Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All these wonderful portraits are making me want to take out my 43, which would be my choice, slightly ahead of the 77.

06-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Just to be clear... Are we all agreeing that an FA50-1.4 make a good (or at least adequate) portrait lens; for both head and shoulders and full body portraits on a K-x or other cropped sensor, Pentax made DSLR???

Sometimes I find that all the talk of full-frame-blah-blah versus cropped-sensor-blah-burp just confuses the original issue and stops simple questions from actually being answered without a degree in quantum mathematics... (or some other form of mathematics that equally eludes me...)

Sorry minor gripe... bad day... Hoped for more practical advice regarding mhaws (OP) second post is all, as he stated that he already owns an FA50 but all I saw was comparissons of 50-vs-77 on FF-vs-CrpSensor blah blah.

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 06-15-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: sentance structuring
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Just to be clear... Are we all agreeing that an FA50-1.4 make a good (or at least adequate) portrait lens; for both head and shoulders and full body portraits on a K-x or other cropped sensor, Pentax made DSLR???

Sometimes I find that all the talk of full-frame-blah-blah versus cropped-sensor-blah-burp just confuses the original issue and stops simple questions from actually being answered without a degree in quantum mathematics... (or some other form of mathematics that equally eludes me...)

Sorry minor gripe... bad day... Hoped for more practical advice regarding mhaws (OP) second post is all, as he stated that he already owns an FA50 but all I saw was comparissons of 50-vs-77 on FF-vs-CrpSensor blah blah.
I think 50mm is adequate. It's a little short; I prefer the 55mm fl, and just returned my FA43 (which I will replace with a DA*55 once Amazon credits me the money); but the FA 50mm 1.4 is a good lens no matter how you slice it and dice it, and should be more than adequate for such portraits if 50mm is a FL that works with you.

edit: FOr the record, I sold a DA70mm because it was too long for much of what I do, portrait wise.
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Sorry minor gripe... bad day... Hoped for more practical advice regarding mhaws (OP) second post is all, as he stated that he already owns an FA50 but all I saw was comparissons of 50-vs-77 on FF-vs-CrpSensor blah blah
Sorry should have added that he was having trouble creating oof/bokeh'd backgrounds

06-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #65
Veteran Member

My FA77 is my new favourite for portraits, sorry DA70 & DA*50-135.
06-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Sorry should have added that he was having trouble creating oof/bokeh'd backgrounds
Long focal lengths allow you to throw the background out of focus at a smaller aperture.

E.g., 50mm at f2 = 77 at f2.8 (or something like that).

Therefore, if the 50mm is a little soft at f2, the FA 77 will appear to have better subject isolation than the 50mm.

Or something like that. I personally find the 77 too long unless I am in a studio or outdoors, and prefer the flexibility afforded by a 50mm or 55mm on a crop sensor.

No quantum mechanics required .
06-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
My FA77 is my new favourite for portraits, sorry DA70 & DA*50-135.
Agreed. That is my favorite for portraits. If I want to use it in smaller spaces, I'll shoot with it on film.

06-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Never wanna miss my FA*85
06-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #69
Veteran Member

FA 77, much smaller. Very Portable.
06-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Focal length is a personal thing
Certainly true! I'm on the long end--my current favorite is the A* 135mm. But, of course, I'm an amateur and what I'm after are candid shots where the subject is oblivious to the camera.
06-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny, I've tried to use longer lengths to shoot portraits and just don't like the distance from the subject and other aspects. The FA50/1.4 is very nice for this but I just got a DA35/2.4 because I find myself wanting to be even closer to the subject. Was practicing with it today with my daughter and it is far more intimate in use than anything at the 75+ length. Don't have a degree in Sensation and Perception Psychology or Optics but do know what I like and how the relationship with the subject can profoundly influence what you capture.
06-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Most portrait work for me is outdoors, whether it's human or animal, so the 77 is always my first choice. It just never fails to delight me. But sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, so I will switch to either the DA*55 or the 43. And of course, sometimes it's just about whatever one of those three I happen to have with me.
06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I may have mentioned this before.

1) Almost any lens can produce shots that portray personages. (Florals and cat-heads can be portraits too.) The appropriate characteristics depends on desired context, distances, lighting, etc.

2) The term 'portrait' can cover everything from group or full-body shots down to individual eyes or even fingers. (A famous portrait of Pablo Casals shows just his fingers on the cello neck.) So asking for the best "portrait lens" is like asking for the "best" hammer. In what application? To pound what?

3) 'Portrait' also sloppily includes formal sittings, impromptus, stealth / surveillance shots, etc. All these approaches may require very different lenses. (I'll shoot 'portraits' at a Mafiya funeral with a 1000mm mirror from a safe distance, thanks.) So, define what kind of portraiture you want.

The ambiguity of the question "If only one portrait lens, which?" produces the wide range of answers seen here. Many types of portraits are possible; thus, many varied lenses are appropriate. So the correct answer is: DING! WRONG QUESTION!
06-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Just to be clear... Are we all agreeing that an FA50-1.4 make a good (or at least adequate) portrait lens
Barely sort of adequate if you already have one in my opinion, definitely not worth spending money on because it's just too short for me. Others like the focal length.

QuoteQuote:
Sometimes I find that all the talk of full-frame-blah-blah versus cropped-sensor-blah-burp just confuses the original issue and stops simple questions from actually being answered without a degree in quantum mathematics...
Just because you weren't interested in the answer to the question someone asked about this doesn't mean you need to cop an attitude about it. Some people like to understand things.
06-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lots of lenses can be used to shoot great portraits of course, but I fell in love with the A*85/1.4 just after I sold it I used it a lot in the week-end before posting it and jeez, the images just pop out of the frame!