Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Should PENTAX make a f/1.0 or faster lens?
Yes 5340.15%
No 7959.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #76
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
The could start by putting the M 20/1.4 prototype into production with A contacts, Ghostless Coating and SP. Then they could followup with the M 35/1.4 . . . .

06-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
No desire for a superfast lens

If If I could afford a super fast lens I could afford the K-5 and wouldn't need it. And yes I know about the supposed benefits of super thin DOF. I'd much rather see Pentax developing a decent 24mm F/2.0 WR, and/or a 150 or 180 or 200mm F2.8 (or 3.5) true macro. I'm sure there is a greater market for either of these two lenses than a sub F/1.2 lens.

NaCl(which do you think would sell better? 24mm F/2.0 WR for @ $500 or 50mm F/1.0 for @$600?)H2O
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #78
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
If If I could afford a super fast lens I could afford the K-5 and wouldn't need it. And yes I know about the supposed benefits of super thin DOF. I'd much rather see Pentax developing a decent 24mm F/2.0 WR, and/or a 150 or 180 or 200mm F2.8 (or 3.5) true macro. I'm sure there is a greater market for either of these two lenses than a sub F/1.2 lens.

NaCl(which do you think would sell better? 24mm F/2.0 WR for @ $500 or 50mm F/1.0 for @$600?)H2O
well guess what, a f1.4 lens is still an f1.4 lens on the K-5. The k-5 is like having higher iso film only with better grain than film.
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #79
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(which do you think would sell better? 24mm F/2.0 WR for @ $500 or 50mm F/1.0 for @$600?)H2O
both.

06-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
well guess what, a f1.4 lens is still an f1.4 lens on the K-5. The k-5 is like having higher iso film only with better grain than film.
true but why would I need something that is less than F1.4 (or maybe even F/1.2?) I don't need it for the speed, the slightly brighter image in the VF doesn't thrill me much and as I said, I could care less about razor thin DOF. I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in these thoughts. I'd be willing to bet that if you polled ppl here (who are generally more sophisticated enthusiast photogs) to choose between a super fast 50mm and a WR wide angle 24 or 28mm @ F/2.0 the wide angle would win easily. Since the DA* 55mm F1..4 is running about $650 right now I'd assume that a F/1.0 lens in the same configuration would be at least $750. I have no idea what a DA* 24mm F/2.0 (or even F/2.5) would cost, but I doubt it would be more than what a DA* 50ish F/1.0 would cost.

NaCl(market demand is a big factor in R&D)H2O
06-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #81
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
true but why would I need something that is less than F1.4 (or maybe even F/1.2?) I don't need it for the speed, the slightly brighter image in the VF doesn't thrill me much and as I said, I could care less about razor thin DOF. I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in these thoughts. I'd be willing to bet that if you polled ppl here (who are generally more sophisticated enthusiast photogs) to choose between a super fast 50mm and a WR wide angle 24 or 28mm @ F/2.0 the wide angle would win easily. Since the DA* 55mm F1..4 is running about $650 right now I'd assume that a F/1.0 lens in the same configuration would be at least $750. I have no idea what a DA* 24mm F/2.0 (or even F/2.5) would cost, but I doubt it would be more than what a DA* 50ish F/1.0 would cost.

NaCl(market demand is a big factor in R&D)H2O
I thought you were responding in part to my post # 76 regarding the M 20/1.4 and M 35/1.4 prototypes. Obviously not because you are asking about bigger than 1.4. However, my point is that high iso can compliment fast glass. I really get annoyed by the masses looking at it is a crutch for slow glass.
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
both.
Doubtful, the DA* 55 F1.4 doesn't sell that well @ $650. I'm sure that a F/1.0 version of the same lens would be at least $750.

NaCl(maybe I'll do a poll)H2O
06-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #83
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(market demand is a big factor in R&D)H2O
I think this is the only sentence that really matters at this point in history for Pentax. So really stop asking for frivolous lenses and come to your sences!

And just another question to join the poll!

06-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I thought you were responding in part to my post # 76 regarding the M 20/1.4 and M 35/1.4 prototypes. Obviously not because you are asking about bigger than 1.4. However, my point is that high iso can compliment fast glass. I really get annoyed by the masses looking at it is a crutch for slow glass.
Who said anything about a crutch? I'm responding to the OP who mentioned F/1.0 glass. For my style of shooting I don't want the super thin DOF that F/1.0 glass produces, especially with the resultant focusing headaches. I own the fastest glass I can afford, Sigma 24mm F/1.8, Pentax K 50mm F/1.2, A 50mm F/1.7 (I sold both 50mm FA F/1.4 and the A F/1.4 as I liked the A F/1.7 better) K 135mm F/2.5, Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 and etc. To be truthful I use the A 50 F/1.7 much more than I do the K 50 F/1.2 in part because focusing the K at F/1.2 is difficult and I'm a good manual focuser. High ISO is good because it lets me shoot in lower light period. If I've got fast glass (and I do) I can shoot in even worse light.
My main point is that I would hope that Pentax/Hoya would put their limited R&D budget towards something more marketable, like a moderately fast WR and WA prime.

NaCl(it about allocating resources)H2O
06-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #85
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Who said anything about a crutch? I'm responding to the OP who mentioned F/1.0 glass. For my style of shooting I don't want the super thin DOF that F/1.0 glass produces, especially with the resultant focusing headaches. I own the fastest glass I can afford, Sigma 24mm F/1.8, Pentax K 50mm F/1.2, A 50mm F/1.7 (I sold both 50mm FA F/1.4 and the A F/1.4 as I liked the A F/1.7 better) K 135mm F/2.5, Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 and etc. To be truthful I use the A 50 F/1.7 much more than I do the K 50 F/1.2 in part because focusing the K at F/1.2 is difficult and I'm a good manual focuser. High ISO is good because it lets me shoot in lower light period. If I've got fast glass (and I do) I can shoot in even worse light.
My main point is that I would hope that Pentax/Hoya would put their limited R&D budget towards something more marketable, like a moderately fast WR and WA prime.

