Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #31
Pentaxian

If you can return it do so. If you can't shoot a few hundred pictures with it in different situations and if you still don't like it sell it.

With the FA31 for me it was love at first sight, the very first image I pulled up on the computer screen looked beautiful. Much like my DA70. For other lenses; like my DA15 and FA77, I really didn't like them much for the first hundred shots or so, but now those 2 lenses (along with the FA31) are my "go to kit" for almost every situation and my favourite lenses that I couldn't ever part with. Now my 21/40/70 pancakes are getting lonely and hoping to get called up for when I do some travelling...

06-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by napawino Quote
What sort of quality could I expect from this lens. It's definitely not "upper tier".
don't underestimate this lens just because it's considerably cheap.
06-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I think the 60-250 is a lot better then the 55-300, but then again, there is a pricetag. The price difference between 31mm and 60-250 overhere isn't that big that's why I brought it up (1139 euro for 31mm to 1249 euro).

If you are not going to use the 31mm, then I would sell it or trait it in for a lens I would use.

But it is still on my wishlist
I had the dilemma of having to justify a purchase of the Sigma 100-300/4. although it is a remarkable, I could live with what the DA55-300 can offer. at the end of the day, weight and length played an integral part of not shelling out budget and leave me shorthanded for other prospect buys. the only things that would make me consider the Sigma 100-300 would be, if I had more money and budget to justify the buy and I'll only use it for certain occasions. it's just too heavy for me to carry around all-day as a walk-around lens.
06-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's just too heavy for me to carry around all-day as a walk-around lens.
I know this is OT - but really? the Sigma 100-300mm f/4, is too big for you to carry around all day? I'll admit I do use a carbon fibre monopod with mine occasionally, but I have hand held far heavier lenses than that with my canon and nikon cameras and I'm no body builder.

06-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I know this is OT - but really? the Sigma 100-300mm f/4, is too big for you to carry around all day? I'll admit I do use a carbon fibre monopod with mine occasionally, but I have hand held far heavier lenses than that with my canon and nikon cameras and I'm no body builder.
yup, it's too big for me. the only time that I would carry one is if's the only lens I'm intending to use for that specific occasion. tripod use on one set location is fine for me. and yes, it's an issue for me carrying it the whole day when I'm on the go for 4hours and just being all over the place. I already cut-off some significant weight when I went Pentax.
06-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is always possible that you will learn to visualize at the angle of view that the FA31 presents, if you use it exclusively for a period of time. Shooting at a single focal length is a very good exercise for stimulating creativity. However, if you ultimately find that the focal length does not suit your photographic interests or aesthetic sense, then there is no reason to hold onto the lens, other than for its potential investment value.

Rob
06-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #37

Original Poster
I'm thinking that I will let the "return window" close, and leave it on the K-5 for a while. If, after a month or two, I still haven't bonded with it, I'll sell it on the Marketplace. I can take a hit on the price, and pretend it was a rental lens!

Also, I have ordered the DA 50-300mm to fill my need for longer reach. You guys "sold" me on trying it.

Thanks for all the comments and opinions. They really helped.

Last edited by napawino; 06-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.
06-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #38
Site Supporter

I have the DAL 55-300 and it's fabulous. Can't be beaten for the price.

I *almost* got an FA31 and probably would have, had the opportunity arisen. However, I ended up "settling" on the DA21 and DA35 macro instead, and am glad I did. While I thought the 21 would be a little too wide for me, I'm digging it as a walk-around lens quite a bit. The 35 is an almost perfect "normal" lens while also giving me macro capabilities. It's a nice combo. Mind you, I also own the FA43 and DA70, and figured the silver trio (21/43/70) would be a great compact travel kit. I do love primes though

Good luck with it though... if you learn to enjoy the FOV you get from the 31, you'll love it from all the glowing things I've heard about it! It's certainly worth a little bit of a persistent "try".

06-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Those panos are great. Another option for me that I hadn't thought about. How hard are they to do?
They're not hard, but I do recommend the following:

1) A decent program to do the stitching (Photoshop, PTGui, Hugin, etc.)

2) A good tripod

3) Pano head or a rotator like one of the Nodal Ninja units. I use a Manfrotto 300N. This helps you to consistently get good overlap either through physical stops built into the head or a rotation scale or some sort

4) A leveling head like the Manfrotto 338 or Nodal Ninja Leveler. This helps to that you don't have a crooked horizon when you rotate.

Here's a decent how-to guide. I personally like using the 31mm in the portrait orientation for panoramas. It works very well for me.
06-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm thinking that I will let the "return window" close, and leave it on the K-5 for a while. If, after a month or two, I still haven't bonded with it, I'll sell it on the Marketplace. I can take a hit on the price, and pretend it was a rental lens!

Also, I have ordered the DA 50-300mm to fill my need for longer reach. You guys "sold" me on trying it.

Thanks for all the comments and opinions. They really helped.
Personally, I will be very interested in how this experiment goes. Please give us some follow-up. My bet is that the image quality and rendering of the FA31 will eventually win you over. Your other lenses may begin to look a bit sad in comparison.

Good luck.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 06-07-2011 at 01:17 PM.
06-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #41

Original Poster
I think it will have a place. I have ordered the 50-300mm and a 100mm Macro. So between the 18-55mm , the 31mm Ltd, the 50-300mm and the 100 Macro, I should have all my needs covered, and I can allow the 31 to show me what it can do, without worrying about being too short or too long.
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I think it will have a place. I have ordered the 50-300mm and a 100mm Macro. So between the 18-55mm , the 31mm Ltd, the 50-300mm and the 100 Macro, I should have all my needs covered, and I can allow the 31 to show me what it can do, without worrying about being too short or too long.
That sounds like a plan. I think that if you have an eye for subtlety, you will notice a different character to the images from the FA31. This is not to say that your other lenses are not fine, but just that the 31 Limited renders differently. This is true of all the FA Limiteds and is the main reason why they are so prized by some of us.

Rob
06-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #43
Veteran Member

you might want to consider the Sigma 8-16 for ultra-wide use in the future as well. that would cover all the focal lengths completely and without overlapping one lens after the other.
06-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you might want to consider the Sigma 8-16 for ultra-wide use in the future as well. that would cover all the focal lengths completely and without overlapping one lens after the other.
I was thinking about something similar. But probably not for a while. I'd have to learn to keep my feet out of the shot!