Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Pentax 60-250 AF Stopped Working

Hi all,

Been browsing these forums since last year when I bought my K20D, but this is the first time posting.

I bought a Pentax 60-250 3 weeks ago, the night I bought it I took it out to take some shots to see hat it was working correctly etc, and all was fine.
I went to use it last night, and the AF just isn't working. MF works fine, but there is little resistance as I turn the focus ring. It makes no difference whether the lens or body is in AF or MF.
What could this be? I have tried different lenses on the camera and all are still working fine. so Im sure it must be the lens with the problem.
Im quite disappointed that a lens as expensive as this one has developed a fault after only using it once.
I'm going to take it back to the shop I bought it from, but wondered what it could be?
Im not sure whether or not to take a replacement if an exchange is offered, or swap it for another couple of lenses.

any advice here?

06-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
gtl
Veteran Member

Well SDM problems has been very much discussed in this forum. Personally I would go get a sigma 70-200 or tamron 70-200, since its cheaper, and a stop faster.
06-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
wow that is bad news. Was it a brandnew copy? Coult also be damaged in transport.

seriesnumber would be nice to share.
06-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of this issue.
Have you tried repeated attempts of engaging the AF mechanism - some SDM motors need a kick-start with multiple AF hits. If it has suddenly stopped working you should consider a replacement or even exchange to another lens you feel you may be a good alternative.

06-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #5

I just bought one of these last week as a "new" open-box lens from an ebay seller and it was DOA. My K5 indicated that the MF/AF switch on the lens was working based on the camera display but the auto focus motor was just unresponsive. I called Pentax support and they suggested cleaning the contacts which did not help. The ebay seller is sending me a replacement open-box lens at no cost. Kind of makes me wonder why they have these open-box copies to start with?

Sadly, this is the second of five DA* lenses that I have purchased that have had the SDM fail.
06-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sc00ter Quote
I just bought one of these last week as a "new" open-box lens from an ebay seller and it was DOA. The ebay seller is sending me a replacement open-box lens at no cost. Kind of makes me wonder why they have these open-box copies to start with?
Well you all ordering and sending them back when you don't like them so there are in time only open-box lenses.

The lens is a pretty nice one to get a good copy off. Did a test with it recsently since I own one now for a few weeks.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/143968-da%2A60-250mm-f4-test.html
06-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I rented one when they first came out and the weatherproof O ring came unseated and caused the symptom you describe. I forced it a couple of times and took the lens off of the camera. You could clearly see the O Ring hanging down inside the lens. Two years later I bought a copy of the lens and I really like it.

06-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have shot with Canon for years and Olympus for several..... Never seen so many lens motor failures as I have seen with Pentax. You would think Pentax would have made some changes by now to improve QC or the designs.
06-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yet another SDM issue. Sad to hear. If possible, swap with non-SDM lenses.
06-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MattMoore Quote
Hi all,

Been browsing these forums since last year when I bought my K20D, but this is the first time posting.

I bought a Pentax 60-250 3 weeks ago, the night I bought it I took it out to take some shots to see hat it was working correctly etc, and all was fine.
I went to use it last night, and the AF just isn't working. MF works fine, but there is little resistance as I turn the focus ring. It makes no difference whether the lens or body is in AF or MF.
What could this be? I have tried different lenses on the camera and all are still working fine. so Im sure it must be the lens with the problem.
Im quite disappointed that a lens as expensive as this one has developed a fault after only using it once.
I'm going to take it back to the shop I bought it from, but wondered what it could be?
Im not sure whether or not to take a replacement if an exchange is offered, or swap it for another couple of lenses.

any advice here?
Funny. I read your thread, and then a few hours later I see another one on the same topic, except it's about a Nikon lens whose AF stopped working:
AF suddenly stopped working on my 80-200/2.8 AFS - Photo.net Nikon Forum.

Maybe have a look at the lens contacts on the lens mount and see if they are dirty.
06-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 60-250 isn't known for it's SDM failure rate. I did receive one from Amazon Warehouse Deals, that wasn't working correctly, but that was right out of the box. I wonder if you've got a similar issue with yours... some sort of manufacturer defect.
06-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've had my 60-250 now for more than 2 years and have taken it around the world.
still works like a charm. Best lens I have.
SDM failure reports for this lens on this forum have been rare so far.
There have been many 50-135 and many 16-50 failure reports though.
Since it is a new lens, it might be a new system failure.

Bert
06-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Try to turn the AF Screwdriver contact at the Bajonet with a small screwdriver.
Sometimes it is working after this.
06-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #14

Got my replacement DA* 60-250 from the big ebay seller today and this copy works great so far including the auto focus.
I was wondering if anyone can confirm that there is no fixed glass element on the rear of this lens? I don't know how I would have missed noticing this on my first defective copy. It is just a fuzzy hole and I can see way into the guts of the lens and the rear element moves in and out when zooming.
I chatted with Pentax support and their response was that all DA* lenses are like that which is not true, I have all but the 55 and all have a fixed rear element that is flush with the mount.
06-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sc00ter Quote
Got my replacement DA* 60-250 from the big ebay seller today and this copy works great so far including the auto focus.
I was wondering if anyone can confirm that there is no fixed glass element on the rear of this lens? I don't know how I would have missed noticing this on my first defective copy. It is just a fuzzy hole and I can see way into the guts of the lens and the rear element moves in and out when zooming.
I chatted with Pentax support and their response was that all DA* lenses are like that which is not true, I have all but the 55 and all have a fixed rear element that is flush with the mount.
A hole? A fuzzy hole? Can you post pics of this? With the lens mounted on the body, you shouldn't be able to look into the lens except through the front element. This lens has an internal focus and internal zoom design so the elements and or groups will re-align accordingly.