NaCl(it about allocating resources)H2O
Digital Camera bodies go obsolete, lens not so fast. The lenses I mention have already had a good bit of r&d go into them on the optics end. I am also looking at the big picture in that having a few items like those in the catalog and on the shelf is like a auto company sponsoring a race team.

I also think its good having a lens like the DA* 60-250mm/4 in the catalog but I don't own one.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think this is the only sentence that really matters at this point in history for Pentax. So really stop asking for frivolous lenses and come to your sences!

And just another question to join the poll!
Cranking out mega-tons of plasti-crap isn't going to create a place for Pentax nor sustain market share. There are different angles of sustainability. If they have to grow physically in order to mass produce a million 18-55 or 18-135mm type lenses every year at marginal profit, is that really a good sustainability model. The also need some diversity in the catalog or they may as well put all their resources into the p&s market. I am referring to some f1.4 lenses though and not too many faster except may an updated A50/1.2.

I guess it is frivolous unless it is something you are interested in.



Last edited by Blue; 06-15-2011 at 01:31 PM.
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
I think the fact that used versions of the A 50mm f/1.2 sell for as much or more than the new 55mm f/1.4 proves that there is demand for this type of glass and people are willing to pay for it.

The 31mm f/1.8 is a $1,000.00 lens made in limited production runs. Pentax could do the same with a 50mm f/1.2 and if the IQ is good enough people will pay a premium for it. Pentax has already proven that point.
06-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #87
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Cranking out mega-tons of plasti-crap isn't going to create a place for Pentax nor sustain market share. There are different angles of sustainability. If they have to grow physically in order to mass produce a million 18-55 or 18-135mm type lenses every year at marginal profit, is that really a good sustainability model. The also need some diversity in the catalog or they may as well put all their resources into the p&s market. I am referring to some f1.4 lenses though and not too many faster except may an updated A50/1.2.

I guess it is frivolous unless it is something you are interested in.
Well then thinking of wich lenses make people to buy a first Pentax dslr or to stay with the brand or to come back to it or to buy a second camerabody to work with that gear? Is there this 50mm/f1.0 the best choice for? Or would it be more attractive to develop DFA*200mm/f4 Macro? Completing the magical threesome FA-series with something on the wide-angle and something on the tele-site? Or offering a good long telelens for wildlifephotography?

I'm not going tho run on the Full Frame since this is a lenstopic and I'm not going to look for a FF at the time!
06-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #88
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Doubtful, the DA* 55 F1.4 doesn't sell that well @ $650. I'm sure that a F/1.0 version of the same lens would be at least $750.

NaCl(maybe I'll do a poll)H2O
well, we can't based the sales of a hypothetical F/1.0 on the existing DA*55/1.4 since both are still different. as mentioned, if we are going to look at the sales of both 55/1.4 and 50/1.2, the market for both are also different and not the same.
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Cranking out mega-tons of plasti-crap isn't going to create a place for Pentax nor sustain market share. There are different angles of sustainability. If they have to grow physically in order to mass produce a million 18-55 or 18-135mm type lenses every year at marginal profit, is that really a good sustainability model. The also need some diversity in the catalog or they may as well put all their resources into the p&s market. I am referring to some f1.4 lenses though and not too many faster except may an updated A50/1.2.
Just because a lens is popular doesn't mean that it's "plasti-crap". One of the very big holes in the Pentax lens line up is a decent WR wide angle prime. The shortest WR prime is now the DA* 55mm F/1.4. It would be really nice to have something wider in the WR lineup, either a DA* prime like the 55mm or just a reasonably fast (F/2.0, F/2.5 or even F/2.8) wide angle, either 24mm or even 28mm WR. That particular lens is easily the most popular of all the lenses in Ron H's poll, clicky pulling more than 10 percentage points higher than the 50mm F/1.0. That superfast lens is polling in the middle of the pack with only (as of right now) a fraction over 15%.
My point is that I would rather, and according to the poll, most other people would rather see a moderately fast wide angle WR than a super fast 50.

NaCl(it's a hole that should be filled)H2O
06-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
well, we can't based the sales of a hypothetical F/1.0 on the existing DA*55/1.4 since both are still different. as mentioned, if we are going to look at the sales of both 55/1.4 and 50/1.2, the market for both are also different and not the same.
I agree, but I wasn't thinking of that. What I was thinking of was a slimmed down version of Ron H's poll, pitting just the 24mm F/2.0 WR against the 50mm F/1.0. Just a popularity contest. I'm thinking that the 24mm would win hands down, but maybe that just because I'm lusting after that kind of WR and WA prime. I own the K 50mm F/1.2 and it's a nice lens and all, but I use my A 50mm F/1.7 much more because it's a LOT easier to focus, the metering is more accurate for the A and the auto aperture is more convenient. Besides I rarely need the slim DOF that comes with F/1.2

NaCl(a WR 24mm F/2.0 on the other hand...)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 06-15-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: got confused,,,substituted "Ron H" for "your"
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Example of AF, DR, high ISO and high shutter speed on K-5 benisona Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 11-30-2010 02:25 PM
People High Speed tootall Post Your Photos! 5 03-04-2010 06:36 AM
High speed fps - Pentax K100D IsaacSteiner Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 05-12-2009 12:00 PM
Make work a 50mm lens with my k100d super ? loopingz Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 12-16-2008 12:17 PM
Sigma EF 530 Super and high-speed sync mattdm Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 02-11-2008 05:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top