Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wait a minute.
I just realized something I completly missed.

The Synchro shutter will be completely closed until I trigger it.
I cant focus thru that!.. lol
That just made it a lot more complicated.

I would have to set it at T? so it stays fully open and focus thru that, then close it down, then Activate B on DSLR and finaly fire the shutte+flash.

Unless.

Can the shutter mechanism be reversed? I know I have done that on a couple of old manual lenses. I tried to adapt a Nikon lens to Pentax and managed to reverse the blades so that it opened instead of closing.
Has anyone any knowledge about doing that on one of these old shutters?

06-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Yeah, that FL would typically be used on a 5x7 camera, is my understanding, (At least that's where mine came from. )

If you go to medium format film, there's a good chance you could simply use a mechanical double cable release to some good effect.

Like I said, I'm *pretty* sure you can get away with triggering an electronic flash right off the LS, but I just can't recall how far we pushed the shutter speeds or flash durations, but as long as the shutter is open past where the aperture blades are stopped down to when the flash fires, you're good. Aha, wait, you've got a choice of FP and X synch there on that shutter, that ought to be one problem out of the way. I bet that's why I don't recall there being a problem with that.

But, yeah, you can use T to set up your shot, then switch to the shutter speed you want to use. For walking-around use or quicker-ness, just keep it on T and use it like a manual aperture lens.

As for those extension tubes, you could probably use one in front of and one behind the bellows (I have a short one for clearance with the camera body on my bellows, and I could add a medium one up front, put my mm39 adapter in *that,* and probably still even get infinity focus. )

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Wow.

Lots of answers and great info.

First things first.
When I first started thinking about that flash connection on old synchro shutters I wondered if it would be possible to build something for MEDIUM FORMAT
I forgot that this extremely sexy Voigtländer is Large Format

I have bought ( but not received yet) 1 Ikoflex + one similar unknown brand + a Voigtländer medium format. I wanted to try those shutters and lenses to see if I could use them on bellows with flash.

Using this specific LF lens would probably be hard unless I use
Camera -> "sewerpipe" ->Bellows -> lens in shutter.

Medium format is the way to go but the shutter thing would be the same wouldnt it?

I think I want to try the K5 on Bulb, a shutterrelease cable attached somewere handy on the bellows that opens the shutter and then triggers the flash.

As some pointed out those shutters were made for slower flashes so im not sure the shutter will open up when the flash goes off.

Another "slightly" crazyer idea might be to build an electronic remote that also fires a pin Shutter release cable thing + a small delay compensation setting but that is nothing I can build.
Something for an entrepreneur maybe?
A wireless little thing that can hook up to a Shutter Release cable AND send a signal to the Pentax k5 to release the shutter. Synced but with a small knob that adjusts a delay for either the SR cable or the DSLR signal.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-03-2011 at 07:11 AM.
06-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
If you go to medium format film, there's a good chance you could simply use a mechanical double cable release to some good effect.
How would that work?

One button goes out 2 cables and one of them opens the shutter which then fires the flash but what to do with the other cable?
06-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

How would that work?

One button goes out 2 cables and one of them opens the shutter which then fires the flash but what to do with the other cable?
The other triggers the camera's shutter. Unfortunately, DSLRs just leave out that simple screw fitting these days, but most MF cameras have it, or an available adapter to one. Anyway, at least your synch speed worries are over. There's several ways to make it all operate.

06-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The other triggers the camera's shutter. Unfortunately, DSLRs just leave out that simple screw fitting these days, but most MF cameras have it, or an available adapter to one.
Huh?

I didnt think my K5 could use a shutter release cable or are there some new cables that works and if so pleeease point me in the right direction.

06-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Huh?

I didnt think my K5 could use a shutter release cable or are there some new cables that works and if so pleeease point me in the right direction.

