Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #1

Lenses from pawn shops?

Have any of you bought older lenses from pawn shops? What should i be looking for? I went and looked at one place and they seemed like they wanted a good amount of money for a much older lens i think it was a 50mm non mfg lens for 50bucks does that seem right? Or am i just thinking older lenses are worth less then they actually are.

11-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it really depends on the brand, and quality of the glass and lens body in general. Some 3rd party lenses are very sought after and very rare. There are times when a hidden gem can be staring at you in the face. I found a 50mm SMC A 1.7 pentax in a fleamarket for $28. ask the store owner if he'd let you try out the lens. take a few pictures, and if you determine its worth the money, then buy it.
11-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
So i should bring my camera to the shops eh?
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmorrill Quote
So i should bring my camera to the shops eh?

Anytime you buy a lens you should have your camera with you. Heck, I've got mine on me 24/7

11-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ive never actually bought a lens before hehe.
11-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't be afraid to offer less than the price they're asking. I buy quite a few things from pawnshops. They'll almost always come down on their prices. Naturally, the more expensive the item, the more room they'll have to come down on their price, though. If they're asking $50 for that lens, you might try offering them $30 and hope to settle for $35 or $40. Make sure the glass is good. No scratches on the surfaces...no fungus or dust on the internal elements. Look for oil on the aperture blades. You shouldn't see any or certainly barely any. Also check to make sure the aperture will stop down properly and that the aperture ring, focus ring, and zoom ring (if it has one) turn as they should. If all those things check out, the lens is probably okay. One other thing to look for is whether or not there's a filter on the lens. I've seen lenses that looked like they were really scratched up, but when you took the filter off, the glass underneath was in great shape. Uh...if you find one like that, be sure to put the screwed up filter back on and offer even less than you would otherwise because "the lens is all scratched!" Good luck!
11-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before you buy any used glass open the aperture right up, and look through it at the lights, or wall, or whatever will give you the best view of the internal lenses.

Look inside the camera for any particles on the lens it's self.
There could actually be something growing in there

Just specks of dust is alright, but anything that looks like what you'll see on the images at this link isn't