Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #1

Pentax 28-70mm F4 AL - good enough substitute for K100D kit lens?

I was supposed to purchase the K100D kit today from a local store; but disappointingly, they didn't have stock of the kit lens However, someone's selling me the Pentax 28-70mm F4 AL. I'm still asking for the price, but is it a good lens? I've done some research and I've read that it's apparently pretty good. What do you guys think?

11-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
here's a link to the review

I don't have one, but it sounds like it'll give you good images.
Although it sounds like it's very poorly constructed.

Unless I could see and try one in person, or was certain that the seller was honest I'd be leary of buying one used
If it was known as a tough lens I'd be more inclined to buy it sight unseen.

I don't know what other lens to suggest. It would help if I knew what your planning on using it for.
11-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I have this lens and on my *ist-D its performance was not on par with my FA24-90. It's OK, but not particularly good in IQ IMO. It may be be little better than the kit lens but not by much.

Another concern might be the limited FOV range, about the same as a 42-105 lens on 35mm film. I would miss the wide end capability of the kit lens. You might look on eBay for a reasonably-priced DA18-55.
11-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had this lens. The image quality I had was pretty good. A little distortion at the wide end but overall sharp and snappy. This I attribute this to the aspherical construction. Size wise, the lens is very compact but like many FA series zoom lenses, nothing fantastic build quality wise. The focal range is a little limited factoring the crop factor but it makes for a good party/people lens. The constant f4 aperture is useful, as is the presence of an aperture ring. I would say a little better than many of the so-so zooms Pentax made.

11-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
I was supposed to purchase the K100D kit today from a local store; but disappointingly, they didn't have stock of the kit lens However, someone's selling me the Pentax 28-70mm F4 AL. I'm still asking for the price, but is it a good lens? I've done some research and I've read that it's apparently pretty good. What do you guys think?
Seems like we have the same seller (I though at first he was selling the 28-70mm F2.8).

Will be buying it from him.
11-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also have this lens. It is quite sharp and has a nice contrast provided you stop it down a bit. (f5 or so) Wide open the images have slightly soft contrast and a bit of an odd look to the highlights (a bit of fringing and ghosting)

It is definitely better than the kit lens and for what I paid ($99 CDN) I have no regrets.
11-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I used to own the lens too. Image quality on digital ranges from good to very good. I heard it that it performed very well on film too. I sold it because I also got Tamron 28-75/2.8 and use that more often than I do with the 28-70/4. Built-quality-wise, Tamron is better too.

cheers
Kenny