Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #1

FA 20/2.8 vs A 20/2.8?

Hi!

Who can tell me, is Pentax A 20/2.8 more interesting, than Pentax FA 20/2.8? Now I'm using FA 20/2.8, it is VERY sharp from 2.8 but the lens is not interesting. I'v seen some samples from A 20/2.8 and suppose that he is rather more interesting, but I have no opportunity to try him. Manual focusing is not a problem. IQ is in priority.

Thanks.

06-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both have identical optics, though I won't be surprised if the A received tighter QC & built quality. This is only my opinion however. For ultimate IQ, Zeiss 21/2.8 would be it.
06-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Both have identical optics, though I won't be surprised if the A received tighter QC & built quality. This is only my opinion however. For ultimate IQ, Zeiss 21/2.8 would be it.
Thank you for your opinion. But I don't believe in "identical optics" of A- and FA- series. I suppose that A-series is more interesting - it is all about my experience. For example A 50/1.4 and FA 50/1.4.

Zeiss is much expensive and it is so huge... I like lite lenses.
06-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like my FA20, but only after I sent it in to Pentax (CRIS) is Arizona to have it adjusted. I couldn't tell them exactly what was wrong, just that it didn't live up to the FA20 images I'd seen online. They tested and adjusted it for around $50, and now I really like it.

I don't think "identical optics" are truly identical across the generations. There's something different about the glass in each series. A-series glass has a certain "look" to the way it renders images, as does F glass, DA glass, and so on. For example, the K50/1.2 is not the same as the A50/1.2, and the F50/1.4 is different from the FA50/1.4.

In general I think I like the older series' better. Nevertheless, most of my glass is now FA series and I'm happy with it.

Based on my experience, I think the differences on the Pentax Photo Gallery are a good representation of what you'll see in actual use.