Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't know that Europe is this danger.

How do you insure your lens and camera? Will they pay back how much you pay for it or.... it depreciate overtime (like car insurance)?

Hope you recover your lost.... but I think it ruin some fun every time this kind of thing happen.

06-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #17

well sucks to have stuff stolen but think on a possible upside - insurance might replace new for old and you can get a k5
06-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Theives are regarded as an unpleasant but everyday pitfall in many European countries.

They are scumbags and deserve far stronger punishment than they are currently getting. If anyone steals from someone else, they should have to pay back 10 times the amount, by court order.

Mark my words, things are going to change regardless of tougher laws. We're not far off having everything video'd and sent to the cloud. With face-recognition software thieving (and more serious crimes) will decline hugely.
06-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
mind if I ask how the swiping is done? I mean I haven't experienced my things getting swiped during a trip, so it would help to know any of the things to watch out for. thanks.
I was sitting reading the paper as one does, and at Antwerp (if I recall correctly) a lot of people came on and off and started bustling their way down the central aisle between the seats. I think somebody just saw the camera bag on the overhead shelf and grabbed it as they went past.

When I reported the incident to the police in Holland (had to do that go get an emergency passport) they said that it happens all the time on that particular stretch.

Anyway I learned the lesson not to leave anything valuable and tempting out of direct sight.

I still feel furious when I think about it ...

Tim

06-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #20

This is terrible. I once had my laptop bag (heavy with papers) stolen from UNDER my seat on the train. After that, anything I could carry stayed on my lap. If we travel I put my camera bag on my lap, no matter how uncomfortable I am.

I hope insurance covers it all.
06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
This is terrible. I once had my laptop bag (heavy with papers) stolen from UNDER my seat on the train. After that, anything I could carry stayed on my lap. If we travel I put my camera bag on my lap, no matter how uncomfortable I am.

I hope insurance covers it all.
I suppose putting a handcuff on your bag (as long as the handles are really really durable) would be the best alternative. I don't think thieves are that brave enough and fast enough to use a pliers, hammer, cutter or a chainsaw.
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Theives are regarded as an unpleasant but everyday pitfall in many European countries.

They are scumbags and deserve far stronger punishment than they are currently getting. If anyone steals from someone else, they should have to pay back 10 times the amount, by court order.

Mark my words, things are going to change regardless of tougher laws. We're not far off having everything video'd and sent to the cloud. With face-recognition software thieving (and more serious crimes) will decline hugely.
And your civil liberties....
06-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Thanks for that link, I think that is just what I need! I don't think I have ever seen it at home (Australia) but I'm sure that I'll be able to buy it online.
A number of the online reviews of these products talk about occasions where owners have found their bags with obvious signs that someone tried (unsuccessfully) to cut into them. I've never had that experience with mine, but I have noticed that the construction with the use of stainless steel is excellent.