Oh, that was for if you wanted to hook all this up to a medium format camera, as I thought you were saying. I'm not sure how or if there's a way to hook up a mechanical cable release to a K5: (If there's a way to do that, it probably involves an electronic cable remote that has the mechanical fitting in it. I know of no such thing in particular. ) but since you have X synch on your lens-shutter, you probably won't really need to. Just hook up your flash to the Compur, set up your shot on T with the shutter open, then switch to your desired shutter speed on the lens. Open the camera's shutter on B, then fire the lens-shutter.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-03-2011 at 07:25 AM.
06-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just hook up your flash to the Compur, set up your shot on T with the shutter open, then switch to your desired shutter speed on the lens. Open the camera's shutter on B, then fire the lens-shutter.
hehe
Well.
Thats a very long sentence with a lot of maneuvres and it starts with "Just"

Im more thinking about the possibility to reverse the shutterblades on the compur so that it works like a modern lens. Stays closed to the set F-stop until something opens it and shuts down on shutter release.
I posted about that a couple of posts up. Not sure its possible until someone with mechanical knowledge of these LS chips in or I get one under my fingers.
06-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

hehe
Well.
Thats a very long sentence with a lot of maneuvres and it starts with "Just"

Im more thinking about the possibility to reverse the shutterblades on the compur so that it works like a modern lens. Stays closed to the set F-stop until something opens it and shuts down on shutter release.
I posted about that a couple of posts up. Not sure its possible until someone with mechanical knowledge of these LS chips in or I get one under my fingers.
Yeah, like I said, whatever you do, these lenses are not made for auto-stopdown. Some LS lenses for medium format SLR cameras are made to do that, though.

I said 'Just' cause what I said is how you'd use that lens shutter if you wanted to do it through a groundglass and use a film magazine: you're just substituting the DSLR for the film holder/ magazine and darkslide. (And if I'm not showing *my* age, there, saying 'just,' ...certainly that of some of my teachers. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-03-2011 at 09:34 AM.
06-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, like I said, whatever you do, these lenses are not made for auto-stopdown. Some LS lenses for medium format shutters are made to do that, though.
Oh.
Could you name a couple?
That might be an interesting quest to pursue if I fail with my MF cameras.
06-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Oh.
Could you name a couple?
That might be an interesting quest to pursue if I fail with my MF cameras.

Well, the best place to start would be what MF cameras you actually *have* already: I'm thinking SLRs here: Mamiya made plenty, (maybe even a 150, though I'm not sure how common that is,) All Bronica ETR-series are leaf-shutter lenses, too, and of course there's Hassie/Kiev.

And of course, there's a few for the 6x7: I've actually used those. back somewhere in the mists of the 80's.
06-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #26

Photos: Gallery
There is a much simpler way! Set the compur shutter to B and then just use the setup as a bellows lens. You can take the pics using the shutter in the Dslr and use that to fire the flash.

As a Certain Meercat would say "Simple!"

Compare the Meerkat not Compare the Market

Kim
06-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
There is a much simpler way! Set the compur shutter to B and then just use the setup as a bellows lens. You can take the pics using the shutter in the Dslr and use that to fire the flash.

As a Certain Meercat would say "Simple!"

Compare the Meerkat not Compare the Market

Kim
Not sure where B helps as opposed to T, especially if it's high speed synch she's looking for... You thinking double cable release (via whatever adapter, if those exist) and camera shutter hopefully opening at fast speed at the right moment? Could work. (Or could put us right back to where the K-5 needs HSS-capable flash to exceed 1/180 sec.... Yeah, unless I'm missing something, there's just no point in using the camera's fast shutter-speeds when one could just leave the lens-shutter open and treat it as a manual-aperture lens. As far as I can figure, there's no way to make this sort of lens-shutter 'auto-stopdown,' the aperture blades just aren't loaded that way or made to be: they move with the lever, and that's what they do. The shutter blades and all they are attached to are a whole separate mechanism.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-03-2011 at 09:57 AM.
06-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Just hook up your flash to the Compur, set up your shot on T with the shutter open, then switch to your desired shutter speed on the lens. Open the camera's shutter on B, then fire the lens-shutter.
I believe RML has it right, I don't see how else you would do this and maintain the leaf shutter flash capability.

150mm lens was considered as a normal lens for a 4x5 camera. According to my Linhof camera's distance scale (for the rangefinder cam), it's about 150mm at infinity and 210mm at MFD. I don't have my Pentax Bellows handy but you might be able to mount up to 210mm large format lens on to a Pentax bellows or it's equivalent. The maximum extension of your bellows will tell you the maximum focal length lens you can use with your set up.

Thanks,