Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wanna give a vote to DA*55mm/f1.4 since it is a wonderful lens.

06-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Yes, my point was only to show that it was easy to make the calculation. In fact, 70mm is a bit tight on a crop format camera for a bust portrait. I prefer 58mm, and 85mm on 24 x 36.

But it there is no dogma in portraiture. There have been so many great portraits shot with a 80mm lens on a 6 x 6 camera (Hasselblad, Rolleiflex) to prove that a slightly "wide" lens (equivalent to a 45mm lens on 24 x 36) can also deliver great results.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Yes. I like the flexibility of 75mm on a 645. Perspective is not a problem if I want to crop it, and I can use the wider shot if it suits me. The 150mm works well in terms of distance, but the perspective on a head shot is decidedly different.
06-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Yes, my point was only to show that it was easy to make the calculation. In fact, 70mm is a bit tight on a crop format camera for a bust portrait. I prefer 58mm, and 85mm on 24 x 36.

But it there is no dogma in portraiture. There have been so many great portraits shot with a 80mm lens on a 6 x 6 camera (Hasselblad, Rolleiflex) to prove that a slightly "wide" lens (equivalent to a 45mm lens on 24 x 36) can also deliver great results.

Cheers!

Abbazz
I did a lot of work with the standard 80mm Hassy lens on 6x6, but when I shot portraits they usually needed bleed and copy space, so they were shot with more room than one would do to create a portrait a la Olan Mills. It's a different mentality when you shoot for negative space that will be filled with something later. If I was doing head-and-shoulders corporate portraits, I used the 150mm every time.

I'm a big fan of the focal length of my Helios 44m (58mm); I'm hoping the 3mm between the Helios and the DA* 55 won't be offputting.
06-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
If I was doing head-and-shoulders corporate portraits, I used the 150mm every time.
So that's why those corporate types always look fat. But it's good to know there are others who lean toward the long end.

06-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I may have mentioned this before.

1) Almost any lens can produce shots that portray personages. (Florals and cat-heads can be portraits too.) The appropriate characteristics depends on desired context, distances, lighting, etc.

2) The term 'portrait' can cover everything from group or full-body shots down to individual eyes or even fingers. (A famous portrait of Pablo Casals shows just his fingers on the cello neck.) So asking for the best "portrait lens" is like asking for the "best" hammer. In what application? To pound what?

3) 'Portrait' also sloppily includes formal sittings, impromptus, stealth / surveillance shots, etc. All these approaches may require very different lenses. (I'll shoot 'portraits' at a Mafiya funeral with a 1000mm mirror from a safe distance, thanks.) So, define what kind of portraiture you want.

The ambiguity of the question "If only one portrait lens, which?" produces the wide range of answers seen here. Many types of portraits are possible; thus, many varied lenses are appropriate. So the correct answer is: DING! WRONG QUESTION!
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I guess we need to define portraiture before we can decide what the best focal length would be. If you are shooting for a high school year book in a studio you would select a different lens than if you a shooting an environmental portrait for a quarterly report of a major law firm.

The guy shooting in a studio with controlled lighting and background will approach the task differently than someone working in the field.

Since a "portrait" can mean so many things to so many different people it is next to impossible to pick a single focal length as the ideal.
That's what I said above. Until / unless 'portrait' is defined, we can all rhapsodize about our favourite people-shooting lenses, and we will NEVER reach any agreement or consensus. The question is thus meaningless.
06-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's what I said above. Until / unless 'portrait' is defined, we can all rhapsodize about our favourite people-shooting lenses, and we will NEVER reach any agreement or consensus. The question is thus meaningless.
I don't think the OP was really expecting a consensus - I certainly wasn't. I think he was just looking for people's thoughts:

QuoteOriginally posted by mhaws Quote
If you could have only ONE portrait lens, what would it be? (obviously I know this is subjective, but I'd like to hear what and why)
Seems like he was fishing for the diverse opinions that have been expressed, no?
06-17-2011, 04:20 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems like he was fishing for the diverse opinions that have been expressed, no?
Yes and many of us have defined what we mean by portrait in our responses.
06-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #98
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't think the OP was really expecting a consensus - I certainly wasn't. I think he was just looking for people's thoughts:
Exactly.

06-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #99
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was over at a friend's house yesterday evening meeting her new puppy. I snapped another reason why the FA77 is my favorite portrait lens.

06-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Hi, everyone.

There are many varied and valid opinions here regarding portrait lenses, but right now, and for the last few years my favorite has been my Pentax DA70mm f2.4.

I love it, because of its small size, yet big performance.

Here are a few examples:

Real person example: A shot of a friend of mine at a party. The green balloon is a distraction, but this was a grab shot, and I didn't have time to adjust anything in the frame.
DA70mm @ f5.6 @ 1/60 sec. Taken near a window. Pentax 540FGZ flash in P-TTL mode.

Still life example. DA70mm @ f2.8 @ 1/8 sec.

Same lens, same composition taken @ f8.0 @ 1 sec.

Notice the differences in the background behind the nose, the far shoulder and the wound on the chest. The point of focus was Jesus' eyelid.

Photo was taken at The Cloisters in upper Manhattan.

I sometimes use my Lensbaby, or my old, manual focus Pentax M 100mm macro lenses for portraits, but I still love the results, and the lens-camera-flash communication you get with the DA70mm.

Mike