miss f2.8... Well whats done is done
11-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Roentarre,
Thanks for taking the time in posting.
Both lenses looks great stopped down. At 2.8 the 14 mm is sharper, as could be expected. At the regular size images, I can’t really see the difference, though.
I like the colours from the DA* 16-50, and I’ve been impressed with the bokeh earlier.

I’ve seen some awesome shots from the 14 mm, does seem one of the better primes that is not a STAR or Limited lens.

I’ve been blown away by Andy’s accomplishments with it :
14mm Rocks [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Is it this waterproof?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

K10D Irelands Causeway Coast: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last night at 14mm: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Duplo’s has also shown some great work with the 14 mm, and a theme park was interested in buying some of his shots.

And here are some 14 mm pictures, and discussion, by various users :
Pentax DA 14/2.8 Landscape [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Godfrey also had some fine architecture shots from the 14 mm.

And lastly some samples from the User Dag T. :
Re: Pentax DA 14mm opinions please: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

seems it comes highly recommended.

I'm gonna get the DA* 16-50 though, would be a great all weather travel lens.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 11-09-2007 at 10:03 AM.
11-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Based on previous tests, the 24 should be sharper in the center and softer in the corners vs the 21. the 21 is a pancacke and has very even sharpness, the 24 is known for having very sharp center and soft corners

Yes it seems your DA 14 is very sharp and nice, I wanted the f2.8 as well, and I was only using pentax primes at the time, but I guess I didnt want to risk it, everyone (except you) seemed to be saying the 14 was soft in the corners and the 12-24 was sharper. I am happy with my 12-24 though, and the extra 2mm is also very nice so differentiate it from the 16-XX zoom.
I know a lot of people are holding Da 12-24 as a holy grail of all wide zooms. (Well, there is only sigma 10-22 left to match it). Still, I think Da 14mm f2.8 still has its place having an advantage of f2.8 since it is very usable if DOF is not an issue.

Speaking of Fa* 24 f2, it can only be used as a protrait lens in my opinion. Its bokeh is not bad at all around the corners. This is often a lens I took to functions or events with friends. Just snapping around friends etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I like the colours from the DA* 16-50, and Iíve been impressed with the bokeh earlier.

Iíve seen some awesome shots from the 14 mm, does seem one of the better primes that is not a STAR or Limited lens.
I love the colour and contrast from Da* zoom a lot, much better than Da 14 in general. Its bokeh is impressive.

Thank you for sharing these images of Da 14 at DPR. I actually missed a couple of excellant shots there since the traffic there is just too fast.

Regards

James
11-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The DA* 16-50 would complete one of the main reasons I bought the K10D. It would give me complete water sealing in a drift boat. Once you launch there's no turning back and you never know for sure what the weather will turn into, especially on a three or four day trip. But that's a huge amount of money for me. I need to build a new computer next year so we'll see how it all shakes out. I put off the new computer this year to get the DSLR and now my new LBA disease is killing me!
So many things to buy and not enough money to get them all.
11-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I love the colour and contrast from Da* zoom a lot, much better than Da 14 in general. Its bokeh is impressive.
Regards

James
Hi James,

you wrote :
"I love the colour from this zoom though. So rich and beautiful!! A lot of rooms to PP in photoshop."

"Well, a good quality * lens allows you to push the colour as long as the images are taken in RAW. Hence the confidence to bring it along and post process for its draw backs not using primes"

How come a good STAR lens allows more room to push colours ?

BTW, mighty fine collection of camera gear and lenses that you've gathered along the way. And good to see that it comes to fine use.
11-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
James,

Thank you for the comments on the forwarding of the lens to you and also for you tests on the lens.

I have to agree with you that the 16-50 is somewhat more handicapped from a sharpness point of view wide open. That is unfortunate but once the stopping down begins the lens really starts to shine through at least f11 to 11.5. While images can still be quite nice at F16 and F22 diffraction does begin to appear and extract it's toll.

The contrast and color rendition is outstanding across the range. Color saturation is quite intense and the tones are really wonderful.

I have been using this lens a little more in some of my autumn landscape work and I have been getting to understand how to use it more effectively.

I look forward to more postings on your utilization of this lens.

Stephen